NYC Architecture and Development

found5dollar

Reaction score
Y'All. I'm in Moynihan Train Hall right now and all the trains are delayed by hours. Hundreds of people are waiting. Know what would be helpfull? Some benches. Put benches in Moynihan Train Hall. I was sitting on this ledge and got told I couldn't sit there by security. There are people sitting on heaters, on counters of closed coffee shops, on the stairs, against the glass railings to the gates, even just in the middle of floor. Know where they are not sitting? On benches. Becasue there are none.

Attachments

vanshnookenraggen

Staff member
Reaction score
If they have tickets there is seating areas. Sorry people can't figure that one out.

found5dollar

Reaction score
If they have tickets there is seating areas. Sorry people can't figure that one out.
The "ticketed waiting area" was full, it had a line of people waiting to get in but couldn't. There were also plenty of people waiting to meet people that were delayed and couldn't get into the seating area because they didn't have tickets. The commodification of seating in the train hall is it's biggest glaring problem. People should be able to sit reasonably comfortably in a public space for free.

Last edited:

vanshnookenraggen

Staff member
Reaction score
While I don't disagree, there are three other factors at play here. First, once they are open the multitude of food vendors will also allow for seating. Second, this is an Amtrak operations problem far more than a seating problem. Third, and worst of all, the city has been so lax on the homeless issue for so long that we can't have nice things. But the last issue is why there are no seats. No politician seems to actually want to fix the homeless problem in the city and until they do, we won't have public seating (or more public restrooms for that matter). The alternative is to have "limited" public seating where cops can kick people out. That would cause far more of a stir than simply not having seating.

Czervik.Construction

Reaction score
"Old" Penn Station had no seating, either - none on the Amtrak/street level and none on the lower LIRR/NJT level. Plus no light and super cramped/claustrophobic - And in the old setup, you had old narrow hallways/doorways for the throngs of people.

Czervik.Construction

Reaction score
I was in NYC last month and took a few shots. I love this time of year as this is the only time where sun shines on the north side of buildings.

50 Hudson Yards on the left, the BIG spiral is in the middle and a rando 700 footer going up on the right.

found5dollar

Reaction score
More people are getting mad at the lack of seating at Moynihan. The sheer number of people having to sit on the floor is crazy. If it is truly a "once the rest of the hall opens there will be seating" problem the they should put in temporary seating until that is open. People shouldn't have to buy stuff to have a seat in a public train hall.

found5dollar

Reaction score
"Old" Penn Station had no seating, either - none on the Amtrak/street level and none on the lower LIRR/NJT level. Plus no light and super cramped/claustrophobic - And in the old setup, you had old narrow hallways/doorways for the throngs of people.
And we all agree "old" penn station was an unimaginable failure and not built for the people that use it. If we wanted it to just be the same then why did we build a new shiny train hall?

found5dollar

Reaction score
While I don't disagree, there are three other factors at play here. First, once they are open the multitude of food vendors will also allow for seating. Second, this is an Amtrak operations problem far more than a seating problem. Third, and worst of all, the city has been so lax on the homeless issue for so long that we can't have nice things. But the last issue is why there are no seats. No politician seems to actually want to fix the homeless problem in the city and until they do, we won't have public seating (or more public restrooms for that matter). The alternative is to have "limited" public seating where cops can kick people out. That would cause far more of a stir than simply not having seating.
The homeless issue is what drives me the most up the wall. The solution is to house people, not give people less places to sit. Because the city won't address real issues in housing, affordability, and mental health we all get a more uncomfortable city where those who need seating or restrooms can't have them.

vanshnookenraggen

Staff member
Reaction score
The homeless issue is what drives me the most up the wall. The solution is to house people, not give people less places to sit. Because the city won't address real issues in housing, affordability, and mental health we all get a more uncomfortable city where those who need seating or restrooms can't have them.
I agree 100%.