One Post Office Square Makeover and Expansion | Financial District

A lot has gone totally fking bonkers wrong in the world in the last five years, so good for them finally reaching the finish line.

We should be lucky we weren't left with some hollowed out rusting mess in the center of downtown.
I would say the last 3 years have been unprecedented, so fair play to the developer for completing this, so much better than what Hines did with the hole in the ground at Filenes for example.

I would say the last 3 years have been unprecedented, so fair play to the developer for completing this, so much better than what Hines did with the hole in the ground at Filenes for example.
It wasn’t Hines. It was Vornado which held the controlling interest in the Filene’s project after making a deal with Gale (now BGI), John Hynes’ company.

IMG_5287.JPG
IMG_5286.JPG

What is that a spotlight they shine at the corner? Thats not white LED lights in the facade is it. Either way looks pretty cool.

What is that a spotlight they shine at the corner? Thats not white LED lights in the facade is it. Either way looks pretty cool.
It looks like the floodlight from the Langham Hotel is lighting right to the top of this building. I agree, looks cool!

It seemed a bit odd while in process, but the "papering over" of the old skin actually provides additional interest when the sun shines directly on that face which I'm assuming fades away to a uniform glossy, mirror-like appearance as the sun moves off that facet; pretty cool.

Last edited:
I was a bit leery about this makeover when I first saw the rendering. My reaction was that downtown was getting another glass tower, ho hum. But, admittedly, I am impressed with the result. It's an improvement though I still resist the notion of more glass towers. As an example, the Seaport district, is an architectural wasteland with just a couple of exceptions.

I don't mind the horizontal and vertical red striping but am not a huge fan of the diagonal red stripe.

The *only* interesting thing about this reclad is the red bracing.

I feel the same. I like the glass better than the concrete panels that were there previously, but the red bracing is the best part for me. I wish they would have used the red a little bit more in a few spots. I'm a big fan of London Architecture and Richard Rogers, and One Post Office Square reminds me a little of some London towers designed by his firm.

1678762358728.png

I feel the same. I like the glass better than the concrete panels that were there previously, but the red bracing is the best part for me. I wish they would have used the red a little bit more in a few spots. I'm a big fan of London Architecture and Richard Rogers, and One Post Office Square reminds me a little of some London towers designed by his firm.

View attachment 35252

It's definitely a tepid take on London and Frankfurt. Wish Boston would go bold more often.

Back