One Post Office Square Makeover and Expansion | Financial District

This building is from an era where "the corner office" was still a thing and corporate offices were labyrinths of tight hallways and drab rooms. The awkward zig-zagging massing and cantilevers are an attempt to give more people a "corner office." Modern open-office design does away with the whole walls thing and much of the corporate hierarchy of corporate architecture's past. There is no longer a need for the zigzags and they are rightly being proposed to get filled in in favor of larger floorplates.

Worth noting,Putnam Investments is moving out of this building (and across the park to 100 Federal). I wonder if this redevelopment was in the works before Putnam decided to not resign it's lease.

This glass/design reminds me of a mash up between 888 Boylston, office proposal at the Hub on Causeway (not surprising because it's also designed by Gensler) - obviously different scales.

This re-skinned/redeveloped tower would be the tallest out of the bunch.

picture.php

The-Hub-on-Causeway-Mixed-Use-Development-Bulfinch-Triangle-Boston-TD-Garden-North-Station-Boston-Properties-Delaware-North-John-Moriarty-and-Associates-Construction.jpg

Prudential-Center.jpg

Reminds me of the BCBS building in Chicago. Maybe if they can rebuild it so that it allows the owners the option to stack a few stories in the future if needed (like they did with the BCBS building) seeing how after this, they can't really widen the building for more space.

(unlurks)
For the forum super oldies out there, I have always thought about a comment ablarc made back in 2004 (!!) every time I look at this building:

(ancient link )

It's curious that that memory would have stuck with me for so long -- I'm certainly not sorry to see it recladded, even if this proposal may not be the greatest....
(relurks)

I REMEMBER THIS QUOTE! And oh my goodness, a cyburbia link! Suddenly it's 2005 again and I'm a dipshit 20-something completely enamored with ablarc's every word, photo and post. Ahhhhhhhh :)

I have always hated the cladding on this building. The glass is a mild improvement.

Ehh I don't love the existing building but glass boxes are so boring. At least it has character now.

Reminds me of the BCBS building in Chicago. Maybe if they can rebuild it so that it allows the owners the option to stack a few stories in the future if needed (like they did with the BCBS building) seeing how after this, they can't really widen the building for more space.

At 796' the BCBS tower is the 14th tallest in Chicago. Sadly, if built here, it would be the tallest.

I wonder if we'll see more of these facade treatments in the future. If this turns out to be an economic success I can think of a number of towers around town that could scrap the existing facade.

Though existing building may not win a lot of love, it was a design attempt (arguable, perhaps) in its day, and now a recognizable part of the block, marking a moment in time (such as it is) for us. Doesn't that have some value? In modern Boston? Are we really this lackluster? Throw up some glass?

Ablarc's wise counsel notwithstanding, if we must make changes - can't those changes be worthwhile? A real (unarguable) improvement? This is not that, not to my mind. This is re-cladding to serve rental needs, and little else. Pretty uninspiring. Worse. Boring.

I can't imagine anyone at Gensler is proud of this.

Really going to enjoy all the comments in a few years remarking how this tower/reclad job is a gorgeous addition to Post Office Square along with all sorts of photos of the glass and reflections, angles, etc. This is peak archBoston.

The original tower has no architectural merit. People only latch onto it because it's "different." There are no guiding architectural principles. There are no specific reasons or references for the cantilevers. It's just there.

That's what ablarc is rightly getting at.

Really going to enjoy all the comments in a few years remarking how this tower/reclad job is a gorgeous addition to Post Office Square along with all sorts of photos of the glass and reflections, angles, etc. This is peak archBoston.

The original tower has no architectural merit. People only latch onto it because it's "different." There are no guiding architectural principles. There are no specific reasons or references for the cantilevers. It's just there.

That's what ablarc is rightly getting at.

This is going to look amazing when done and is a MASSIVE upgrade over what the building currently looks like. The building has not held up well at all - this is something that come 2047 will still look good.

Re: What's Happening With Project X?

i like this angle better but it could still use a lot of improvement (what is it about step-backs, rounded tops, pinnacle/pointy crowns that developers and designers in boston hate so much?)

So, we are going from old and uninspired to new and uninspired.

With perhaps a slight downgrade in energy efficiency (masonry vs glass cladding)?

Yay?

Per WCVB: "The top floor will include a unique glass expression which has come to be known as ‘The Lantern,’ for its glowing visibility of the skyline,"

Sounds like a lit crown to me!

The building that really needs a makeover is 225 Franklin Street (old State Street tower). Bleaaaach.

225 Franklin is one of my favorite buildings in town. I have no idea how it works inside but I sometimes go out of my way to walk to lunch in POSq so I can see/sketch it. Might just be me.

Back