Parcel JK | Cambridge Crossing | Cambridge

So why not rezone the rest of it now and revise (upwards) the remaining residentials? There are plenty of parcels remaining and the demand to go bigger, especially with the ongoing housing crunch.

I agree wholeheartedly.
Unfortunately that process is not as easy as any of us would wish.
We all have the ability to look at things with perfect hindsight.
This is why I take offense (only mild) when people complain and say Ink Block should have been bigger, taller, etc.
Folks love to forget how big of a risk that development was at the time. It led to everything around it going bigger, but it gets unfairly beat up when people put their historical blinders on.

I wouldn't stop with just the residential.
I've argued on taller labs, but will leave that for now.
The office crunch in Cambridge is pretty bad as well. There's no reason to keep office buildings as squat (or squatter, H is office and G is lab, yet G is taller) as zoning allows.

So why not rezone the rest of it now and revise (upwards) the remaining residentials? There are plenty of parcels remaining and the demand to go bigger, especially with the ongoing housing crunch.

I mentioned this on the last page, but if there is any change at all to the residential component, the affordable housing rate jumps from 11.5% (what it was at the time of approval) to 20% (current requirement). They'd need to add a heck of a lot of units to offset that massive cost increase.

Are they going to open up a couple of the streets here after this finishes.

See-through view

BhNMJpQh.jpg

Bonus: adjacent low-rise commercial space foundation work is finishing up

9BLA9pih.jpg

Wondering why the exhaust stacks stayed since the building went office vs. lab?
Maybe there is still plans to include some, or to be ready for the future.
Are there actually high plume lab exhaust fans installed, or just round enclosures to mimic the look for now, and house future exhaust stacks?

You're not wrong but also they're trying to guard against erosion. It may just go dormant and be fine

Back