Pinnacle at Central Wharf (Harbor Garage) | 70 East India Row | Waterfront | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
considering the constraints and the economics that clearly make it a fatty, its pretty nice, I like it

1000% better than any previous proposal.

Agree completely. The time spent on drafting this proposal really is amazing. The facade, the coloring in that blends in with One Boston Place and the other background towers... its just phenomenal. After State Street HQ.. this might be the best looking building in Boston this cycle.

Yeah. It's a nice building, maybe really nice, but it's not going to give us the promised view and harbor access found in some of the earlier designs. I don't blame Chiofaro for this result -- he was put in a box that pretty much required something like this or bulkier. Definitely an improvement over the garage, but what might we have had with a better permitting process!
i think you're being a bit hard.
Don needs a 50% lot max coverage/max revenue design.
Once you add the IMAX site, you're at 50%.
I do think the plaza should be more properly green as Christopher Columbus up the way.
It will make the site appear more spacious and welcoming, imo

The old "Harbor Garage Project" website has just switched over to the Pinnacle with some preliminary information: www.pinnaclecentralwharf.com

There's an interactive slider on the website that shows the current view overlaid with the new water view. Now imagine that same view in the future without the IMAX, as per the Aquarium's Blueway master plan vision...

Stay tuned, I believe there are more renderings and videos coming. (I don't work for Chiofaro, but we're on team for branding, marketing and comms)

i'm thinking the cylindrical shape and texture is designed to work with the massing
to reduce wind to the bare minimum.

Last edited:
The old "Harbor Garage Project" website has just switched over to the Pinnacle with some preliminary information: www.pinnaclecentralwharf.com

There's an interactive slider on the website that shows the current view overlaid with the new water view. Now imagine that same view in the future without the IMAX, as per the Aquarium's Blueway master plan vision...

Stay tuned, I believe there are more renderings and videos coming. (I don't work for Chiofaro, but we're on team for branding, marketing and comms)

It's funny that they chose an angle for the slider where the view from Greenway-Harbor remains blocked. I get that the IMAX is what's blocking it and it's going away, but it doesn't exactly look like they're opening things up.

pinnacle-corner.jpg
pinnacle-current.jpg
pinnacle-early-bird.jpg
pinnacle-fountain.jpg
pinnacle-limitless.jpg
pinnacle-plaza.jpg
pinnacle-skyline-day.jpg
pinnacle-summer.jpg
pinnacle-water.jpg

From the press release:
  • Approximately 285,000 sf residential component, comprised of approximately 200 units
  • Approximately 538,000 sf office component
  • Approximately 42,000 sf of publicly accessible amenity space, including retail, restaurant and other uses

Confirmed 600 ft

Reminds me a bit of LA's library tower. Hate throwing this word around, but could truly be iconic when viewed from the harbor.

Given all the ridiculous constraints at this site (open space + no shadows on the water... THE WATER!!!) this is an absolutely fantastic proposal.

Reminds me a bit of LA's library tower. Hate throwing this word around, but could truly be iconic when viewed from the harbor.

And only from the Harbor. It will be too short to be visible from almost any other angle.

i was thinking that too. But having elements of (both) the B of A and 777 towers.
This is absolutely stunning.
And the real thing is going to look 10X better.

Last edited:
Didn't see this posted. Updated website and new URL.

Does anybody with a legal background know what the over/under odds are on the building clearing the current lawsuits?

C4B671C4-6640-4F10-9C64-9615D825897B.jpeg
197CFCB0-2252-4A0D-97F4-617A99387408.jpeg
7A4B95B0-F44A-4D4A-A1DF-670A5ED601A9.png

This, to me, is architecture at it’s best! The architects brilliantly used all the restrictions that were placed on this site to put together this spectacular building! The triangular openings/features at the base seemingly give the illusion of a double building, while at the same time drawing your eyes upward. Also reminiscent of ships sails, as well as a take on the Rowes Wharf arch! Bravo to the architects of KPF, but especially to Don Chiofaro, who stuck with his vision of what the garage site could become!

Last edited:
I believe 600 feet is the hard cap. It's probably why the crown looks so low-profile.
The hard cap is imposed by the Commonwealth. The Commonwealth dictated that whatever is built cannot cast a new shadow on Long Wharf on October 31. According to BPDA, one can get to 600 feet if that height is at the SW corner of the property, North and east of that corner, the height has to be less.

BPDA set the max gsf at 900,000, and the proposal is slightly under

The 50 percent open space is a Chapter 91 requirement.

I think it is a very attractive solution for a difficult site.

I will note that the garage is not discussed. The iteration before this one had the garage entrance ramps running east-west on Milk Street, north of the building. I assume the garage entrance is now off East India Row.

Also of note is that the hotel is dropped.

The 50 percent open space means the building footprint at the base will be about 28,700 sq ft.

I count about 45 occupied floors, making the average floorplate about 19,000 sq ft.

Last edited:
Will this be the priciest office space in the City.
Does anybody with a legal background know what the over/under odds are on the building clearing the current lawsuits?

I think it is a very attractive solution for a difficult site.

It's not a sugar fix like Accordia was (for me). i'm frankly, stunned over this design.
The cycle is seeing exponential improvements at our transit stations, iconic massing/s, heights, claddings,
vastly improved street walls, Air Rights proposals due to go u/c,
and a change overall, to a bigger, world class City.

1. Every key step keeps blowing through the circuit breakers..... This speaks volumes
as to what the final result will be.
2. This is a $1.2B project that will produce ~$13M of annual revenue for the City of Boston.
3. Jobs, Jobs, Jobs/Union construction.
4. This solves an nagging problem, harming the Greenway and Waterfront experience.
5. 'Greed is good.' this is very good.

The legal decision makers know which way the wind blows.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back