Our Lady of Good Voyage | Seaport Sq Parcel H | 55 - 57 Seaport Blvd | Seaport

brucepf

Reaction score
Construction to start this month on Our Lady of Good Voyage church. If I'm thinking of the right location that dark grey building isn't presently built its just part of the current parking lot. Am I correct?

http://http://www.bostonherald.com/business/real_estate/2014/11/new_chapel_set_to_rise_up_in_seaport

110714goodvoyage.jpg

Re: Innovation Dist. / South Boston Seaport

We can't even built churches that look good anymore...

The Nintendo64 strikes again....

Also, what in the world is going on with the gables extending well beyond the actual roofline? And is that a skylight in the top left?

...don't know where to start with his one...someone actually looked at this and said "yes, that's it, that's exactly what we should build!" ?????

^Right? It just reeks of precast brick panels that will be done poorly...

At least they're finally building some sort of "community" amenity to make this a real neighborhood. Next stop, supermarket and elementary school, right?

The Archdiocese is almost financially bankrupt so a functional building, easy and cheap to maintain is just what is called for. If it were more architecturally interesting (and believe me I would like that too) I wonder how many people would complain that the church is wasting money? A nice fat check or two from deep-pocketed business people might be just the thing...any takers?

Why do we need any more churches in this city? Are the existing ones overflowing with huge congregations? Does the Seaport have every other necessary amenity that we can build frivolous shit like this?

Why do we need any more churches in this city? Are the existing ones overflowing with huge congregations? Does the Seaport have every other necessary amenity that we can build frivolous shit like this?

I agree completely if we need amenities why not build something actually useful like a new school (this neighborhood will have thousands of new residents with no nearby schools).

I agree completely if we need amenities why not build something actually useful like a new school (this neighborhood will have thousands of new residents with no nearby schools).

Just a reminder that this is not a new church, this is a replacement building, due to a land swap.

Our Lady of Good Voyages has been in the Seaport District for a lot longer than the Seaport District has had that name! (60 years). It is not some new amenity.

This is replacing an already-existing church, allowing development on that site.

Construction to start this month on Our Lady of Good Voyage church. If I'm thinking of the right location that dark grey building isn't presently built its just part of the current parking lot. Am I correct?

Correct. Both church and that small office building are part of parcel H development - Sleeper to Farnsworth. The lot after that (parcel J) is supposed to be Yotel.

The current church isn't exactly a looker either.

by JohnyHamster on Flickr.com

Just a reminder that this is not a new church, this is a replacement building, due to a land swap.

Our Lady of Good Voyages has been in the Seaport District for a lot longer than the Seaport District has had that name! (60 years). It is not some new amenity.

My point still stands. There are better uses.

What kind of tax breaks is this church getting? ;)

Back