Pier 4 Condo Building (Former Anthony's site) | Seaport

Will it be converted to a restaurant or something after all the units are sold? It looks about the right size for something small and intimate, with the kinds of views Anthony's once had.

No, it will be torn down to build a park.

Usually, but the seaport innovation center is a temporary building that was supposed to be torn down and they ended up keeping it for the indefinite future.

The difference though, in the case of Pier 4, is that the park area in front of the condo is a well-known part of the development project. Unless, of course, I missed a project change notice.

Why aren't these crazy environmental groups as obsessed with this project as they are with Cronin's ABG/Whiskey project? A year ago, you could stand at the base of Pier 4 and you had unobstructed view across the Harbor to Logan. Now, and in the future, you will have no direct water view unless you walk down the Pier. Its funny how these politically backed environmental groups pick and choose which projects to fight. I'm for both of them, but these two new buildings clearly obstruct the public's view to the waterfront (although they are not building on state tidal land I guess).

Why aren't these crazy environmental groups as obsessed with this project as they are with Cronin's ABG/Whiskey project? A year ago, you could stand at the base of Pier 4 and you had unobstructed view across the Harbor to Logan. Now, and in the future, you will have no direct water view unless you walk down the Pier. Its funny how these politically backed environmental groups pick and choose which projects to fight. I'm for both of them, but these two new buildings clearly obstruct the public's view to the waterfront (although they are not building on state tidal land I guess).

The reason the CLF is pissed about the ABG and Whiskey Priest project is because the owners of those properties effectively never held up their end of a long ago deal for the site where those buildings are sitting. The CLF is arguing the state is not enforcing its own rules wrt to Chap 91 and is suing Cronin and the state to get the state to enforce the rules it put on the books in the first place.

It's a totally different (and fubar) situation compared to this project.

The reason the CLF is pissed about the ABG and Whiskey Priest project is because the owners of those properties effectively never held up their end of a long ago deal for the site where those buildings are sitting. The CLF is arguing the state is not enforcing its own rules wrt to Chap 91 and is suing Cronin and the state to get the state to enforce the rules it put on the books in the first place.

It's a totally different (and fubar) situation compared to this project.

The essence of the law is for the public to have rights to the waterfront. While this technically may not quality for Ch 91, they are still being blocked. It just seems silly that there are countless building on the waterfront (Tez, legal, Tony C) that didn't get this grief and also had prior structures in their place. Just build the thing already.

33213772624_2c62a374ca_b.jpg

Thought I'd post a few recent renders to remind us about what this is going to look like. Apologize if some of these are repeats, but several are flagged as "created 4 days ago" on google:

Say what you will about the design, but I do think it is a departure from other recent Seaport luxe condos in terms of materials and finishes.

1) Via realtor sales sites:
0.106413001492714687.png

0.742636001492714683.png

The park at the end of the pier:

0.309141001492714696.png

2) Via the developer's website:

L5I7o1I.jpg

Exterior close-up:

64PVN08.jpg

Interior finishes...this appears to be a more traditional kitchen than the whitewashed/ultra-modern/minimalist look that 22 Liberty and 50 Liberty have employed:

mQOyySm.png

^ Although I am not a huge fan of the architecture, I think it interacts with the site quite well. The park at the end of the pier is a nice addition to the Harborwalk, and I like the departure from the other looks nearby.

^ I feel similarly.

Things I like:
- that they did not go to max height...and the longer-than-wide aspect ratio evokes nice parallels to the wtc/commonwealth pier and ICA neighbors. The short height makes a nice step-up effect from the harbor to the taller office buildings behind it...this is a bit of a failing of 50/22 Liberty, which contribute to a monolith of same-height boxes.

- Use of different materials, including what appears to be off-white brick. This also bridges the gap between commonwealth pier and the glass boxes.

- the park. this has got to be one of the better developer-implemented greenspaces in the seaport thus far.

- the "v-shaped" columns at ground level. (see first image). Use of angles makes a nice connection to the ICA. Most of the other new neighbors are boring steel box structures.

What I don't like.
- the random balcony protrusion thing feels forced and is getting old fast.

- the glass curtain wall facing the harbor is blah...wish they could have come up with something else to face the harbor, as this will contribute to the overall homogenous wall of glass facing the harbor from the seaport.

Very cool building. Every time I see a rendering from the front showing the curve (the second picture) I'm reminded of the building that was to go over one of the ramps on the Greenway (the History Center maybe) that resembled a giant worm.

I'm liking this more every time I look at it. The design allows optimal view from each of the balconies. It will look awesome from the water, and I agree that it has the same feel as the museum that was to be built on the Greenway. This is a better location for this design IMO.

Back