Patriots Place

JS38

Reaction score
Looking forward to some renderings...too bad this all couldnt have been built in the South Boston Waterfront like Kraft originally wanted instead of out there on Route 1...smart-growth my behind...never got why they didnt want the football stadium in Southie but then lobbied for a new Red Sox field, which has many more game days...

Patriots owner aims to develop a 'destination'
Kraft envisions turning parking lots into a massive retail, entertainment complex
By Robert Preer, Globe Correspondent | July 29, 2006

FOXBOROUGH -- Packed mainly on game days and for special events, Gillette Stadium would draw crowds every day with owner Robert Kraft's plans to turn some parking lots into 1.2 million square feet of stores, restaurants, theaters, a hotel, and a New England Patriots museum.

The Patriots owner's recently filed plans for a shopping and entertainment complex feature a series of building s designed around plazas and open spaces, which Kraft's company has said would promote a ``pedestrian-friendly environment." One drawing from the company shows a series of buildings, some with walls of glass, and multilevel decks and patios flanking a broad set of stairs and a plaza that lead to the stadium.

Gillette Stadium itself would serve as a visual backdrop for the new Patriot Place. It would be built on 90 acres within the 265-acre general stadium area, so many of the existing parking lots will remain in service.

The development plans filed with the town show several large, free-standing stores and a 200-room hotel just south of the stadium on a parking lot Kraft acquired last year. One cluster of buildings would include the one tenant Kraft's company has confirmed: Bass Pro Shops, a national outdoor retailer with stores that have a large entertainment component, including wildlife dioramas, massive log and rock work, and waterfalls.

The rest of the commercial development would face Route 1 and be in front of the stadium. An open-air pedestrian mall would be lined with smaller shops and anchored by office buildings and a 16-screen theater. Also included in the project are a broadcast studio, health-and-fitness club, and an expanded Patriots pro shop.

Still, many details have yet to be decided, said Stacey James, the team's executive director of media relations. ``A lot of it is still a concept," James said. ``The hope is that this will become a destination location where people will come for entertainment." To compensate for the loss of parking, the Patriots are building a large parking lot on the other side of Route 1. At least two pedestrian underpasses are being built to get patrons to the stadium.

Patriot Place development would mean a dramatic makeover for a stretch of Route 1 that, in terms of development, has lagged other nearby sections. To the north is the bustling Route 1 Automile, the misnamed cluster of car dealers that stretches 7 miles from Walpole to West Roxbury. To the south is Emerald Square Mall and a series of smaller shopping centers extending to the Rhode Island border.

Patriot Place received approval last month from the state Executive Office of Environmental Affairs. The project conforms to Foxborough's zoning rules, which were revised in 1999 to allow construction of the new stadium and a mixed-use development next to it. But the Kraft group needs town approval of its plans to manage traffic, as well as authorization from both the state and town for a dozen liquor licenses for the restaurants planned at Patriot Place.

Foxborough is preparing to hire a consultant to study the plans. Kraft and his organization hope to obtain the remaining needed approvals over the next six months and start construction after football season ends. Construction is estimated to take 24 to 30 months. With Patriot Place, the Patriots would join a growing number of NFL teams trying to use stadiums as catalysts for commercial development.

The San Francisco 49ers are working with Lennar Corp. of Miami on a new stadium complex that would include retail, offices, and housing. The New York Giants and New York Jets are planning a shared stadium with attached retail and entertainment venues in the New Jersey Meadowlands.

Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones is looking to develop a retail, restaurant, and entertainment complex next to a new stadium he wants to build in Arlington, Texas.

``You can make the stadium a magnet, an icon, and use it to attract real estate and commercial development around it," said Andrew Zimbalist , a Smith College economist who specializes in sports business. Moreover, combining a commercial project with a stadium makes sense, since sports facilities already have parking, roads, and other infrastructure to handle big crowds, said Jim Grinstead, editor of Nashville-based newsletter Revenues from Sports Venues.

``For a long time you had sports team owners who focused strictly on their teams," Grinstead said. ``Increasingly, they are becoming real estate people."

? Copyright 2006 Globe Newspaper Company.

Good stuff, but I agree that this all should have been in Boston.

They should add housing. And the MBTA should turn their game-day-only service to Foxboro into a regular service.

That probably requires upgrading the track. I think the football trains now move at freight speeds on that branch.

That's my understanding, though I've never been on these trains. They are the only passenger trains that use the branch, and they run at most 15 times a year. (8 regular season Patriots games, 2 pre-season games, maybe a playoff or two, and a few concerts).

For each event, one train comes from Boston, another from Providence.

Perhaps a deal can be struck to get more trains down there. I'm sure CSX or whomever it is is willing to work for the right price. The Krafts have deep pockets.

Top speeds depend on the class of the track. CSX owns most of the rail lines around here and theirs is rated Class 4, meaning 60 MPH top speed for freight and 80 MPH for passenger trains. However, a lot of times it's the bend in the tracks that truly limit top speeds, since most of them were laid down to twist and turn their way through all the little towns and hamlets, avoid bodies of water and major gradient changes, ect. I know the Bos-Alb Amtrak train rarely gets above 50 because of this.

Ahh, I see.

Where is the station in relation to the stadium? Will this new sportsman's village be close to the Foxboro T station?

ZenZen said:
Ahh, I see.

Where is the station in relation to the stadium? Will this new sportsman's village be close to the Foxboro T station?

The station is at the stadium

Patriots place proceeds

Another rendering and more info I found online here from the architects, Arrowstreet:
http://www.arrowstreet.com/on_the_boards.php?otbID=110

If only all this was developed in the Seaport, where the stadium should have been, and not down in the nether-regions of Route 1, could you imagine the energy and vitality it would bring to the city? And the traffic nightmares might even create enough momentum to get real transit to the waterfront, instead of just the pathetic Silverline........(optimistically they will have to do it eventually anyways! Hoping, at least....)

Yuck. Bass Pro- Stores. It's just a matter of personal taste, but i don't like to see this type of (for lack of a better term) "country" store being associated with the NFL. Patriots Pro-Shop is ok, but Bass is not ok with me. even if it is in the Suburbs.

I agree with the comment about retail development and the stadium in South Boston though. i believe this is what is needed on the waterfront there... some real stimuli. Gillette attracts 68,000 people on at least 8 weekends per year, which is reason enough to develop some sort of entertainment/ retail district there. on the same token as "it takes money to make money," it takes a destination to make a destination, and south boston is NOT a destination yet, it'll be interesting to see how that plays out. Anyway, wrong thread.

Back on topic... it's a nice idea aside from my personal distaste for Bass. it'll be interesting to see how that works out. it's gonna be hell on the 495/95 intersection area (an area which i avoid at all costs anyway) if it works, but it'll nice to see how that works out.

Lrfox said:
Yuck. Bass Pro- Stores. It's just a matter of personal taste, but i don't like to see this type of (for lack of a better term) "country" store being associated with the NFL. Patriots Pro-Shop is ok, but Bass is not ok with me. even if it is in the Suburbs.

I tend to agree with this, I went to six games this year, and at least from my vantage point, rarely saw anyone who would be the type to frequent this type of store. That kind of stuff may be great for Kansas City or Indianapolis, but we deserve better. I would rather have the status quo than something that is only going to attract a very low end and undesirable clientele. The Krafts have been fantastic about accommodating the premium customer and for them to build something like that would be a slap in the face to those who fill the fidelity clubhouse seats and the suites. This is one of the best facilities in the NFL and to build this kind of project would be simply wrong. Money is the goal and some huntin' and fishin' shack is not going to be the ultimate money maker. I would say build a 350 room Westin or Sheraton with a conference center, a few higher end restaurants, perhaps another Abe & Louie's and a Legal Seafoods. After that develop some retail, but make things more friendly toward those not sitting in the heaven seats. I know this will ultimately get built and the cheap seat, cheaper beer crowd is going to love it, but I really wish they would keep this kind of crap in middleboro.

Is Bass similar to LL Bean? (And if so, why didn't the Patriots partner with Bean, a New England company?)

Bass Proshops is more of a wal-mart type thing for all red state sporting ventures(hunting, fishing, etc.) It is nothing like LL Bean, which I think might be a bit lame for the stadium crowd, people want to have some fun; eat and drink well, not buy a cardigan and corduroys.

And to think that Buffalo has been struggling to get a Bass Pro downtown for, oh, just the last 5 years...

Not that Eastern Massachusetts is completely devoid of "Rednecks" for lack of a better term, but we don't have the demand they do for businesses like Bass Proshops in places like Buffalo or the Midwest

Poor Buffalo though. they have a really struggling downtown, i am pretty sure (correct me if i'm wrong) that Buffalo hasn't seen any major construction or additions downtown since the 70s (although there are some proposals now). They can have the Bass store that's scheduled for Pat's Place if they want it. fine with me.

I think it should have some nice entertainment, like nice bars (maybe a McFadden's?) and some more local flavor. Whoever suggested an L.L. Bean would have my support more than Bass (Bean is slightly less..hmm... white trashy?) Bean is a New England product and could be represented by the Patriots; however, as was suggested above, it may be a little too yuppie. I also like the Idea of a Legal Seafood. as for Other Suggestions, we have T.K. O'Malley's on the SouthCoast which would work (in keeping with the Irish chain theme), City Sports would do Ok for a retailer, and why not a Margaritaville (like the one in Orlando or Margaritas (found mostly in Northern New England like Portland, ME and in NH) for a fun tropical themed place. just some ideas.

**Edit: just thought of this one... ESPN Zone restaurant/ entertainment complex... similar to Dave and Buster's if you've never been to an ESPN Zone. the two i have been to work nicely in Times Square, and on the Inner Harbor in Baltimore (converted powerplant).

Back