Outdoor Sports Viewing

stick n move

Superstar
Reaction score
Im not sure if seaport square or the boston garden development plans on doing this but I know some other cities have outdoor areas to watch sports games and were so big on sports we need something like this too it would be a huge hit. A place with a courtyard with some benches, big tv's in a few areas, some restaurants with tables outside to sit at and watch from. There needs to be an area designated to watching the games that are on where people can gather and watch. This is Boston we love sports theres no reason not to have this.

Well, it's not like those cities built public spaces specifically for outdoor sports viewing, they just turn existing public spaces into sports viewing sites for special occasions. Boston already has plenty of great options to do the same: City Hall Plaza, Copley, the Common, the Esplanade some of the Greenway parcels...

The answer isn't build public spaces with outdoor sports viewing in mind, the answer is just build good public spaces. Philly did this with Northern Liberties, which, for my money, is easily better than any development in the Boston in the past 20 years:

Piazza-at-Schmidts.jpg

2nd-street-festival-no-libs-2011-600.jpg

No%20Libs%207.jpg

concert.jpg

Wonderful post, Bronson. Thanks for sharing such great public space examples!

I think Boston already plans to do this with the Red Sox

University Park Common, near Central Square in Cambridge, will be an outdoor viewing area for the last four World Cup games, starting this afternoon.

If they're doing it for these matches, I wonder why they didn't for the US ones.

I'm pretty sure they did, same location, for Belgium and Portugal.

I went to USA-Belgium on City Hall Plaza. We weren't packed in like sardines, but it was very lively and a lot of fun. I think the success with the World Cup will lead to many more public sports watching events.

I think logistics and licensing (from the cable company) took a little longer than expected in Cambridge. Boston City Hall Plaza had the US-Belgium and US-Germany games.

Back