Philadelphia - Logan Square , Ben Franklin Parkway and Rittenhouse Square

Nexis4jersey

Reaction score
Last weekend I went down to Philly and South Jersey...and took a ton of Photos which I will breakdown into different Threads.

Logan Square

Benjamin Franklin Parkway - Philadelphia,Pennsylvania by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

030 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

Logan Square - Philadelphia,Pennsylvania by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

Swann Memorial Fountain - Logan Square - Philadelphia,Pennsylvania by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

Swann Memorial Fountain - Logan Square - Philadelphia,Pennsylvania by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

Aero Monument - Center City - Philadelphia by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

Ben Franklin Parkway - Susan G Komen Race for the Cure

441 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

443 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

444 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

445 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

446 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

447 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

448 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

449 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

450 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

452 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

453 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

457 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

458 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

460 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

461 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

462 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

463 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

465 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

466 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

470 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

472 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

474 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

475 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

476 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

478 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

Rittenhouse Square

Rittenhouse Square - Philadelphia,Pennsylvania by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

~Corey

looks like a smaller New York and alot like Boston thanks for sharing its a city on my list to see!

I love Philly. It reminds me of Boston when I was a kid back in the 80s and 90s before everything got too ritzy.

Every time I see those beautiful colonial streets in Philly I want to go check it out more. I have not spent much time in Philly at all, and barely any since I was young.

One thing I don't get about Philly: Why is it so cheap?
I've been 2-3 times, each for 1-2 days, and have liked it.
From time to time I check Curbed Philly and see rock-bottom house prices - the stuff Detroit nightmares are made of. OK - it's nothing like Detroit, but Philly property sells at a HUGE discount vs. Boston. I'm always half-tempted to consider buying there to live/invest ... but then I ask, "Wait, there must be a reason why it's so cheap."
Is Philly a truly horrible ghetto? I imagine the school system is a disaster, but still: a city 2 hours from both NYC and DC - not to mention one of the largest, most prominent and historic cities in the country - can't be as dumpy as its home prices suggest. Any thoughts?

http://philly.curbed.com/archives/2...-outdoor-space-available-in-the-5-br-home.php
http://philly.curbed.com/archives/2014/05/15/exposed-brick-galore-threelevel-townhouse-ask-565k.php
http://philly.curbed.com/archives/2...antown-manor-with-own-mezzanine-asks-585k.php

Last time I was out there, I went to some new swanky Jose Garces restaurant. In Boston, it'd automatically be a top 10 place if not higher. The neighborhood it was in though was a complete dump. There's not even a neighborhood in Boston it comes close to. I don't really know why Philly's been slower than Boston to re-gentrify. Seems like the local economy has the prerequisite higher ed and finance industry. It'd probably make for an interesting PhD dissertation.

If you took Boston and dropped it smack in the middle of Detroit you'd have Philly. Its this really beautiful, metropolitan oasis surrounded by a wasteland of severely depressed, abandoned and/or burnt out rowhouses.

Interesting, that's what I figured. I had a glimpse of that once not when driving through Philly (you don't really see the ghetto on I-95, I think) but when taking a non-Acela Amtrak from Boston to DC (at a cost of smth crazy like $450 RT).

In both Philly and Baltimore there were huge unending expanses of beautiful old 19th-century rowhouses in the worst shape you could imagine. It was Mad Max-esque. I guess you have enough of that and it brings prices down for everyone...

If you took Boston and dropped it smack in the middle of Detroit you'd have Philly. Its this really beautiful, metropolitan oasis surrounded by a wasteland of severely depressed, abandoned and/or burnt out rowhouses.

Only North and West Philly are really bad.... Northwest and Northeast Philly are where the middle and upper class live along with Center City. South Philly is working class.... Theres also University City which is part of West Philly and is mainly made up of students and teachers... I can't really say all of North Philly is bad , there are some gentrifying areas like Fishtown and Fairmount.

Interesting, that's what I figured. I had a glimpse of that once not when driving through Philly (you don't really see the ghetto on I-95, I think) but when taking a non-Acela Amtrak from Boston to DC (at a cost of smth crazy like $450 RT).

In both Philly and Baltimore there were huge unending expanses of beautiful old 19th-century rowhouses in the worst shape you could imagine. It was Mad Max-esque. I guess you have enough of that and it brings prices down for everyone...

Boston to DC is 200 RT if booked in advanced....you do see the ghetto from 95...76/676 you don't.

Back