Photo of the Day, Boston Style: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
5041084835_6a16334ba8_b.jpg

Embarrassing. I was so caught up with the shot I did not get the address of this building. If you know it please comment here : )

A boring building for sure, but I've always admired how sleek it is for its era (the late '60s). If I didn't know any better, I'd say it were built in the early '80s.

5040997378_8a277b2588_b.jpg

PS: That's probably my favorite fire escape in the whole world.

Would probably suck a lot in the event of an actual fire, though...

And imagine me in my heels ... would never make it down. Sorry to those behind me.

Actually, I thought I nixed that corner blur thing... it's stupid.

Why don't you post some pictures? Contribute something POSITIVE for once. Or how about some more of your virtuosic music?

I posted a pic in that picture chain thread the other day. Is that "positive enough" for you?

A boring building for sure, but I've always admired how sleek it is for its era (the late '60s). If I didn't know any better, I'd say it were built in the early '80s.

Totally agree. In fact I did NOT know any better and had always assumed 28 State was early 1980's.

Mmm. 28 State Street, if I'm not mistaken, was on city-owned land. The city wanted to spur investment by private developers so it started construction on this as Government Center was being completed. I believe it had its intended effect, as the Bank of Boston building and those of other financial institutions started shortly thereafter.

The building was old and tired by the mid-to-late 1980's (or early 1990's?). After Shawmut was bought buy Bank of New England, I believe the new owners (or did BoNE own it the entire time?) had to completely renovate it (due to asbestos?). (Or was it after Fleet bought BoNE out of bankruptcy?)

I think the exterior was redone as well as the interior, no? Perhaps that's why it looks "modern".

I know the lobby was redone about 10 years ago, but I'm almost positive the exterior is original. Here it is right after it opened:

boston1970fanieul28st.jpg

I know the lobby was redone about 10 years ago...

Closer to 15 years ago, I think. Asbestos mitigation, new glass, new lobby.

It's a very plain-looking building, but I like its proportions; Emery Roth & Sons and Edward Larrabee Barnes were involved in the design. It's probably got a dozen siblings in Midtown Manhattan.

Glad to know that I'm not the only one who likes/doesn't mind that tower.

I still have a few more random touristy shots to post...
bostonmassachusettssumm.jpg

Closer to 15 years ago, I think. Asbestos mitigation, new glass, new lobby.

It's a very plain-looking building, but I like its proportions; Emery Roth & Sons and Edward Larrabee Barnes were involved in the design. It's probably got a dozen siblings in Midtown Manhattan.

Denver, actually.

denver_skyline.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back