Photo of the Day, Boston Style - Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.
More Harvard:

img2491harv.jpg

img2446h.jpg

img2445r.jpg

The colorful chairs have added some new life to the Yard. Too bad they'll be taken away at the end of the month.

Are they expected to return next season?

Unfortunately, the way the weathers been shifting it's expected that when they migrate in the spring they may decide to settle around Connecticut.

That's what the Seaport will look like in 30 years.

Minus the heavy rail, of course.

Oooh don't hate, who wouldn't want a city to resemble Kendall? (sarcasm)

IMG_3150.jpg

IMG_3145.jpg

IMG_3136.jpg

Which part of Providence? Certainly not of Brown University, or Federal Hill, or Wickenden Street.

I'm not sure. I went to Providence for clubbing and I remember a few low-rise buildings that have concrete facade with no windows facing the streets, surface parking lots, and somewhat dull buildings.

Which part of Providence? Certainly not of Brown University, or Federal Hill, or Wickenden Street.

First off, Van, I'm continuing the discussion, but feel free to move this as you see fit.

Now, I would assume that kentxie is referring to the Jewelery District area (Near Elements, Level II, Ultra, etc) which, unfortunately, has lots of gaps and surface lots.

I think Kendall reminds me more of the newer construction in Providence up near the Amtrak station... not so oriented to the streets, unfortunately.

Much of downtown Providence and the areas you mentioned are very urban... the area where the clubs are, is a bit gap-toothed and run down. Pine Street is the dividing line (check it out on google maps) heading East from there, it's a mess of surface lots and crappy buildings... West of that it's great.

I'll let the discussion continue but I'll move any new pics. I didn't want to close the thread since it is such a treasure trove of great pictures and thoughts.

I believe the district referred to above is largely severed from the rest of Providence by the elevated I-195 ... but also that the city is in the process of moving that highway away from the district. Construction seemed to be well along when I visited a few weeks ago.

I-195 East and West both flow along the new section of highway. The old section is due to come down soon. The plan calls for significant development as well as some new parkland and public space. It really seems like they are doing their best to avoid a Greenway repeat. JWU, RISD and Brown have already made a big push to get some of the newly available land.

My go to source on this project is the 195 section of Greater City Providence: http://www.gcpvd.org/more/195-streetgrid/

Great. Once again Providence bests Boston in planning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back