Port of Portland | Working waterfront and future developments

Screenshot 2024-02-12 at 10.29.01 AM 2.png

Some work has been done behind the MNG building, looks like the landing platform for a dock? Anyone know what that is?

That's actually pretty decent. I like the fact that it is not overdone. If the design stays intact it will be nice. Please don't start littering it with "public art installations"!

I can tell you now that this underwhelming design will never get installed for $2.5 million and we are going to end up with another half-assed attempt at beautification. Portland is a growing city and they need to start acting like it. They should have gone big or gone home and made it a world class waterfront park.

There were two ideas for this general area that were mentioned in the Jon Jennings era, and I wonder if either of them is still on the table. One was the boardwalk along Thames St., designed to be a place for artists and artisans to hawk their wares at cruise passengers. The other was what I thought was to be a new, additional cruise pier, possibly extending across from the foot of India St. Does anyone else recall those? Did COVID kill them?

I look at the design as something better than nothing and with a grain of salt.
Positives - The grass area to allow for music, but will be shot down due to the new residents in the area.
Landscaping looks good better than a parking lot right now.
Parking for food trucks is a step in the right direction, looks like only 4 spots?
Is the million dollar CBP area going to be redone that was needed for the short lived ferry. Where are the Islanders going to park? I would like to know how much was collected each year in parking revenue for that lot?
Is the public boat ramp staying? .
What about the buses needed to board passengers from the cruise ship? is that moved to the Ocean Gateway area?

I can tell you now that this underwhelming design will never get installed for $2.5 million and we are going to end up with another half-assed attempt at beautification. Portland is a growing city and they need to start acting like it. They should have gone big or gone home and made it a world class waterfront park.
From the article ... "The hope for this park is that it will be the beginning of a larger project, something like what the department was working towards before COVID hit.

“We’re thinking of this as Phase 1,” said Hipple. Phase 2, he says, would be tying Harbor Common together with Amethyst Park to create a green space that stretches clear around the eastern peninsula.

“That’s in the future, but we wanted to get something done now. We can use it and people can learn to love it, and that will give us the momentum to keep moving,” he said."

View attachment 47561
Found this in my archives Mark.
This (#8) is exactly the idea I was thinking of. The public landing shown as #19 (since named Mavodones Landing) is under construction, although I've only been by it once and I'm not sure if its in that spot or back behind the Narrow Guage office at #16.

And the residents up on the hill had no problem with these but fought like hell to delay and hopefully prevent the cold storage facility from moving forward? :)

Was this an official rendering or one you made? I am surprised that the cold storage building wasn't included.

Back