Pinnacle at Central Wharf (Harbor Garage) | 70 East India Row | Waterfront | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn't the natural progression be that we take Harbor Towers by eminent domain, in the name of increasing public access to the waterfront and Climate Change resiliency? At least the Aquarium is a public facility. The towers and their giant super WASPy gated private pool and patio area are easily the worst part of the Harbor Walk and the biggest void in the network between Long Wharf/North End and Fort Point/Seaport. This tower would be set back from the water enough and be publicly oriented enough that it wouldn't degrade public access or the public experience. As for the Towers, there's no question they are actively doing that today. Is their only defense 'We were here first'?

At this point they should just make the garage a museum. A museum all about stupidity. Just remember this is landfill, literally our trash, that we are fighting about.

Pandering to wealthy NIMBYS while using buzzwords of climate change and racism as an excuse.

I'm beginning to think that Janey is an idiot.

Not at all, my good man. If anything, she's just the opposite: she's a politician, i.e. smart enough to fool enough people enough of the time to make a good living by playing politics.

Not at all, my good man. If anything, she's just the opposite: she's a politician, i.e. smart enough to fool enough people enough of the time to make a good living by playing politics.

This makes sense. Boston likes to consider itself a liberal bastion that is pro climate change, science..etc. Think of how many casual voters who dont know anything about the nuances of the situation here just hearing buzzwords about Janey caring about climate change and "protecting" Bostons waterfront from that future.

If she was a proponent of the project shed then be open to the cheap attacks that shes going against the science... bla bla bla. The sad part is its all a bunch of bs, but the majority of avg voters have no idea. This is a travesty from top to bottom in every way and in the end we get stuck with the shitty garage shittying up the waterfront until its eventually condemned and demolished and then we can look forward to a low rise or park in its place.

I hate to say it but Odurandina was right. (if annoyingly off-subject and out of scope, which is why he was eventually booted) After South Station Tower it's going to be a long time before we see another 500'+ tower built in Boston. A new tallest? Forget about that ever happening. The current crop of mayoral candidates are dreadful when it comes to bold constructions prospects. Back to the dark ages, except of course for 250' square blob buildings. Those will never stop being built.

All that momentum, ground to a screeching halt. Ouch. At least we're getting what we're getting but...
-1 Bromfield, could have been great by fixing street level, won't be post-overhaul
-Copley Place Tower - WTF?!?!
-Aquarium Tower - WTF?!?!
-Hub on Causeway Residential, supposed to be area's peak, instead cut, disappointing, whole area is now a blob.
-Winthrop Square Tower, can't believe they couldn't break 700'
-Parcel 15(?), should have broke 600', too much cut from 544' proposal, dead for a while
-Hawley proposal, why insist on something so short when remedial necessities plus FAA say make this taller than Winthrop Square?
-North Point, 1000' FAA zone, no NIMBY neighbors to complain, capped at 250' and everything is SO FAT!
-Volpe, could have been iconic tower, won't break 500'
-That garage on Lincoln street, proposed to be a short fat lab building in a 600'+ zone downtown!

Am I missing anything major? Even with the unprecedented boom, at the top level the disappointments outweigh the successes! That's Boston doing Boston!

A big part is that few developers in this environment are going to propose a new office tower, and the skyscraper market for residential isn't large.

This makes sense. Boston likes to consider itself a liberal bastion that is pro climate change, science..etc. Think of how many casual voters who dont know anything about the nuances of the situation here just hearing buzzwords about Janey caring about climate change and "protecting" Bostons waterfront from that future.

If she was a proponent of the project shed then be open to the cheap attacks that shes going against the science... bla bla bla. The sad part is its all a bunch of bs, but the majority of avg voters have no idea. This is a travesty from top to bottom in every way and in the end we get stuck with the shitty garage shittying up the waterfront until its eventually condemned and demolished and then we can look forward to a low rise or park in its place.
Nothing says "climate resilience" quite as well as a hulking parking garage on the waterfront full of SOVs

A big part is that few developers in this environment are going to propose a new office tower, and the skyscraper market for residential isn't large.

If there's a market anywhere in the world right now in which someone will be motivated to figure out (engineering-wise, etc) how to stack residential on top of lab, it is Boston. This would require some serious innovation spirit and risk-taking, but that's what everything's been built on at the end of the day, isn't it?

No.
Wouldn't the natural progression be that we take Harbor Towers by eminent domain, in the name of increasing public access to the waterfront and Climate Change resiliency? At least the Aquarium is a public facility. The towers and their giant super WASPy gated private pool and patio area are easily the worst part of the Harbor Walk and the biggest void in the network between Long Wharf/North End and Fort Point/Seaport. This tower would be set back from the water enough and be publicly oriented enough that it wouldn't degrade public access or the public experience. As for the Towers, there's no question they are actively doing that today. Is their only defense 'We were here first'?

You betcha! That integrity stuff is for suckers. No doubt the righteous glow of all the useful idiots virtue signaling against Pinnacle can be seen from the moon. The way she is playing them is priceless. It's not mean to laugh at UIs getting used by one of their grifting own is it 🤣?

So is the city going to pay the Chiofaro company a hefty sum for the garage so that they can put nothing there?

Are there any mayoral candidates that are pro-development? I know Wu was in favor of killing the harbor plan, too.

Are there any mayoral candidates that are pro-development? I know Wu was in favor of killing the harbor plan, too.

Aside from Barros who likely will not make it past the primary - no. Under Walsh, the city has increased its total budget by over a billion dollars and the increase in commercial revenues from these projects has been a big part of it. The hope is that once these candidates see the numbers and realize that stopping development will require them to cut city spending and/or raise property taxes, they will get on board. Here's hoping.

Does Prudential/Chiofaro, as well as Hook Lobster, have any legal recourse here? How can a 10 year process just be arbitrarily cancelled this close to the finish line?

Does Prudential/Chiofaro, as well as Hook Lobster, have any legal recourse here? How can a 10 year process just be arbitrarily cancelled this close to the finish line?

Believe me I hear ya, but how was this in any way officially a 10-year process? 9 years of chummy back channel chats with the mayor's office followed by actually submitting a design to the BPDA a year or two ago doesn't count as 10 years. The design never advanced at the BPDA and never received any approvals.

Believe me I hear ya, but how was this in any way officially a 10-year process? 9 years of chummy back channel chats with the mayor's office followed by actually submitting a design to the BPDA a year or two ago doesn't count as 10 years. The design never advanced at the BPDA and never received any approvals.

Yeah but what about the whole waterfront process? The one that Hook Lobster was also beholden to? I thought the CLF thing was supposed to be a temporary blip here, but instead somehow it's able to fully derail this plan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back