Photo of the Day, Boston Style: Part XIV (2020)

Really like seeing the pics of the greenway in bloom again for another spring time.

So the trees were planted about 12 years ago now, so theyre probably around 13 years old give or take. How long do you guys think it will be until theyre mature? I know trees vary wildly, and luckily theres a good variety as well, but Ive heard that some can mature in as little as 15 years.

Also how deep is the dirt in the greenway? Its cut and cover so probably not much. Do they have enough dirt to grow to full height/width? I know tree roots will grow sideways when theyre in shallow dirt, so they find a way, but Im just curious. I love seeing the greenway fill in and mature a bit more each year. I hope one day the trees on the greenway grow to be huge like commonwealth ave, imagine that!

The Common was really beautiful yesterday evening. Love these early summer days with the electric green of new growth on the trees.
20200529_105246.jpg

Last edited:
Great shot. The Common rarely looks so good during the year.

Heres a photo of the day I came across from WCVB channel 5 Boston. A police car is on fire in downtown Boston. 2020 in a nutshell.

Link

Last edited:
Really disappointing turn of events that taints the original protest. All the business destruction for what....
Some depressing times we're going through.

But, whoever this guy is - - - bless him. We need more folks like this. (BTW, stumbled on it this morning, but the rest of his twitter feed great reading for Boston enthusiasts......)

Jonathan Berk
@berkie1

If you are able and interested in helping to clean up the city after last night. There’s a group meeting at 9am outside of Park Street Station. Please bring brooms, trash bags, gloves and any other cleaning materials that may be helpful. Please wear your mask.
@universalhub

Last edited:
1591032675246.png

[source unknown, picture's been re-shared across the internet hundreds of times by now]
We really had one of the largest and most peaceful protests until nightfall/when the protest disbanded..

^ Love the wide angle and crisp blacks on that.

View attachment 5445
[source unknown, picture's been re-shared across the internet hundreds of times by now]
We really had one of the largest and most peaceful protests until nightfall/when the protest disbanded..

Glad you shared this. Its important to show both sides and that although the violence makes for the most shocking pictures, its only a tiny part of the story.

Instead of Boston trying to catch up to other American cities with grid layouts and super tall buildings that it could never catch, I love instead watching Boston double down on what it does great which is human scaled urban density on tight streets.

Instead of Boston trying to catch up to other American cities with grid layouts and super tall buildings that it could never catch, I love instead watching Boston double down on what it does great which is human scaled urban density on tight streets.
The expansion of the urban fabric over the last decade has been more successful than I think many predicted. North Station, Seaport, NY Streets, Southie and (to a lesser extent) Kendall, Assembly and North Point significantly expand the amount of walkable urbanism connected to the core

It's really beautiful. I'm currently living in Denver and, while it's nice, I'll never be as happy here as I would be in Boston. My wife is from São Paulo and she immediately fell in love with Boston, too. Every time we go back to visit family, we don't want to leave. I miss the intimate urban streets & neighborhoods so much...when I do get to go back, I just walk and walk and walk. Denver is fine, but it's not urban. Walking through downtown or the surrounding neighborhoods is very 'bleh'. As far as newly-developing cities go, Denver's better than others (Atlanta, Houston, etc.) but the most urban parts of Denver don't match even neighborhoods like Allston when it comes to being friendly & inviting to pedestrians. My wife and I (back when we were dating in 2011) used to live next to Herb Chambers on Comm Ave and despite being outside the "core" of Boston, the neighborhood was so great for walking around. The chaotic, old world streets of Boston make it so you have to be able to get around by foot and it makes for such a delightful experience.

I hope I'll someday have the opportunity to move back.

Last edited:

Back