One Greenway (Parcel 24) | 0 Kneeland Street | Chinatown

I believe the one on the corner was condemned. They tried to renovate it, but it was too far gone.

Here is an article on both buildings from a few years back:
http://realestate.boston.com/news/2...ity-land-trust-efforts-thwarted-by-developer/

Yeah, I had seen that and also remember when it sold for basically nothing. I really had thought they were keeping the buildings/rehabbing them, though. Pretty sad given all of the row houses that were destroyed by Tufts/etc, they are getting more and more rare over there.

Do I need to use the app to see the updated Google maps of what? I'm on a kindle. No maps, despite being Android based.

I agree with the sentiment but it's hard to be critical of these types of affordable units. The capital stack required to pull these developments together is extremely complicated and budgets impossibly tight. So while stone trim maybe nice, other residential amenities for the occupants should take preference, microwave, washer/dryer, etc.

I agree but you still have a responsibility to the city outside of your building. This affects other people and the overall quality of the city in general. No need to use grey shed siding Im sure theres something else thats cheap they can use in its place, a precast brick wall would have been better. Whats done is done though and its a small building so whatever.

Lottery sales of workforce units at 88 Hudson according to Boston Homes:
$113,500 for a 716 sf 1 bed and $263,700 for a 1138 sf 2 bed. 9 other units also sold between this high and low. Wow.

Lottery sales of workforce units at 88 Hudson according to Boston Homes:
$113,500 for a 716 sf 1 bed and $263,700 for a 1138 sf 2 bed. 9 other units also sold between this high and low. Wow.

How many applicants were there for these 11 units? It's sad to think you need to win some sort of "lottery" to buy a reasonably priced piece of property in Boston. Most people don't win any type of lottery. How are "affordable housing lotteries" considered any sort of solution when 99% of applicants lose?

How many applicants were there for these 11 units? It's sad to think you need to win some sort of "lottery" to buy a reasonably priced piece of property in Boston. Most people don't win any type of lottery. How are "affordable housing lotteries" considered any sort of solution when 99% of applicants lose?

It's a lottery through an application. You don't have to show up anywhere. They rank each candidate based on certain metrics in addition to income, including current Boston resident, minimum 1 person per bedroom, first time homebuyer, and a few others. It's detailed in the application.

I went through this process three years ago and just missed being selected for a unit by a few positions. There were about 60 applications for 3 units at the building I applied for.

I like how having a place to live near centers of employment has turned into a game of chance.

It's a lottery through an application. You don't have to show up anywhere. They rank each candidate based on certain metrics in addition to income, including current Boston resident, minimum 1 person per bedroom, first time homebuyer, and a few others. It's detailed in the application.

I went through this process three years ago and just missed being selected for a unit by a few positions. There were about 60 applications for 3 units at the building I applied for.

So your odds were 1 in 20, and 57 out of 60 applicants ended up SOL. Again, this does NOTHING to solve the crisis. In fact, I would say it does LESS THAN NOTHING.

So your odds were 1 in 20, and 57 out of 60 applicants ended up SOL. Again, this does NOTHING to solve the crisis. In fact, I would say it does LESS THAN NOTHING.

In engineering, we have a saying: Don't let "perfect" be the enemy of "good."

Just because these housing lotteries aren't a perfect solution the the problem for everyone, doesn't mean they aren't worth doing. The people who have gotten homes wouldn't agree that the program has done "less than nothing." It has transformed their lives.

How would you feel if you were selected to buy one of these homes at these prices?

How would you feel if you were selected to buy one of these homes at these prices?

I would feel like I lucked out. I would also say that if 3 people lucked out, then the only option for the other 57 is to not only pay a cost they can't afford, but to pay even MORE on top of that to subsidize the 3 people who lucked out.

Something that helps maybe 5% of the people who need it, to the *additional detriment* for the other 95% of people *who also need it*, is a net negative if you ask me. Less than nothing. I'm standing by it.

The argument they made it ugly so it wouldnt distract drivers so it saves lives makes 0 sense. What would have been distracting about this over anything else. Is MT not distracting looking up at its roof? If the Zakim bridge not distracting cuz its nice to look at. What about the window into the warrior ice arena. Or the Pru lit up at night. Anything is distracting if some ody looks at it. A helicopter flying over is adistraction for fans of aviation.

Well also assume that people are submitting applications to multiple properties. I applied to 3 buildings within a 6 month span. The whole process takes a long time. What happened to me was that when I finally got a spot on the list to go to the next phase, a few hours of overtime put me over the income limit by $200.... For some reason they "project" income, regardless of your salary. They took my Jan-Mar pay, including overtime, found a weekly rate and multiplied by 52 weeks. They would not accept anything from my employer that stated I would not be receiving overtime to that extent the rest of the year. Anyway, I ended the year $3,500 UNDER the limit. It was frustrating.

When I spoke to the people who ran the lottery at one of the properties, they said about 20-30% of the applicants aren't even eligible to begin with and another 25% have issues similar to my own where the income calcs don't work.

END RANT

Unless they are going to cover that wall with ivy and street art that ain't a park.

OMG, those pictures......

Not your fault, Beeline, you do a great service, but this development just made me throw up in my mouth.

OMG, those pictures......

Not your fault, Beeline, you do a great service, but this development just made me throw up in my mouth.

Agreed: this is horrid. Perhaps the interior is more welcoming.

Back