Official Gun Control Debate Thread

Can we limit the number of social and institutional problems we're trying to solve? I propose:
"Homicidal people with powerful weapons" as the general problem and
"crazy people with guns" as the addressable subset

In this, Colorado's plan (above) of universal background checks and a streamlined mental health and civil commitment program is looking pretty elegant, without crossing the line to give The State too much power or The People too few tools to defend their freedom.

It will be interesting to see if the "progressives", who were the driving force behind the abandonment of effective mental health controls and who are now advancing gun control measures to limit the consequences of their policies, can reverse course on mental health.

I am not as optimistic as you are.

"no offense, you only come off as having no strong valid arguments when you harp on a TV journalists non-prosecution for showing a ammo clip on TV. I am also inclined to think that if they did prosecute him, you would say it is a waste of government resources to go after a citizen that is holding something that you think is protected by the constitution and easily purchased at a Walmart in in Virginia."

The law is stupid, this an example of why it is stupid, and Gregory isn't being prosecuted because he is connected enough to not have an overzealous DA ignore the stupidity of the law. However, despite all of this the same people are still pushing for even more of these stupid laws, which they themselves think are stupid and shouldn't apply to themselves. If the press and politicians want to pass dumb fucking laws they better abide by them and face the same consequences as the general public.

See this editorial for the same sentiment expressed by someone with a greater command of English.
http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/337702/david-gregory-and-decline-rule-law-david-french

"If you really are that concerned about David Gregory and the crime he committed, you should be worried about the fact that one can so easily gain access to things like this and bring them into other jurisdictions where they are illegal."

BECAUSE THE WAR ON DRUGS SMASHING SUCCESS IN THE SAME REGARD!

But who gave him those orders? The Illuminati, the Lizard People, or Queen Elizabeth? It must have been someone pretty powerful in order to get this whole thing to go down on a show hardly anyone watches anymore.

I take it you never heard of the JournoList? Doesn't take much to get all the friendly like minded media people to figuratively blow each other on the internet and coordinate or ignore stories to satisfy their peers.

Last edited:

Back