Patriots Place

Personally, I think that this development is actually pretty good. I will reserve my final judgment until I am able to see an entire list of the tenants, as there are going to be many more that the major ones listed.

I do have two gripes though: 1) A residential sector should have been included and 2) I wish that the transportation around the facility was better. A residential component would have almost forced this second issue, as the MBTA would basically have to run a faster and more frequent rail service through that area.

Overall, though, I think that this is actually an ok development.

bosman,
why would a residential component force the MBTA to run a faster and more frequent rail service through that area? There are entire cities and towns around Boston w/populations in the tens of thousands w/out any rail access; I don't think one development (while it's a welcome benefit)would force the issue for the fiscally burdened MBTA.

Because there is already a rail station there. It's not like they would have to build an entire new railway out there. The residents in that area would push for the MBTA to increase the rail service out there. It obviously isn't plausible when the MBTA would have to spend a ton of money to build a new track and station. While 'force' is probably the wrong word, it would certainly put a lot more pressure on the MBTA to increase the rail service.

Regarding Patriot Place (aka, "Get All Your Shitty Merchandise Crap In One Place")

FOXBOROUGH - With the opening of a Circuit City in the shadow of Gillette Stadium yesterday, the Kraft Group kicked off its $350 million Patriot Place shopping and entertainment complex.

And there's more to come at the 1.3 million-square-foot project.

A Christmas Tree Shop, Bed Bath & Beyond, and Bass Pro Shops are scheduled to open in the next two weeks. And by next fall, the rest of the complex - including a New England football hall of fame, 14-screen movie theater, medical office building, a dozen restaurants, hotel, and about 70 stores in an open air lifestyle center mall - is scheduled to open.

Jonathan Kraft, president of the organization and son of company founder Robert Kraft, called Patriot Place a "super-regional lifestyle and entertainment destination" and a "legacy project" for his family.

Patriot Place also is part of a larger rush by developers to open shopping venues in Boston's southwest suburbs. Mansfield Crossing, a 395,000-square-foot shopping center, opened this fall in neighboring Mansfield. And work is slated to start soon on Legacy Place in Dedham and at Westwood Station, two large projects off Route 128. Also planned is Sharon Commons, an approximately 450,000-square-foot lifestyle center off Interstate 95.

Until the New England Patriots new stadium opened five years ago, the area around it was a moonscape of unpaved parking lots. The Kraft Group considered developing the 700-acre property shortly after the stadium's completion, said Ted Fire, Kraft's director of project administration.

Patriot Place's stores are expected to be open on game days, although the theaters will be closed, according to Fire. During game days, access to the stores and entertainment venues will be via separate roads. To keep tailgaters and football fans out of the store parking areas, lots will be gated and store patrons will get tickets that allow them to stay for limited periods.

Source: Patriots Place Coming Alive

Last edited:
Patriot Place also is part of a larger rush by developers to open shopping venues in Boston's southwest suburbs. Mansfield Crossing, a 395,000-square-foot shopping center, opened this fall in neighboring Mansfield. And work is slated to start soon on Legacy Place in Dedham and at Westwood Station, two large projects off Route 128. Also planned is Sharon Commons, an approximately 450,000-square-foot lifestyle center off Interstate 95.

Can all these survive together??

I wonder how the movie studios will feel about a theatre that is closed intermittently due to football games.

I wonder how the movie studios will feel about a theatre that is closed intermittently due to football games.

I imagine for only 10-12 Sundays a year (assuming playoff appearences), any theater company won't be too disappointed.

The reality of only a few games a year in NFL stadiums is one of the reasons they don't bring as much economic benefit as people hope.

Back