Omni Hotel @ BCEC | Summer St | Seaport

I’ve come to the realization that glass boxes are shields against seeing and understanding the humanity and excitement of what is taking place inside. They are anonymiziing architectural sunglasses.

Socially, I’m a “Bridges, not walls” person.

In this respect , I’m a “Windows, not shields” person.

Last edited:

Attachments

• 71-hc0XGVZL._AC_SX466_.jpg
    71-hc0XGVZL._AC_SX466_.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 160
1600977181308.png

Holy crap, the cheapo "Leggo" hotel at the end of the street in this pic is what the bad neighborhood kids would leave on people's doorsteps before ringing the doorbell and running.........

Last edited:
I find the design to scream pedestrian corporate hotel.

Is that really a problem though? For a convention center hotel?

The BCEC ranked low/average nationally among its peers for volume of hotel rooms within walking distance. The Omni Seaport’s primary focus is to narrow that gap, provide rooms/meeting spaces, and make for a more sustainably operated trade show industry. Given the neighborhood height constraints, relative parcel size, and insane cost of construction/real estate, I’m pretty satisfied with the glossy, voluminous product.

Last edited:

The BCEC ranked low/average nationally among its peers for volume of hotel rooms within walking distance. The Omni Seaport’s primary focus is to narrow that gap, provide rooms/meeting spaces, and make for a more sustainable operated trade show industry. Given the neighborhood height constraints, relative parcel size, and insane cost of construction/real estate, I’m pretty satisfied with the glossy, voluminous product.

I agree. This is the one development I would (grudgingly) give a pass to. It fills a screaming need as expeditiously as possible.

The far worse Leggo hotel - - in my previous post above - - has NO EXCUSE.

Last edited:

The BCEC ranked low/average nationally among its peers for volume of hotel rooms within walking distance. The Omni Seaport’s primary focus is to narrow that gap, provide rooms/meeting spaces, and make for a more sustainably operated trade show industry. Given the neighborhood height constraints, relative parcel size, and insane cost of construction/real estate, I’m pretty satisfied with the glossy, voluminous product.

I would add that this was built without a public subsidy, which is unheard on among convention center hotels.

A handsome development IMO, due to the massing and proportions of the towers. A relief from the blocky towers that are filling the area.

Is there a tunnel under the road from the hotel to the convention center? That's a lot of people crossing during a big convention. Always hate that decision, the one with bad weather. You know, not bringing a heavy coat, umbrellas, etc. Usually it's a sprint without for me.

Is there a tunnel under the road from the hotel to the convention center? That's a lot of people crossing during a big convention. Always hate that decision, the one with bad weather. You know, not bringing a heavy coat, umbrellas, etc. Usually it's a sprint without for me.
Yes, there is a tunnel under Summer Street connecting the new hotel to the convention center.

2LA7SETGQMI6PERUMPPFIMTTPM.jpg

Back