Photo of the Day, Boston Style - Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.
St. Patrick's looks like a miniature jewel box from this view. Nice.

I was joking. I'm not retarded/too lazy to follow the link.

20070901-253.jpg

Will the Lobster parcel of land ever be redeveloped into a tower?

I certainly hope not!

It's one of the greatest juxtapositions in Boston.

It will, but not for a little while yet -- they just put a fresh coat of paint on the building a month ago.

This is the last remaining part of the working waterfront. Why would anyone want it to move out?

xec said:

Say what you will about the failures of the Greenway but you have to admit this picture is really encouraging. You do remember what it looked like 15 years ago right? Nice shot xec.

I don't in fact remember what used to be where International Place is now. Can you remind us?

I thought Travelers was to the left (south) of the Moakley Bridge, while Int'l Place is to the north. Also, wasn't Int'l Place already built when the Travelers was imploded?

your right

Ron Newman said:
I thought Travelers was to the left (south) of the Moakley Bridge, while Int'l Place is to the north. Also, wasn't Int'l Place already built when the Travelers was imploded?

I think you are right. It must have just been the Fort Hill garage which I think was imploded during a football game, super bowl?

Ron Newman said:

You're right Ron. In the implosion pictures International Place is just to the right (north). The Travelers Building is what is now 125 High Street. It also houses the BFD Downtown Ladder Unit.

To even further orient you, this building is directly across the the street (Purchase Street and Atlantic Ave, respectively) from the Intercontinental.

bowesst said:
Say what you will about the failures of the Greenway but you have to admit this picture is really encouraging. You do remember what it looked like 15 years ago right? Nice shot xec.

Thanks bowesst. I agree the state of the Greenway is pretty encouraging. To give some idea of what it looked like 15 years ago here's a picture of a picture in Campbell & Vanderwarker's "Cityscapes of Boston", published in 1992.
0709100003.jpg

And here's one from "Over Boston" by David King Gleason (1984) that should answer some questions over what used to be where.
0709100012.jpg

^ Very nice. A couple of my own shots from the Founders' Gallery:

74653460.jpg

74653458.jpg

Courthouse Station's very brief Blade Runner period -- just before the ads were installed. All those lit panels and concrete made it feel more like a dystopian spaceport than a...bus stop.

I wish they left it like this:
courthouse_station.jpg

courthouse_station_2.jpg

courthouse_station_3.jpg

courthouse_station_4.jpg

Travellers Implosion

I was at the Implosion

Standing in the cold near a corner of the Federal Reserve Bank
When the explosions began there was aloud cheer

As the smoke cleared a voice rang- out " They blew-up the wrong building" as International Place was still standing

Westy

I guess it's about time that I got into the image posting scene. AdamBC made it sound simple enough in reply to rayray...I think I can handle it. A couple shots from the top of the Dock Square garage:

60 State and 28 State forming a gateway to the Financial District
picture017rs1.jpg

Pointy hats
picture012pw0.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back