Omni Hotel @ BCEC | Summer St | Seaport

Reaction score
Another reason for moving ahead with the long-planned project: a pending deal for a convention center hotel at D and Summer streets, to be developed by a team that includes Texas-based Omni Hotels & Resorts. Massport is in the final stages of negotiations with that team and wants the garage to be done before the hotel. Integrating the garage with the hotel project remains a major discussion point.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/busines...ing-seaport/oyZzKBdd3Qbhgxt34gC32M/story.html

Re: Convention center hotel

over 1000 rooms planned for this hotel and yes all parking in the 'transportation center' garage that is under construction.

Catherine Carlock said:
The 800,000-square-foot hotel will span two 21-story towers, which will reach 242 feet and 237 feet, respectively. Some 746 rooms will be a standard size — around 386 square feet — while another 278 rooms will be 220-square-foot “innovation” rooms offered at a lower price point.

The project will also include 120,000 square feet of meeting and event space, including three ballrooms; 40,000 square feet of retail space; and an 8,500-square-foot spa.

[...]

The development team anticipates breaking ground next summer and opening in the first quarter of 2021.

Nice. Renders look wicked boring, but I don't really care. 1,054 rooms could singlehandedly put a dent in hotel rates across the city and 40k sf of retail is huge.

Can we fix this thread title? Something like: Omni Hotel @ BCEC | Summer St | Seaport

A bit of a seaport snoozefest, but as mentioned above, bringing 1000 hotel rooms into the mix at the seaport, near the convention centers, will be a great thing.

To me this project implies that the Parker House has been so absolutely crushing it in convention bookings, for so long, that the corporate HQ basically said, "we can cannibalize ourselves at the Parker House and still come out ahead in the aggregate, with new synergies between the Parker House and the new hotel we'll put up in Seaport." Or is that a misreading?

To me this project implies that the Parker House has been so absolutely crushing it in convention bookings, for so long, that the corporate HQ basically said, "we can cannibalize ourselves at the Parker House and still come out ahead in the aggregate, with new synergies between the Parker House and the new hotel we'll put up in Seaport." Or is that a misreading?

I think that's a misreading. The Omni brand has been successful in recent decades at targeting convention space for flagship hotel properties of this magnitude... Providence and Nashville come to mind, for example.

Downtown Boston (I.e. Historic) and the Seaport neighborhoods are distinct enough markets that I don't foresee why they'd be worried about the other hurting business. Westin has Copley and Seaport. Four Seasons is opening their second hotel in a couple years. There is precedent for 2 or more hotels of the same brand in the city.

Note the article says the project is being built without subsidies. So much for the naysayers on this site who say convention-headquarter hotels always need subsidies. Get the government out of the way and let the private market operate.

so no capping the haul road? would be a great place to put a park

2-summer-street-hotel-site-plan.png

summerstview21.jpg

1-massportomnirenderoverall-2.jpg

Would someone, somewhere build an interesting design. These materials, palettes and proportions are so tired in this city at this point. Its like they pull a lever at a parlor game and it mixes and matches the same 5 tired designs in different arrangements

Note the article says the project is being built without subsidies. So much for the naysayers on this site who say convention-headquarter hotels always need subsidies. Get the government out of the way and let the private market operate.

Looks like theyll be using the new garage for parking, so thats a subsidy

Is the rail line severed in that plan, or just an oversight?

My read of the plan is that the rail line is untouched running behind the building. With perhaps a bit of overhang at the corner by WTC Avenue.

I personally like this. Great location, great street level, architecture looks fine for what it is. Its inoffensive and that brickwork/precast could turn out very well. That contrasted against the glass will at least look good, it wont be world breaking, but itll look good.

Too bad they cant work the dmu station into the design/requirement.

Hard to complain about a massive hotel development. It should help brings lots of people into the nightlife fold for that part of the city.

Back