NYC Architecture and Development

Dude get over yourself. This is a statistical outlier in terms of design. And it's a poor Robert Stern knock off. Most everything is a glass box. Or worse. Nothing is changing here.

Do you have a link to that proposal?
I'm all for less glass curtainwall, more solidity and deliberate punched fenestration.

But that tower is really awkward looking. The base looks truncated and stubby. Not sure how I feel about the huge range of window sizes and types either. I appreciate the attempt though.

Another one

"100 claremont avenue" 3041 broadway
3041-Broadway.jpg

Link

Other cities are just finally starting to get glass towers now while Nyc already has been chock full of them and moved on to the next era of greatness and iconic structures and materials 5 years ago.

I'm sorry but this is borderline delusional. Keep writing those narratives, pal.

As a resident of a 700+ foot tall, new glass box, I will second that although there are some really interesting stone/masonry buildings going up, most are on the UES and midtown. The rest of the city, especially my Hudson Yards, is glass box central. I love my building, but the exterior was designed in an afternoon over a coffee.

50 Hudson Yards (Blackrock HQ) and The Spiral (on the right) are back in almost full swing again this week.
49950109216_39f1483c3d_c.jpg

A more detailed shot of The Spiral. Can someone explain why one would choose between a concrete core or steel core. These buildings are about the same dimensions of height and width, both office space.
49950403487_423d852a4d_c.jpg

And for more glass boxes, 555 West 38th is making progress. Was beehive of activity today. Pelli Clarke Pelli & SLCE architects (pic below from the SCLE site).

1590794649870.png

49950405412_ef5f0a5837_c.jpg

Last edited:
See above, pal.

Two limestone buildings going up every five years in the Upper East Side does not beget "the next era of greatness and iconic structures and materials." You're fixating on the 1% of development, ignoring the crap 99%, and extrapolating that out to an "era"... come on man, that's ridiculous.

I posted 10 examples. Not to mention I never specified "limestone" anyways, but regardless buildings like that were not being built until 30 park place, so idk what you want to call it but clearly theres been a shift. The majority of anything is always going to be generic, that doesnt mean that there arent changes happening at the upper end, clearly there is.

Anyways, I was talking overall about a shift towards "great" architecture that would include steinway tower, tower verre, 45 broad st, 9 dekalb etc.. which are not focused around just limestone facades, but a more "art deco" or whatever you want to call it design. Im glad to see architecture moving in this direction. I never said nyc is not building glass boxes, of course they are, everywhere is and its getting old. Thats why Im glad to see a shift starting to take place which is originating in nyc and hopefully will spread from there and hopefully trickle down to the masses as well. Idk whats so bad about that but ppl really need to chill out with how they talk to ppl on here behind their computer screen. We can all be respectful here and respectfully agree or disagree no need for the attitude so calm down, its a freaking architecture forum, not that serious..

Last edited:
Plus, let's face it. The UES sucks. :p

Two limestone buildings going up every five years in the Upper East Side does not beget "the next era of greatness and iconic structures and materials." You're fixating on the 1% of development, ignoring the crap 99%, and extrapolating that out to an "era"... come on man, that's ridiculous.

I love you, bro, but look at my recent pics today.... all glass boxes. And in the background, you see more glass boxes. For every classy AF 220 CPS and 520 Park Ave, there are 10 600-800 ft tall glass boxes. The volume of stuff down here is pretty dull and very expensive.
I posted 10 examples.

Where did I say nyc isnt building any glass boxes? Of course they are.

Someone said that EVERYTHING is a glass box which isnt true, thats why I quoted that and showed examples of buildings going up that are not. That does not equal me saying that no glass boxes are being built.

My entire point was just that there are some great buildings going up, with some of the elements that made great classical buildings in the past and its good to see. Yes the majority of the masses are mediocre like everything in life. But at least there has been a shift recently towards some of the elements that made great buildings in the past coming back. Its not the majority, obviously, but I appreciate seeing some things come back in a few recent towers, which the examples are above. Not that big a deal.

Last edited:
Construction Wraps On Vandewater At 543 West 122nd Street In Morningside Heights

k1bXklZ4.jpeg

6cODPLE.jpeg

UXIJkUaI.jpeg

Link

How much taller are those u/c buildings in your view going to get?

The spiral 1041ft.
50 hudson yards 1011ft.
3 hudson blvd 1060ft.
555 west 38th st 565ft.

The spiral
latest

66-hudson-boulevard-1.jpg

50 hudson yards
50-Hudson-Yards-592x1200-592x1200.jpg

50-Hudson-Yards.png

3 hudson blvd
3_Hudson_Blvd01_skyline-1.jpg