Photo of the Day, Boston Style: Part XVIII (2024)

The eye-roll emoji really drives your point home. Well played.

Yes, nothing of note or value has been devloped in Boston for the last 100 years. You win.

One more from the MOS visit in the new year. Walking up over the bridge in Cambridge to get to the Esplanade. My wife Liz not appreciating the bitter cold, my son Anthony excited to be on an adventure.

Anthony passed away suddenly less than 2 weeks later on January 12th at the age of 5. We're crushed, but trying to remember the joy and light he brought and spread it to the world.

Attachments

• IMG_3253_1.JPG
    IMG_3253_1.JPG
    727.1 KB · Views: 87

Yes, nothing of note or value has been devloped in Boston for the last 100 years. You win.
Yes, plenty has been developed in the past 100 years. But @Blackbird was saying none of it has resulted in attractive places that might draw pedestrians to walk and hang around.

Saying nothing like that has been build in a 100 years seems like an exaggeration, but.... roughly correct. There are scattered counter examples, but not many. Despite this pic, this spot is usually busy, especially in warmer weather. If you know of some others, post pics. I'd love to see.

Saying nothing like that has been build in a 100 years seems like an exaggeration, but.... roughly correct. There are scattered counter examples, but not many. Despite this pic, this spot is usually busy, especially in warmer weather. If you know of some others, post pics. I'd love to see.

That spot’s not even in Boston! 🤐

Anthony passed away suddenly less than 2 weeks later on January 12th at the age of 5. We're crushed, but trying to remember the joy and light he brought and spread it to the world.

I’m so sorry to hear that.

I'm so sorry, and my deepest condolences to you and your family.

Yes, plenty has been developed in the past 100 years. But @Blackbird was saying none of it has resulted in attractive places that might draw pedestrians to walk and hang around.

I'm clear on the point that was being made. As for the notion that there haven't been many, or in Blackbird's view *any*, "attractive places that might draw pedestrians to walk and hang around," might some (all?) of that be due to Boston being 1) very physically small, and 2) relatively good at preserving pre-existing spaces that provide those experiences? That the Common, Public Gardens, Commonwealth Mall, Esplanade, North End, etc. were already developed 100 years (or earlier) ago and still exist shouldn't be a condemnation of the city or viewed as a negative.

Regarding more recent, "walkable" areas -- whether you deem them fully or only partially successul, anyone who doesn't view the Greenway or Seaport (and plenty of other, less-"new" but still well under 100-year-old, developments) as enjoyable to walk around is either irretrievably stupid or has an agenda.

One more from the MOS visit in the new year. Walking up over the bridge in Cambridge to get to the Esplanade. My wife Liz not appreciating the bitter cold, my son Anthony excited to be on an adventure.

How unspeakably sad. My very sincere condolences re: your (awfully recent) loss.

Arenacale, sending my deepest condolences and sympathy to you, your wife Liz, and to both of your extended families. Such a crushing loss to deal with, one I can't even imagine. So, so sorry. I have to say, your Anthony is such a cool little dude with his owl scarf/cap, and his obviously loving his wandering around Boston in spite of the cold! Thank you for sharing with the rest of us your tremendous loss, as well as Anthony's picture with the rest of us.

Last edited:
This thing still gets my vote for best-worst piece of architecture in the entire city

53517909556_cf3f745b38_3k.jpg

Still got that corrugated mid-'70s brick, and I bet you $50 the common spaces are blanketed in it as well

53518225239_d0d68a8877_3k.jpg

This thing still gets my vote for best-worst piece of architecture in the entire city

53517909556_cf3f745b38_3k.jpg

Still got that corrugated mid-'70s brick, and I bet you $50 the common spaces are blanketed in it as well

53518225239_d0d68a8877_3k.jpg
The visuals on that sign get my love.

Back