One Kenmore Square | 560 Commonwealth Avenue | Kenmore Square

Youre making zero sense here.

What does any of this have to do with the One Kenmore Square proposal and the traffic issues it would cause?

Are you suggesting they will delay this project until self driving cars are everywhere?

??????

I clearly wrote self-driving cars will not be everywhere. And that it's ok. But it as close to an inevitability in the future (but not "tomorrow"). And in urban centers, not suburbs/rural. Think Route 128 (or a closer in loop) being ringed with drop off depots in the future - - something akin to that.

But for today and this particular building, once again, there are 3 train stations and one Amtrak station within an easy walk of Kenmore Square.

This tall building would be a traffic concern if it were on Needham Street in Newton. I really don't see it as such in Kenmore Square.

??????

I clearly wrote self-driving cars will not be everywhere. And that it's ok.

In the meantime, once again, there are 3 train stations surrounding this Square and one Amtrak within an easy walk.

This tall building would be a traffic concern if it were on Needham Street in Newton. I don't see it as such in Kenmore Square.

We are not talking about traffic generated by the building. We are talking about the roadway redesign.

M6Lfgbd.png

We are not talking about traffic generated by the building. We are talking about the roadway redesign.

M6Lfgbd.png

Fair point. I am no road design expert, so I completely defer on the sidestreet question. I was talking about the building.

That is a scary diagram with several bad accidents happening all at once. Most of those drivers on the side street are having a very weird difficulty staying in their lanes.

Perhaps they should hold off on the sidestreet part until Boston is pod-only. I'm fine if this project is two-staged: building, then road when doable.

I respect others' goals and viewpoints, but for me at least, the target goal of Kenmore Square isn't to become an efficient freeway. But nobody is served if there is gridlock - - so building first and then open up the side street when Boston goes pod seems reasonable.

And, yes, urban center pods will be happening by 2030. It is an inevitability.

Last edited:
Consider me firmly among the skeptics of this entire technology.

+1

FWIW, my wholly nonscientific response is that individuals follow ideas, but groups follow trends. The concept of autonomous vehicles is certainly part of the zeitgeist.

After test driving a handful of models from three manufacturers, I purchased a (new to me) vehicle last week. My experience with all three manufacturers is that they're actively promoting "safety technologies" like lane departure warning, intelligent parking, blind spot monitoring, and collision avoidance, right alongside an enhanced suite of entertainment options to accommodate every imaginable handheld device.

I love gadgets as much as the next person, but I feel that as this scales up, we're willfully choosing to inbreed incompetence and carelessness into current and future "drivers." The first car I drove came off the line in Hapeville, GA during the waning days of the Carter Administration. My old man (a retired trooper) made sure long before I was legally able to drive that I understood that alertness, visual acuity, and responsiveness to all external conditions were crucial. Remove any one, and the risk goes up ten-fold.

Knowing how to actually drive a car from both a technical and social perspective is an important life-skill. It's one way to learn personal responsibility beyond the brim of your ballcap.

Apologies for further derailing this thread.

+1

FWIW, my wholly nonscientific response is that individuals follow ideas, but groups follow trends. The concept of autonomous vehicles is certainly part of the zeitgeist.

After test driving a handful of models from three manufacturers, I purchased a (new to me) vehicle last week. My experience with all three manufacturers is that they're actively promoting "safety technologies" like lane departure warning, intelligent parking, blind spot monitoring, and collision avoidance, right alongside an enhanced suite of entertainment options to accommodate every imaginable handheld device.

I love gadgets as much as the next person, but I feel that as this scales up, we're willfully choosing to inbreed incompetence and carelessness into current and future "drivers." The first car I drove came off the line in Hapeville, GA during the waning days of the Carter Administration. My old man (a retired trooper) made sure long before I was legally able to drive that I understood that alertness, visual acuity, and responsiveness to all external conditions were crucial. Remove any one, and the risk goes up ten-fold.

Knowing how to actually drive a car from both a technical and social perspective is an important life-skill. It's one way to learn personal responsibility beyond the brim of your ballcap.

Apologies for further derailing this thread.

I agree.

But once again: Urban. Centers. Only.

Escalators in busy department stores didn't eradicate the human ability to climb staircases.

Driverless cars/pods make sense in urban centers for the very same reason that congestion pricing is right now being talked about and installed around the world.

But once again: Urban. Centers. Only.

You keep saying this, but all evidence points to urban centers being the last place self-driving cars will be viable, not the first place.

You keep saying this, but all evidence points to urban centers being the last place self-driving cars will be viable, not the first place.

How so? I get your point if the concern is for pedestrians/bicyclists against a 1.5 ton combustible engine mid-size car or more. But if it is a light electric pod, the danger would be far less and low speed limits are adhered to in a close-range area of an urban center........

Suburbanites/rural residents won't adapt to it for the very reasons Beton Brut delineated so well. But core urbanites will. And enthusiastically (think monthly parking expenses).

I just don't think the core urban center streets of 2030 are going to look like those of 2019. Just my opinion, I could be completely wrong.

Escalators in busy department stores didn't eradicate the human ability to climb staircases.

I'm interested in your analogy. Have you ever noticed that many people choose to stand on the escalator rather than walking up it? Can we categorize this "temporary forgetting" as laziness?

The limiting factor with fully autonomous vehicles is technological, not social. The relevant question isn't "who wants to use a self-driving car," it is "where will self-driving cars be able to drive."

It's way harder for to navigate complicated, crowded city streets than suburban or rural roads or highways. And cities with pre-Automobile street layouts (Boston foremost among them) are the hardest to navigate. This is true for human drivers, but it is particularly true for self-driving cars. Computers are great at tasks that follow procedure but not nearly as good as people at perceiving and handling the unexpected and uncharted.

Across every industry ever, the first tasks to be automated are the simple, repetitive, monotonous ones and the last are the complicated ones that cannot be scripted.

The first roads to get self-driving cars will be highways; the technology is practically already there for that. Think long-haul trucking and fleet vehicles. Next will be rural/suburban deliveries (again, think cargo/fleet vehicles). The very last will be complicated cityscapes, where roads are unpredictable and hectic.

I'm interested in your analogy. Have you ever noticed that many people choose to stand on the escalator rather than walking up it? Can we categorize this "temporary forgetting" laziness?

Sure - - on the ESCALATOR.

I haven't seen someone mentally forget how to walk up a staircase (sadly, unless if they have Alzheimers - which I have personally witnessed.).

The limiting factor with fully autonomous vehicles is technological, not social. The relevant question isn't "who wants to use a self-driving car," it is "where will self-driving cars be able to drive."

It's way harder for to navigate complicated, crowded city streets than suburban or rural roads or highways. And cities with pre-Automobile street layouts (Boston foremost among them) are the hardest to navigate. This is true for human drivers, but it is particularly true for self-driving cars. Computers are great at tasks that follow procedure but not nearly as good as people at perceiving and handling the unexpected and uncharted.

Across every industry ever, the first tasks to be automated are the simple, repetitive, monotonous ones and the last are the complicated ones that cannot be scripted.

The first roads to get self-driving cars will be highways; the technology is practically already there for that. Think long-haul trucking and fleet vehicles. Next will be rural/suburban deliveries (again, think cargo/fleet vehicles). The very last will be complicated cityscapes, where roads are unpredictable and hectic.

I fully agree with you on all of that. But you mention delivery/business vehicles. The suburbanites and rural residents will never give up their driving freedom. Never. And rightfully so.

Core urban residents will, and gladly.

I also agree with you that the low-hanging fruit is the rural and then suburban delivery vehicle/truck which will happen before the core urban passenger and delivery vehicles - - but it will happen, just later.

It will be fun to watch the next decade unfold. I could be way off on all of this, but it sure looks to me that it is increasingly more likely.

In the meantime, sorry for the side convo. In sum, I love the building and, given Jass' well argued point, would support delaying the new sidestreet until vehicular transportation technology changes.

M6Lfgbd.png

I'm not sure I see how this is different from the status quo on any other street in Boston. We get increased pedestrian and bicycle safety in exchange for a modest change (I'm not even convinced it is an increase) to the usual automotive SNAFU.

I'm not sure I see how this is different from the status quo on any other street in Boston. We get increased pedestrian and bicycle safety in exchange for a modest change (I'm not even convinced it is an increase) to the usual automotive SNAFU.

How is pedestrian safety improved? A pedestrian on the south side of comm ave going east or west has an added crosswalk in this proposal. which means more delay and more traffic exposure.

How is pedestrian safety improved? A pedestrian on the south side of comm ave going east or west has an added crosswalk in this proposal. which means more delay and more traffic exposure.

You pick the strangest axes to grind, but I'll play along.

Reduction in crosswalk distances improves ped safety.

Breaking up large contiguous stretches of asphalt where autos speed and swerve increases ped safety.

Fine-grained roadway features like shorter straightaways and shorter distance between intersections and traffic control elements slow cars down, increasing ped safety.

I fully agree with you on all of that. But you mention delivery/business vehicles. The suburbanites and rural residents will never give up their driving freedom. Never. And rightfully so.

Core urban residents will, and gladly.

I also agree with you that the low-hanging fruit is the rural and then suburban delivery vehicle/truck which will happen before the core urban passenger and delivery vehicles - - but it will happen, just later.

It will be fun to watch the next decade unfold. I could be way off on all of this, but it sure looks to me that it is increasingly more likely.

In the meantime, sorry for the side convo. In sum, I love the building and, given Jass' well argued point, would support delaying the new sidestreet until vehicular transportation technology changes.

Sorry, but I am not seeing the logic between the leaps you're making.

It has already been laid out that urban centers are not welcoming environments for autonomy. This has little bearing on the attitudes of their inhabitants. Density + pods = bad.

Also, respectfully, I reject your analysis of who the people are who'd want these. I'd guess that adoption of these, in order of the three groups you've laid out, would be:

1. Suburbanites, the champions of car culture. Already get around this way, and we spend all our time here trying to figure out how to coax them out of the cars they already have and love.

2. Rural and exurban populations. I think you're conflating (for good reason) the average rural American with the "rugged individualist" American, because frequently the two go hand in hand in our national mythology. But I submit that the former Joe Farmer cares about their family finances, convenience and utility just like the rest of us. The challenge to adoption of autonomy here is obviously a) the distances they have to travel vs the current and even projected range of electrics (I am assuming these will be mostly electric) and b) the economics, given that living away from cities means earning less.

The person you're thinking of, John Wayne/James Dean/Thelma and Louise, is the archetypal American who loves their car because of what it represents and will never give it up. My sense is that this kind of person is not exclusively rural and doesn't exist in significant enough numbers to sway this discussion (assuming the technology proves itself to be safe, etc.) People really don't have the money to do inefficient things just because they love them when the hobby is as expensive as maintaining a vehicle. How many people keep horses?

3. People in urban centers. These are already the people least likely to drive anywhere and the people most empowered not to do so.

So Suburbs: high interest, easy adoption
Cities: low-to-medium interest, lowest adoption

As ever, it'll be people commuting in from the suburbs who fill up the streets since the train will probably still be faster and definitely cheaper.

Also none of the above really matters because every single tech company is either making an autonomy play or waiting for the breakthrough so they can buy the biggest fleet and corner the market. None of us are going to even get a chance to buy pods for personal use, I bet.

I look forward to having this same conversation in a decade, but hopefully by then I'll have figured out how to short this whole thing and maybe made a dent in my student loans.

Sorry, but I am not seeing the logic between the leaps you're making.

It has already been laid out that urban centers are not welcoming environments for autonomy. This has little bearing on the attitudes of their inhabitants. Density + pods = bad.

Also, respectfully, I reject your analysis of who the people are who'd want these. I'd guess that adoption of these, in order of the three groups you've laid out, would be:

1. Suburbanites, the champions of car culture. Already get around this way, and we spend all our time here trying to figure out how to coax them out of the cars they already have and love.

2. Rural and exurban populations. I think you're conflating (for good reason) the average rural American with the "rugged individualist" American, because frequently the two go hand in hand in our national mythology. But I submit that the former Joe Farmer cares about their family finances, convenience and utility just like the rest of us. The challenge to adoption of autonomy here is obviously a) the distances they have to travel vs the current and even projected range of electrics (I am assuming these will be mostly electric) and b) the economics, given that living away from cities means earning less.

The person you're thinking of, John Wayne/James Dean/Thelma and Louise, is the archetypal American who loves their car because of what it represents and will never give it up. My sense is that this kind of person is not exclusively rural and doesn't exist in significant enough numbers to sway this discussion (assuming the technology proves itself to be safe, etc.) People really don't have the money to do inefficient things just because they love them when the hobby is as expensive as maintaining a vehicle. How many people keep horses?

3. People in urban centers. These are already the people least likely to drive anywhere and the people most empowered not to do so.

So Suburbs: high interest, easy adoption
Cities: low-to-medium interest, lowest adoption

As ever, it'll be people commuting in from the suburbs who fill up the streets since the train will probably still be faster and definitely cheaper.

Also none of the above really matters because every single tech company is either making an autonomy play or waiting for the breakthrough so they can buy the biggest fleet and corner the market. None of us are going to even get a chance to buy pods for personal use, I bet.

I look forward to having this same conversation in a decade, but hopefully by then I'll have figured out how to short this whole thing and maybe made a dent in my student loans.

Whoa!!! Why on earth would any urbanite want to buy a pod????? In the urban space crunch of the future, that would be like being responsible for a parade float.

No. Subscription on your cellphone. They'll come when you call them. No one in an urban center will actually buy a pod. Personal garaging isn't going to happen. The depots will be on the outskirts. You pay by the mile. It's all about real estate efficiency.

Once again, it's at least a decade off, but the puck is moving. Gretzky, not Wensink.

Last edited:
Good one indeed. His favorite basketball players of all time are no doubt Manute Bol and Gheorghe Muresan.

Back