One Kenmore Square | 560 Commonwealth Avenue | Kenmore Square

Re: Crossroads at Kenmore | 560 Commonwealth Ave | Kenmore Square

1mHdJ0Mh.jpg

Wow indeed.

What the HELL is that??

Does it actually get fatter as it goes up?

I don't understand why we should expect this traffic pattern to succeed where Sullivan Square fails. It's basically the same design, right? And in Sullivan Square there are far fewer pedestrians to contend with.

It's not dissimilar to the traffic pattern around Westin Copley, and that seems to work just fine (and equally busy with pedestrians).

I read through the IAG Presentation slides... LOVE that they literally have screen shots of Jane Jacobs' Death and Life of Great American Cities to illustrate their thinking. The public realm improvements here alone are worth the approval.

What the HELL is that??

That's architecture. If we want to call out a movement to assign it to stylistically, I'd suggest Neo-Metabolist.

A sin none of the larger scale projects elsewhere in town aren't even half as imaginative.

1mHdJ0Mh.jpg

DIEVkL1h.jpg

This vertical slat-like facade will only be a block away from the BU building with its own (diagonal,vertical,etc) slat face.

Both will be roughly 300' so it could be quite the view corridor.

There are a few more views that still need to be posted, mainly at the very end of the pdf. I'd love to see something this daring go 600'+ in the lot across from the Congress Street garage.

From the initials renders I think the tower is fabulous.

Plus the air rights tower

Kenmore-View.jpg

fenway2.jpg

Gonna be a badass cluster

^^ahh, the top image is loosely depicting the Fenway Ctr main tower
out the back? Will the proposed + approved (from the Pru to Kenmore Sq) someday combine to form a lush downslope of Back Bay? Will the 'dark, dingy & dangerous-at-times' former image of the Fenway be gone forever? What will happen to rents?....

and yes it does get 'fatter' as it goes up

The shadow police are already complaining.....

'

Who amongst us hasn't basked in the sunshine as we stood in the middle of the pike! Okay, the cars whizzing by and honking their horns might not add to the ambiance, but all that is going to be gone once the shadows from this project spill across the highway!

Some serious unique architecture here. This ain't Boston---

I'm not sure if I like this or not--Its definitely unique.

Who amongst us hasn't basked in the sunshine as we stood in the middle of the pike! Okay, the cars whizzing by and honking their horns might not add to the ambiance, but all that is going to be gone once the shadows from this project spill across the highway!

Yeah, a parody, I know, but the Pike is south of this parcel.

I adore Gang Studios' work and I'm very excited to see this tower rise. If it gets built, it will immediately be one of our highest-caliber modern high rises. I can see it getting simplified a bit through the community/VE process but I want it built yesterday. It's a statement piece in the best way.

Sorry to gush, but if there's one high-powered architect I've ever wanted to see in Boston, Gang is it.

Need more renders but the head on one is gaudy and tasteless. Do. Not. Want.

It could even make up for the disastrous loss of West Gate, and the office park abomination replacement. (Edit - well, attenuate it)

Regardless of what ends up happening, it's nice to see the western part of Kenmore filling in. It will close off the square nicely, and make it feel more like a... square.

Very impressed with the tower.

As far as intersection goes - I understand it's a car centered society, but in the city changes to streetscape need to be primarily evaluated from pedestrian's pov and I think it's a considerable improvement.

The tower is awesome.

I do not like this tower at all. Something this slender needs to celebrate being slender, not get fatter at the top. The massing of this leaves me so uneasy due to how poor it is.

I'm hoping it is this "bold" so when they are rightfully told to tone it down, they can VE it and still have it look like a nice slender tower with a facade that has depth.

I really appreciate the design, but about every other time I look at the head-on view, I have to agree with Data. They shouldn't have gone wider at the top. Isn't that a design principle you learn 1st year? Should've gone the opposite to maintain the slim figure. You could possibly still get the same depth effect.

Still happy to have Gang Studios here.

Back