Omni Hotel @ BCEC | Summer St | Seaport

According to this document Boston had about 19,000 hotel rooms in 2014 (page 3). So let's assume we're somewhere near 20,000 now - this hotel would bump up the supply of rooms by 5% on its own. That's pretty huge.

A station in the basement lobby would be fantastic.

Instead lets eliminate some ROW and make it 1 track forever

I bet they could make a few places along the line that split into two tracks so trains can pass eachother.

I actually like where the pike is exposed there. Gives you a break from the tunnel monotony and you get to see up into the seaport. Its not that bad really.

This is just a massing model for this hotel but it shows the density that is slowly creeping up along the BCEC. These new buildings will block the back side of waterside place which is also a huge win. The front honestly isnt that bad.

Innovating-Boston-Public-Spaces-The-BCEC-D-Street-Lot-Project-3.jpg

I cannot for the life of me figure out the orientation of the picture showing the Omni hotel sign with all the flags above it. It looks completely straight, and a Bob's Steakhouse sign is in the corner. But the first floor plan shows Bob's to be in the northwesst corner, and the side facing the convention center has a cut in for valet parking and the like. This picture would make sense if there wasn't a busy road with people walking, which is clearly not what is going to happen where the building faces the haul road. Why is this picture not making ANY sense to me?

A station in the basement lobby would be fantastic.

Instead lets eliminate some ROW and make it 1 track forever

With all of the talk about building a station near the convention center, there's been precious little thought put into placing the station in a central location where it would be remotely useful.

I cannot for the life of me figure out the orientation of the picture showing the Omni hotel sign with all the flags above it. It looks completely straight, and a Bob's Steakhouse sign is in the corner. But the first floor plan shows Bob's to be in the northwesst corner, and the side facing the convention center has a cut in for valet parking and the like. This picture would make sense if there wasn't a busy road with people walking, which is clearly not what is going to happen where the building faces the haul road. Why is this picture not making ANY sense to me?

Perhaps a ...
mis·take
məˈstāk
noun
an action or judgment that is misguided or wrong.
"coming here was a mistake"
synonyms: error, fault, inaccuracy, omission, slip, blunder, miscalculation, misunderstanding, oversight, misinterpretation, gaffe, faux pas, solecism;

Definitely something off about that picture. It is the side facing the convention center, but the cut for the valet is missing. The rendering below it appears to be zoomed out from the same orientation and you can see pillars that would have the valet under cover of the floors above. Those pillars and the valet are completely missing in the middle rendering.

I just chalked it up to one of the renders is older but they still used it because they didn't have a new one from that angle showing the details of what goes where that that image depicts. I would imagine the version including the one with the flags from street view is probably the newest iteration because they are much more detailed. Thats most likely the explanation and that image is just an older version of the development.

The ground level is incredible especially if you take into account the area, the outdoor huge lcd tv screens across the st, the BCEC outdoor area under the awning, the hotel right across the st. Looks to be some great indoor/outdoor seating areas for nice restaurants and even the flags are visually interesting to the eye and a nod to the global city Boston is. If the precast portion of the towers stay on the recent trend of being very good that mixed with the glass will look amazing. Im excited to see this. I think Boston should have weaseled a station out of them like with New Balance as a part of the masterplan. This would give better options for egress into the station. Either way theyll leave enough room for it to be built.

We dont even know yet if that is even the best place for a station. On haul rd at the end of the BCEC with stairs up to Summer st looks like a good option well. But then you have South Station right across the bridge so not completely necessary. It looks like to serve more people it would be best to put it next to D st as they could here or across the st.

My understanding is that the freight lead is connected to the main line pointing south, away from South Station, so that any shuttle usage would require a back up move. I look forward to being corrected by F Line in the transit forums.

According to this document Boston had about 19,000 hotel rooms in 2014 (page 3). So let's assume we're somewhere near 20,000 now - this hotel would bump up the supply of rooms by 5% on its own. That's pretty huge.

I wonder if this project will push the two still-undeveloped Fan Pier parcels away from hotel.

I wonder if this project will push the two still-undeveloped Fan Pier parcels away from hotel.

I don't think this will saturate hotel demand in the Seaport. Even with this addition, big conventions pull hotel demand all across the city and into the burbs. This is not enough to change that dynamic, which often sucks for the visitors.

We had several days last summer when there was zero availability within 50 miles of Boston. The closest availability was in Providence! We still need a lot more hotel rooms.

I have to add this, there is potential added economic benefit to have more hotel rooms this close to the convention center to attract more conventions. There may be some conventions that are held elsewhere due to more hotel availability so close to other convention centers.

This would have been a great spot for an LA Live type of combination property with a regular Marriott in one tower and a JW Marriott or Ritz in the other. A thousand room Omni just sounds depressing.

we need 7,500 more hotel rooms, yesterday.

in this town you're lucky if you can get a room.

this is fine.

this is fine.

In your opinion. Obviously the market in Boston for hotels is not as strong as you'd like to believe if this was considered the best proposal - a two bit national chain with no appeal to people under sixty and a crappy loyalty program.

More fun reading from several years back. It alludes to the need for hotel rooms near BCEC in order to attract more/bigger events (i.e. a need for 8000 rooms nearby when there are currently ~2,000). The Omni and other recent Seaport hotel projects (Yotel, One Seaport Square, Aloft, Element, et al) are a huge boon toward reaching that goal.

^ I wholeheartedly agree that the Greater Boston hotel market is under-supplied, but also keep in mind that every single convention center authority everywhere says that they desperately need more space and more hotel rooms. Their reports should be read with a healthy portion of skepticism.

This would have been a great spot for an LA Live type of combination property with a regular Marriott in one tower and a JW Marriott or Ritz in the other. A thousand room Omni just sounds depressing.

Programming-wise, I think One Seaport Square will immediately become the neighborhood's "LA Live." Working to improve the connectivity from the BCEC to One Seaport Square via new developments along the way (hopefully more hotels) will ensure both succeed.

Given the amount of ground floor retail and connectivity to WTC station proposed with the Omni Hotel (along with schematics of more video screens along Summer Street), I think this development fulfills that long-term vision.

In your opinion. Obviously the market in Boston for hotels is not as strong as you'd like to believe if this was considered the best proposal - a two bit national chain with no appeal to people under sixty and a crappy loyalty program.

Boston needs 7,500 rooms at Omni prices yesterday.

the INSANE cost to stay here is already costing lost tourist dollars.

we're going to fill every hotel room faster than we build them for a good long time yet.

with hotels extremely unpopular proposals in every neighborhood in Boston, if our inventory ever catches up to the demand, i'll be very surprised.

but we'll take 1,500 keys at your 4.5~5 star level for ballast.

Back