One Davis Sq

Joe_Schmoe

Reaction score
They've demolished One Davis Sq. Does anyone know what is going to replace it?

Brick, with a lot more glass than the old building, but I don't remember much more. The developer passed drawings around at Davis Sq Task Force meetings, but I don't have copies, and I also don't know if they are online.

Hmm, a lot more glass and a Boston Sports Club means we're going to have a constant front row view of people on their stupid stairmasters. It seems most un-Davis-like.

Ron Newman said:
A three-story building with CVS on the first floor, Boston Sports Club gym on the second floor, and offices on the third floor

That would be quite similar to the building in Porter Square with CVS on the first floor and Healthworks on the second.

but, unfortunately, without the ice cream parlor and the funky little art shops on the side.

Not exactly true ...

"A greedy little landlord played his cards right."

From this entry, that doesn't appear to be accurate. He or she lost his or her big tenant, and decided to rent what the market would bear (bare?):

The owner decided to redevelop his building after the state welfare department (aka DTA, Department of Transitional Assistance) decided not to renew its lease.

The building also houses some non-profits such as the Somerville Community Corp. and Somerville Haitian Coalition, which will also probably have to move out before construction starts.

No, it's entirely accurate. Instead of looking for similar tenants, or even mom and pop type of tenants, the landlord went after the big guys, CVS and BSC who are willing to pay top dollar. How much does Davis Square benefit? A tiny, tiny bit.

00001gxz.jpg

Here's the rendering. I have to say I hate it. Looks very dated to me, especially for such a prominent location. This belongs more in Porter not Davis.

I don't love it but I don't hate it either. It looks about the same size and scale as its 1914 neighbor to the right, the Somerville Theatre (Hobbs) building.

Neighborhoods change ...

Neighborhoods change. Davis Square may have been "funky" but "funky" often means run-down or antiquated. Many more people will go in and out of the BSC and CVS than did the old building that stood there.

Unfortunately, everyone wants to stop change. Which ends up hurting us as much or more than letting it happen, in my educated opinion.

I just wish the first floor was devoted to something more worthwhile than a CVS. We don't need a CVS. Davis already has a Brooks Pharmacy, and the Porter Square CVS is a 10-minute walk from here.

Other parts of town could use a CVS. There are no pharmacies anywhere in East Somerville, or in the part of Somerville west of Davis Square.

Davis Square was never really that interesting. Developments like this tend to include a greater diversity of retail as they age (and the chains move on) anyway.

Definitely ...

Yes, most urban squares now seem overpopulated by chain drug stores. It's makes the area look so bland.

Ron Newman said:
I just wish the first floor was devoted to something more worthwhile than a CVS. We don't need a CVS. Davis already has a Brooks Pharmacy, and the Porter Square CVS is a 10-minute walk from here.

Other parts of town could use a CVS. There are no pharmacies anywhere in East Somerville, or in the part of Somerville west of Davis Square.

If the store wasn't profitable, it wouldn't open. There's obviously a market demand in the area.

DudeUrSistersHot said:
If the store wasn't profitable, it wouldn't open. There's obviously a market demand in the area.

I doubt the demand. I've never heard a single person here say "I wish Davis Square had a CVS". On the other hand, I hear many people wish for a Trader Joe's.

Back