Porter Square Infill and Small Developments

Seeing this go up makes me wish they could get something built on the church/carwash lot and redevelop that annoying speedway lot. That would bridge the gap nicely to the Henderson Carriage building and create a very impressive streetwall on Mass Ave all the way from Porter Sq to the two big condo buildings north of Russell. Well... impressive for this part of Cambridge anyway.

Not the greatest photos but here is a view of the progress;

UzvSbT1.jpg

fHViF3z.jpg

3gUoQnS.jpg

I'm really annoyed that the developer of the Gourmet Market parcel tore the building down just to let the parcel sit for months on end. For fucks sake. Get your financing in order before you bring in the bulldozers...

I walked by the Porter Square Hotel tonight and was surprised to see the lights on a Dan the front desk staffed. I expected the St James project to be completed before this one opened.

They started framing out the condo building going up at the former site of Gourmet Express on Mass Ave this week. I was surprised to see wood being used on the ground floor.

The underground garage / foundation was all poured a couple of months ago, and some minimal steel structure is up on the ground floor.

This is kind of an odd hybrid of elements, the bays are the best thing. The red panels look like boarded over windows, awkward.
A hotel here is a nice amenity though and the outdoor seating for the restaurant will be nice in summer.

^^yes, so much great and a kind of not so good all in 1.

Just when I didn't think it was possible for the slowest developer in the Commonwealth to get any slower, the under construction condo building at the Gourmet Express deli site has regressed. The ground floor was fully framed out in November, and then the site sat idle with the framing exposed for the better part of three months, but this week all of that framing was taken down. Now we're back to a very minimal steel structure again...

BeeLine's post 94 above shows the ground floor partially framed--and more framing was added after his picture was taken--three months ago.

There's no explanation for this other than incompetence, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
That construction fence looks like it's been through hell.

A fair amount of wall framing has now been take down .... down??

Something is not happening correctly here.

cca

Back