Photo of the Day, Boston Style - Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.
This week, the exterior of the newest of the buildings (West Village F) will be more-or-less complete, and it will house the new African American Institute (along with honors housing and classrooms and such). The old African American Institute is ugly, old, and right in front of West Village F. It is scheduled for demolition this week. After that, we will be able to see what F really will look like on the new beautiful campus of NU.

(but not totally, because they are replacing the old AAI with a beautiful park, and a lot of the construction vehicles might still be in the way)

I will not be around boston, so I wont be able to get any really good pictures of West F as it is now, but I have a terribly lit picture from about a month ago:

DSC_1341.jpg

I'll leave the Northeastern Pictures out of this thread and make it's own thread.

DudeUrSistersHot said:
Considering all the "open space" on the NU campus, I dunno if I'd say that it has the most urban campus. You wouldn't consider BU more urban?

I'd say BU is more urban, but much less campus-like, in the traditional sense of the word. There's never any spot where you feel like you're truly "in" their campus, thanks to being hemmed in by the Mass Pike and Storrow Drive, and being bisected by Comm Ave. No depth, no sense of truly being "there" when you've got thousands upon thousands of residents and commuters with no relation to the university constrantly whizzing on by. NU has a decent amount of open space, most of which is in the newer West Campus area, but it still has a decidedly urban feel to it. And I like the variety of buildings and site irregularities there.

So I guess BU is more "urban" in the true gritty, mixed-up sense of the word.

But NU is much more "urban campus."

justin said:
Yes. Boston's most beautiful building.

justin

i became obsessed with this building the first time i drove by it. i think i even begged someone to do a writeup in the "architect of the month" thread here on paul rudolph.

could you post whatever it was you posted on the other site here regarding this building? i would very much appreciate it!

briv said:
justin said:
Yes. Boston's most beautiful building.

justin

I wouldnt say that, Justin, but that thread you posted on the SSG forum really made me see this building in a completely different light.

I think a repost is in order.

yes, please repost! :D

Emerson's Tufte building? Stuffed between other buildings, barely showing itself.

TheBostonian identified it. It's the Tufte Center, Emerson College's only completely new, purpose-built structure. You can see it from only one viewpoint: the small alley running off Tremont Street, between the Majestic Theatre and the Little Building. It's really jammed in there between the Majestic, the Colonial, and the Transportation Building. The best time to view it is at night, when it's lit up in constantly changing colors.

The public entrance to the Tufte is not from that alley, however. It's from Boylston Place.

Mystery pic...

garbribe - that is a good one. its a view of the yin yu tang house, a complete chinese ancient qing dynasty house they transported brick by brick over from china and rebuilt adjacent to the new Peabody Essex Museum in Salem.

http://www.pem.org/yinyutang/

If youre into that sort of thing, I recommend the short trip there highly, also to check out Safdie's new museum building if you havent yet, but also for the house, which has all the period furnishings, interiors and objects of that family still there. Makes a good day trip (gotta pay a little extra to go into the house though, besides the regular museum fee).

Yeah, I like having a traditional Chinese house and a traditional New England house in one shot. Safdie's new building:
IMG_1338.jpg

[/img]

^ Kinda looks like the Intercontinental Hotel if it were designed in the early '80s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back