NYC Architecture and Development

For those who forget, here's the original 2 WTC design.
1639018905291.png

And here's the piece of crap that stick was saying the Hudson Yards building is ripping off. Hudson Yards looks like they flipped this one upside down!
1639018948471.png

I hate everything about the proposed Hudson Yards tower...

The original Foster WTC2 2.0 proposal was gorgeous, hopefully that comes back.

^Thanks for the reminder to make my half annual check-in on 2 WTC. The news has been Foster+Partners was back on as the designer, though it was unclear whether the original design was going to stay, and it seemed like the project was never going to lift off the ground.

According to this article, they are close to starting construction within the next 6-12 months. We'll see hopefully a similar design to the original, fingers crossed. Foster has been designing some blandness lately.

I'm really hoping that this isn't the new design. The 2006 design was amazing and it would be such a shame if a non-noteworthy tower was built in its place.

Last edited:
I'm really hoping that this isn't the new design. The 2006 design was amazing and it would be such a shame if a non-noteworthy tower was built in its place.

Who in their right mind at Silverstein or Foster+Partners would prefer this over the 2006 one?

Arguably, they changed the redeeming part of it, and kept the more boring part, then added unnecessary pieces and setbacks that are more in-line with the recent F+P tower blandness.

1639089675531.png

Who in their right mind at Silverstein or Foster+Partners would prefer this over the 2006 one?

Arguably, they changed the redeeming part of it, and kept the more boring part, then added unnecessary pieces and setbacks that are more in-line with the recent F+P tower blandness.

It's pretty insane how they have such an amazing design sitting right there in front of them and they (seemingly) don't want to choose it.

And to be clear, I mean the original, slanted roof design. Was by far the best of all 3 designs for the tower.

Last edited:
The only thing wrong with the slanted roof design is that the top diamond should have glass all the way up. All we have to do is look at the way the new State Street crown still disappears from many angles to realize the visual value of fully cladding it. Leaving it open like that looks lazy and stupid.

Why is everyone fussing about the BIG design? Silverstein gave it back to Foster Partners already when certain proposed tenants, like Deutsche Bank decided to pull out of WTC area and move up to Columbus Circle in the Time Warner Center (CNN left and went to Hudson Yards).

The FP design will be modified given our new realities, but FP is back on.

Why is everyone fussing about the BIG design? Silverstein gave it back to Foster Partners already when certain proposed tenants, like Deutsche Bank decided to pull out of WTC area and move up to Columbus Circle in the Time Warner Center (CNN left and went to Hudson Yards).

The FP design will be modified given our new realities, but FP is back on.

Nobody is. We're now fussing over the new design in post 444. The BIG design I posted in 441 was to compare to the new Hudson Yards giant tower that looks like they flipped that design upside down.

have y'all see this yet?

I'm in it for the new public space and how it pulls back to keep Grand Central visible. I can't quite wrap my head around the new interior public spaces including subway and passage upgrades but on principle I'm for them. The design seems ok and I'm interested in the structural engineering of the mega columns at the base but the building just looks soooooo damn phallic. Like, we aren't even trying to pretend tall buildings aren't dicks an more.

View attachment 10136
View attachment 10137
View attachment 10140
View attachment 10138
View attachment 10141
View attachment 10139

images from here:
https://newyorkyimby.com/2021/02/16...75-park-avenue-in-midtown-east-manhattan.html

And the City Council just approved the rezoning needed to build this.

Man, I don't know... NIMBYs here are worried about the Manhattanization of Downtown Boston, which is definitely overblown, but if Manhattan keeps following the "Dubaification" effect, I'm going to start siding with the NIMBYs here... /s But in all seriousness, Boston can go without the array of awkward pencil towers and/or lazy architecture. SOM, F+P, OMA, and Adjaye are much better than what's been proposed the past few months. At least BIG is consistent in their mediocrity...

520 Fifth Ave looks nice, though. Its a shame that the 37 residential floors will only host 98 units -- Haven't we been told the ultra-luxury scene in NY was oversaturated?

I've been wondering for awhile, but when do you think NYC builds something that surpasses the WTC1 tower in height? This decade? 2030? Stuff has gotten close but then been chopped down into the 1500-1600ft range.

Hasn't something already been built that surpasses the roof height tho? One of the 57th St super talls. I couldn't give a shit about 1WTC's strap on horn.

Yeah, at least one of those towers has a higher roof height (and I think more like two or three of them at this point).

Back