Photo of the Day, Boston Style - Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.
The dominate sex of a particular institution usually can be observed in the use of brick versus stone. For example Yale versus Wellesley.

What would Brown, Harvard, Columbia, and Amherst think of that?

I know there was a period of time in the 1920s when firms like McKim, Mead, and White were pushing a continental v. colonial American distinction in architecture for the sexes - men leaned more toward the neoclassical or Germanic, women toward a very homey, Puritan variant on Georgian. Never heard of the stone/brick distinction, though.

The future was... a city!

It still is. Coolidge has been accumulating tall buildings over time - but slowly.

That specific view looks the same as it did in 1947, but there's been lots of construction since up and down Beacon, and infill on the side streets.

Come to think of it, I'm utterly shocked that the 8/9/10? story Marriott ever got built. That was well before I ever cared about changes in the built environment, but I can imagine how great community opposition must've been. Anyone remember what was there before?

Here's to the blind hope that the Centre St parking lot (behind the theater) one day gets developed!!

Photo by wenman2:

3457551533_2901161cba_o.jpg

WTF!... they could save like $3000/mo if they turned those blue lights off.

Yeah, they're nice but I'd rather have 'em on the Zakim for all those panoramic shots during the commercial breaks of the playoffs. You were probably being funny Lurker, but I'm just saying...

The first pic is from a couple weeks ago. The second I took on my buddy's boat from my hometown of Scituate. Both were taken with my BlackBerry Storm. The camera is pretty good, but for some reason the phone will choose the size/detail of the picture as you can see when looking at these two pictures. The second one didn't come out as good as I would have liked, but it was a unique view that I don't think has been posted on the thread yet, so here ya go:
Work.jpg

From Scituate, with Minot Light in the foreground:
utf-8BTWlub3QgJiBCb3N0b24uanBn.jpg

Come to think of it, I'm utterly shocked that the 8/9/10? story Marriott ever got built. That was well before I ever cared about changes in the built environment, but I can imagine how great community opposition must've been. Anyone remember what was there before?

I'm pretty sure this was a town parking lot and site of a frequent farmers market.

It must have been hard for the lighthouse keeper to get to work...

The original lighthouse keepers died there in a storm. The second one they built (this one) was out of solid rock, not wood poles. A little reminiscent of the "three little pigs" story, huh?

There is an interesting memorial in Cohasset Harbor that explains the history of this lighthouse (Minot Light).

Yea as Pelmanhall mentioned, they had more than a tough time getting to work because they're all dead.

I don't know why those chumps in Cohasset are always trying to take credit for Minot Light, it's ours ;)

So, not technically a photo and certainly not original material but I didn't feel it was worthy of its own thread so I'm going to post it here and our esteemed mods can do with it as they see fit.

I saw this posted on City-data.com in a thread titled "Music Videos in your City" and thought I'd share it. I am young and I like a lot of different types of music, but I did have to watch this one on "mute" because it's too freaking catchy and my room mates would laugh at me if they heard me listening to the song.

However, the video for Boys Like Girls- Hero/Heroin (these guys are from the area... the singer is from Raynham I believe) is actually quite a nice little video tour of Boston... nice shots of the Longfellow Bridge, Northern Ave. Bridge, Fort Point Channel/ Skyline, Landsdowne Street, etc.

Here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxT9x2AskFQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back