Port of Portland | Working waterfront and future developments

R.165c82b1e369123f27b1099f4f516327.jpeg

An example of what a reefer rack looks like, I had no idea. Wonder if this is a pre stage prior to the containers being moved into the cold storage facility that still has not started construction?

Finally, dirt is being moved, pile driver on site, cranes back on site.... I know they were waiting on federal grant money for the Cold Storage. Looks like the haul road is being constructed next to the tracks?

7 yachts in town today. And, I checked the cruise ship schedule for 2024 and there is a substantial increase in cruise ship bookings--especially in the months of May, June, and July. So, the word is out that it's not just the fall for a good time. I think it's primarily due to the passengers and crews giving great feedback over the years. Plus, the new cold storage facility will probably create even more ship traffic, so the port of Portland looks quite diversified and prosperous for the coming years. Where else can you see something like this in such close proximity? And, with still a small-town ferry-to-the-islands feel? Unique. I worry a bit though that it will all become too much and many will opt to go up the coast to escape it.

Untitled 800.jpg

Another banner year for Eimskip and the IMT. Over 45,000 TEU moved through the Port in the last fiscal year, The Cold Storage facility should easily give a 10-20% bump to overall TEU volume once it's up and running. Barring any major economic / supply chain disruptions, the IMT will likely pass 50,000 TEU next year.

Portland has also been largely immune to the shifts and downturns in global container shipping.

Container shipping falters at world's largest ports, but Portland bucks trend | Mainebiz.biz

I drove by last night and saw the framing (or pilings, not sure which) for the cold storage facility. I was surprised at how close to the street it will be! Thought it would be set back more.

Mark, I know you're unhappy and disappointed that you did not have a voice in the planning process. Let's try and move on with your life, stay off Commercial Street and please do not attempt to halt the construction of this project through legal methods! :)

Mark, I know you're unhappy and disappointed that you did not have a voice in the planning process. Let's try and move on with your life, stay off Commercial Street and please do not attempt to halt the construction of this project through legal methods! :)
But thankfully so many West End property owners just happen to be experts in the field of marine logistics! They know what the IMT does and does not need! 😉

But thankfully so many West End property owners just happen to be experts in the field of marine logistics! They know what the IMT does and does not need! 😉
I've already decided that Step One of the cure for gentrification in Portland is for the groundfishing industry to come back strongly enough that it would make sense to revive Pine State By-Products.

I don't think the fishing industry is coming back. I think cruise ships and super yachts and trips to Peaks with day tourists will be the norm. Portland is a fun and safe city.

In port today...

The Scenic Eclipse II is docked at the Maine State Pier. It's a "luxury cruise ship." Some of its
cruises to the northern waters go for up to $50,000 per week! At the Ocean Gateway pier is another
cruise ship, one of the largest in the world (MSC Meraviglia). And at Fore Points marina it's the largest
and most luxurious super yacht in the world (Rising Sun). So, it's the most luxurious cruise ship in the
world, then next to that that the biggest (or close to) cruise ship in the world, and then the Rising Sun super
yacht. It's several number ones in this scenario. I can see the justification for a $660 million housing build
next to it. It's all not Maine in Maine, as I like to say. You don't even see something like this in Boston
(or yet, anyway).

Scenic-Luxury-Tours.png

Disgusting.

For s city that prides itself on being ultra liberal and fights for every social cause under the sun....Portland sure doesn't seem to mind that its residents (both rich and poor) are breathing in this crap way too often.

So what is the difference up river where Irving unloads as well as the issues with Global all the time.. lol

Screenshot 2024-02-12 at 10.29.29 AM 2.png

A few Sebago Technics renderings from the PPH today showing what the new waterfront park will look like. It has ben scaled down from the original proposal due to funding limits and construction is scheduled to begin this summer.

Back