One Davis Sq

the Globe said:
Davis Square's night shift has residents losing sleep

By Kristen Green, Globe Correspondent | April 8, 2007

Christina Chan loves being able to wave to Davis Square neighbors as she walks along the street where she has lived for 17 years. In the summer when windows are left open, the neighbors have plenty to discuss -- such as the noisy partiers who awaken them at 1:30 a.m. on weekends when the bars empty out.

Now she worries it could get worse.

News that a local pub, the Burren, has been granted a temporary license to serve alcohol until 2 a.m. makes Chan and her neighbors on Wallace Street, which feeds into Holland, one of the square's main drags, worry how late they'll be awakened this summer and how many other bars will ask for the extension.

"It's like having a party until 2 o'clock in the morning," said Chan, an actress and speaking coach who has an 8-year-old son. "Anything that happens in the square, we hear it."

The Somerville Licensing Commission's decision to grant the 2 a.m. license, despite an outcry from residents, has some concerned that the delicate balance between residents and businesses is shifting, and that the square is becoming more commercialized. The impending arrival of chain stores, including a Chipotle Mexican Grill, fuels worries that the square is increasingly catering to a younger crowd.

"If we become a first destination point for people looking just for the excitement, that will be a problem," said Lee Auspitz, a longtime resident who worries the square is beginning to feel less family-oriented.

Stephen Mackey, president of the Somerville Chamber of Commerce, said Davis Square is a central business district that needs to serve a diverse population. He also stressed that it belongs to the entire community and needs to be nurtured.

He said it's important that bar owners be able to compete with pubs in other neighborhoods, and Davis Square is hardly the first residential area to get a 2 a.m. license. Eight others have been issued in the city.

Residents who complain about the effects on the neighborhood of a bar being open until 2 a.m. need to remember where they are living, Mackey said. "If you're next to a central business district, nobody can have the same expectations as if you live in the country," he said.

Alderwoman Rebekah Gewirtz, whose district includes Davis Square, said residents are concerned the Burren's new hours may attract late-night drinkers from other parts of town, and even beyond. She said representatives of the pub will come before the Davis Square Task Force every eight weeks to discuss issues raised by the later hours, and the owner also agreed not to allow new customers into the Elm Street bar after 1 a.m.

Burren manager Ben Sawyer said the new hours will have "zero impact" on the neighborhood. Because other bars close at 1 a.m., more cabs are available for the Burren's customers and there is less commotion outside at the new closing time. "We don't want to make anybody unhappy," he said.

A newly formed group, Davis Square Area Resident-Business Initiative, is working to address issues that have arisen between businesses and residents. Mouhab Rizkallah, a board member and orthodontist in the square, said there's been "a degree of animosity" between the two sides.

"The residents seem to put on the brakes when it comes to business development, and the businesses seem to be comfortable with overlooking the residents," he said.

He said the new organization will be coming up with ways to help residents cope with the 2 a.m. license, such as putting together a committee that would lobby for antilittering signs and conduct cleanups of the square and nearby streets.

Rizkallah said he understands the bar's need to stay open later, but "it's not going to happen at the expense of the residents."

Jack Connolly, a Davis Square insurance agent and former alderman who is running for an at-large seat on the board, said other bars will soon be lining up for 2 a.m. licenses, and he's concerned that businesses like Dunkin' Donuts, which closes at midnight, and Anna's Taqueria, now open till 11:30, may ask to stay open late r, too.

That, Connolly said, would be "upsetting the very delicate balance between the businesses and the residential district." Until now, nothing was open past 1 a.m.

Many say the success of the square has been its homegrown approach and its diversity.

But over the years a handful of chains have found a niche there, including Au Bon Pain and Starbucks, which both offer outdoor seating.

And Mackey, the chamber president, said he thinks CVS, which is moving into the rebuilt One Davis Square building in the heart of the neighborhood when it's complete this fall, will be an asset because it will increase foot traffic. Boston Sports Clubs will also be a tenant in the building.

Mackey and Rizkallah, the orthodontist, acknowledge that with climbing property values and taxes, which force rents up, sometimes a chain is the best bet to fill an open space.

"There's a reason CVS is moving in. It can afford the space," Rizkallah said. "There's a reason why Chipotle is coming in. They can afford the space."

Still, he said, "I would hate to see it become a bunch of chains. It would then lose all of its charm."

Chan, the Wallace Street resident, said if bars are going to be open until 2 a.m. and other square businesses also focus on the younger demographic, Davis Square will not be a safe environment where parents want to raise their kids.

"It sets a different energy," she said. "You don't want that."

? Copyright 2007 Globe Newspaper Company.

Ok, while i tend to be a bit more sensitive about this type of stuff in a more residential area (as opposed to say, the people who live in the Harbor Towers in Boston who complain about too much activity in fucking downtown), this is a weak argument on the part of the residents.

Bars were there serving until 1:30 anyway. they have been forever. that's nothing new to residents. They moved in there while that was the case, why is 1/2 hour later so much worse. again, if you can't stand the noise, don't live near bars. 1:30 and 2am are not all that different. if you're waking up at 1:30 when the bars get out, what's the difference between that and waking up at 2? did that extra half hour allow someone to fully enter REM sleep and in-turn allow for a much more solid nights sleep making for a better day at work? Is that actress/ coach's career being affected negatively by this (goodbye hollywood)? come on. this is dumb.

If it were 4am instead of 1:30, then i'd be thinking differently. but it's 2 instead of 1:30. one half hour... freaking loosen up.

oh yeah, one guy has a fantastic point. "it'll be too dangerous for parents to want to raise their kids here." So true. talk to any gang member/ murderer- the good people are in bed by 1:30, and the ruffians and gangsters are out until 2. this is clearly going to ruin Davis square.

I'm not against the 2 a.m. extension, but it is a full hour later. The previous closing time was 1 a.m., not 1:30.

My mistake. i guess it's a little worse if it's a full hour. i still say it's not too bad.

Lrfox said:
again, if you can't stand the noise, don't live near bars.

I'm no English major so I really don't have the proper vocabulary to properly express how ignorant and moronic this statement is.

oh yeah, one guy has a fantastic point. "it'll be too dangerous for parents to want to raise their kids here." So true. talk to any gang member/ murderer- the good people are in bed by 1:30, and the ruffians and gangsters are out until 2. this is clearly going to ruin Davis square.

You talk to a lot of murderers/gang members? The guy isn't talking about gangs, he is talking about loud drunks.

As for your argument about a half hour, what about the people who need to get up at 5, 6am? Being woken up in the middle of the night when you have to get up early is a horrible pain. It's not that people will be MORE angry when they get woken up at 2am as opposed to 1:30am, it's that they get woken up in the first place. Later closing times just encourages more people to go out longer.

The extension to 2 am is allowed only on Friday and Saturday nights. The article doesn't make this clear.

First off, let me say i'm sorry for whipping off a quick response that was sort of ignorant. I didn't clarify a lot of my points.

The gang comment was dumb, but it was very sarcastic. My point was that if you have drunks at one and drunks at two there's not too much difference. yeah, it's an hour, and yeah, it sucks for the people who live right there, but they moved in when the bars were open until one on friday/sat. so they have to be used to drunks in the wee hours of the morning. getting up early for work doesn't really play into it because this is a friday and saturday night issue, not during the business week. Yeah, i'm well aware that some people work on weekends, but not everyone is happy and this just feels like another situation where everyone is opposed to change.

I assumed everyone knew that the new extension was not during business days either. but yeah, that statement was moronic, sorry i didn't clarify.

Another thing not clear from the discussion: Wallace Street is residential and is not especially near the bar in question. However, it is the shortest walk between the Tufts University campus and the bar.

If the problem is drunk college students walking back to Tufts, then maybe the solution is to make sure the Tufts shuttle from Davis runs until 2:15. As someone who lives on one of the streets that run between Davis and Tufts, and who has been woken up a few times by loud drunk kids in the wee hours, I say big deal. The world ain't right if college kids can't be drunk and loud every once in a while. And I'd rather have them walk past my house on the way home from the bar than throw a rager a couple houses down the street.

Theres a rumor that a Chipotle is going to be included in this project. Can't wait.

Chipotle will go into the long-vacant Buck-a-Book store a block away, not into One Davis Square.

Any idea when Chipotle is coming? And why don't Poor Little Rich Girl and Mr. Crepe have signs?

its a sad, sad day when we have to talk about a 3 story building... at times im embarrassed to be a part of this city.

and dont even get me started on the bars. they should be open till 2, realistically they should be open till 3 at least. Ima go down to that bar myself, close the place, and proceed to throw my bud bottle through the neighbors window.

As a Davis Square resident, I think the 50-foot/4-story height limit works just fine. There is plenty of room to add floors to existing buildings without exceeding this limit.

Bobby Digital said:
and dont even get me started on the bars. they should be open till 2, realistically they should be open till 3 at least.

Amen!

As a New Yorker (Albany, also went to Univ. Buffalo for two years), I can't stand this place when it comes to anything nightlife- or alcohol-related. Back in my homestate, having a 4 am closing time (not to mention 24-hour beer sales) means you don't even have to think of leaving to go out 'til about midnight or 1 am if you wish. But here, as soon as the clock strikes 12 I've gotta start asking myself all sorts of questions like, "should I be racing out to catch the T right now?" "will anyone split a cab with me" "do I expect to end up in a bed other than my own" etc etc, and to me it's like being back on a high school time schedule -- lame.

You're from Albany? I grew up in Troy.

Yeah, living in New York City has made me appreciate the late last calls and 24 hour subway service so much that I don't know if I could ever live in a place with out it.

Agreed with the time schedule thing in terms of nightlife. my favorite is that the T stops running before last call (in most places). Shouldn't we be doing anything we can to not encourage drunk driving? not to mention stopping drunken locals and college kids who don't want to pay for a cab from stumbling around the streets of the city?

At least we don't live in Maine. My girlfriend lives in Portland, and their last call at the "Old Port" is betweeen 12:30 and 1. not to mention that there are like 6 places to go. They call that nightlife in Maine. I keep thinking of that when i'm out in Boston.

Okay ...

This type of argument never gets resolved.

Four AM closing times in NYC has never made anyone happy, except bar owners and kids from New Jersey.

The poster is talking about Boston in general, but this post thread is about Davis Square, and I challenge anyone to explain why Davis Square bars should have a four AM closing time. It's not large enough a neighborhood to need such a thing.

For Boston, I can't think of any neighborhood where a later closing time would make any sense. It's just not necessary.

Newbury Street and Boylston Street bars border two residential neighborhoods, so you need to weigh the concerns and needs of both populations.

You might be able to argue a later closing time in areas such as Faneuil Hall, which is commercial in nature. (We can just erect a fence around the entire area and not let anyone out until they've sobered up.)

Also, perhaps Brighton.

Agree?

I don't really care about davis square per se, but all of boston should have a 3-4am closing time on the bars. Dont go to the bar if thats too late, DONT live in a city if you don't like noise its a pretty simple idea.

I go to those bars on boylston and newbury all the time, unless you live above it or abut it, its fairly quiet.

And its more than pleasing college kids and bar owners...(even though i see 30 somethings out late night all the time) its an image thing. Boston tries to come off as a world class city when its a sleepy little town in some respects. People don't respect a city that doesnt have certain amenities. I've lived outside NE long enough to hear it.

Re: Okay ...

JimboJones said:
You might be able to argue a later closing time in areas such as Faneuil Hall............Also, perhaps Brighton.

Don't forget about Lansdowne Street -- that's within walking distance to the majority of students in town (BU, NEU, all the smaller art and music schools).

And about bars being sensitive to residents: I live on a block of Boylston St. halfway between Fenway Park and the Pru. Now there's no bars here, but there's still 4 restaurants that stay open until 2. On any given night there's bound to be some drunk group of people making noise into the wee hours, and if it happens to be a night that the Sox win, well then I'll be hearing bikers punching their high-revving engines until 3:30 in the morning -- that's what you get when living in the center of a major cosmopilitan city. Deal with it.

Back