One Post Office Square Makeover and Expansion | Financial District

2D723FD5-9365-4734-9D36-8FD074C3ED0F.jpeg
5D7A7F3F-07DA-4335-9812-5A1ACD0DA291.jpeg

Interesting that it appears to have leased space in the section remaining to be reclad.

Glass supply, obviously an issue, has caused almost all current glass-dominant towers to screech to hit the 93 South of Construction Traffic.

It certainly happened at State Street, Raffles, St Regis isn't cruising, Winthrop maybe more than others but I wouldn't vote it fasted to glass either.

Standard windows were 14 weeks out a few weeks ago, can't imagine curtain wall glass...

Potential dumb question here.... When they affix the new curtain wall to the part of the building where the old one is staying, do they then remove the interior walls, or a portion of them, thereafter?

This is going to be like painting the Golden Gate bridge, where they'll finish this recladding and then immediately need to reclad it again, creating an infinite loop of recladding.

Interestingly enough, I currently am on project for re-development of ”Penn District” in NYC, for Vornado. We’re are currently redeveloping Penn1 into a ’boutique office’ concept. Vornado is re-developing the neighborhood, due to the absorption taken from Hudson Yards. I will say, they have a solid grasp on the future of offices and they are coming back.

There is the leverage of socialization, especially with the 25-40 demo. People are at home everyday and seeing their co workers now out together and it’s causing a shift in WFH perception, and it’s corresponding sustainability. Penn 1, we have built a gym by Exos, social workspace like WeWork by Industrious, a grab n go cafe and an internal restaurant. These are built as amenities, such like Ian Schrager did with the Boutique Hotel concept. Keep the people in the building and drive notoriety from the outside.

ANYWAY, on topic for this thread; Penn 2 is being undergoing a complete re-facadification and internal renovation, and I spoke directly with Vornado’s SVP of Construction about the ROI and alternate route of demolition and re-build. He said it was actually a far more contentious and debated call than one might think. ROI were similar, completion times were similar, it was solely that the demolition was over Penn Station that caused slightly more headache. He noted there is a reason these types of projects are fairly rare. They are doing it because it’s a part of the bigger picture for the ‘district’. They are completely demo-ing the Pennsylvania Hotel across the street and building 1600.’ It just made me think of what the real benefit was for them at One PO, especially looking back at the timing. I would have to imagine, a renovation internally and in the lobby would have been 1/4 of the time, they would keep tenants and the value of the project would be not much different.

Last edited:

Back