One Post Office Square Makeover and Expansion | Financial District

DZH -- another bunch of nice images
As the One POSq turns from concrete to glass -- we are going to have some great low sun-angle reflections to make into iconic images

FD242012-5135-4A61-A0AD-31AA38E7E400.jpeg
387782C1-0945-42A2-8261-E34F6945EE3E.jpeg
F1CF3B05-0A49-499E-A084-E9193F011918.jpeg
B25A62B1-5135-49C5-A013-9202942F0D39.jpeg

the splashes of red (wish there were more) will have a huge impact.

Those cherry red elements are going to pop. This is going to have a bigger aesthetic impact than I think many of us realize.

Hopefully the red is enough to offset the loss of the cantilevers. They really stood out, particularly in silhouette. It's also a pretty fascinating form when you look straight up it from Post Office Square. That shape may never be replicated again in a building, anywhere.

Street view.

Above in google earth 3d. This link in particular really helps show the true shape of this building. Hold "control" and you can use your mouse to spin the view around and see just how weird this building really is/was.

Wow the banality of Boston's buildings has really gotten to some people here. There's barely any red on this thing, are we sure it's even going to be noticeable from Eastie?

Wow the banality of Boston's buildings has really gotten to some people here. There's barely any red on this thing, are we sure it's even going to be noticeable from Eastie?
I've totally missed anything red on this makeover. In any case, I think it's the restructuring of the massing that most disturbs me. I liked the oddities this building brought, though I wish the windows had been larger and the surface color less banal and more in keeping with the Post Office building across the square. I also liked the original polychromed lobby. It was pleasant to view from the sidewalk and offered some depth. But then someone bought stock in white marble and swathed nearly every Boston office building's lobby in it. Anyway, I'll pass judgment until I see it in person in one of my returns to Boston. The key for me will be street level, whether there's something interesting to visit other than other upscale fast food/coffee shop.

To me, it makes the building look a lot shorter. Talk about truly terrible proportions. They should have at least changed the top to like, a triangular crown or something. It would kind of play off 2 International Place. Instead, they took away the 1 good thing about the tower (cantilevers) so it's really hard to get excited about this.

To me, it makes the building look a lot shorter. Talk about truly terrible proportions. They should have at least changed the top to like, a triangular crown or something. It would kind of play off 2 International Place. Instead, they took away the 1 good thing about the tower (cantilevers) so it's really hard to get excited about this.

Totally agree. I hope the end result is far better than that previous rendering.

Just looks clunky to me. Way too much going on with it. And the plain box on top is boring and lazy. I'm all for a little more glass in that part of the skyline, but this just doesn't work.

This desperately needs a statement topper.
Jeff -- This building is now all about the interface with the Langham Hotel at the street and few floors up level

Huge improvement in the building overall by getting rid of the ugly brutish and brutalist exterior panels and the truly ugly parking garage. I always felt that placing the brutalism next to the graceful elegance of the old Federal Reserve was like making a beautiful model walk about in one of those turn of the 19th-20th C Swimming Costumes.

Back