Porter Square Infill and Small Developments

The new Fenway Target is directly across the street from a Star Market.
The new Central Target is 2 blocks from a Star Market.
The new Comm Ave Target is a couple blocks from a Star Market.
The forthcoming Porter Target will be across the street from a Star Market.
The Twin Cities Target is about 0.4 miles from a Star Market.
The Suffolk Downs Target is in the same complex as a Stop & Shop.
The South Bay Target is in the same complex as a Stop & Shop.

I'm noticing a theme here...

I see this Target as being more of a direct competitor to Tags than to Star Market.

That's right, and central has 4 grocery stores.

Nothing wrong with Target taking a little pressure off of the absolutely mobbed Star Market.

Everyday after work the Star Market has lines in the aisles so I really hope Target sells food.

Yay Target. This parcel has been dead as a cemetery for years but why. Yes, the back of the CVS facing this may be a blank wall but it's right across from the T station (though the street crossing there is very pedestrian unfriendly) and right on the edge of a tremendously busy shopping center.

According to the Globe, the Porter Target will include a CVS. This will be directly across the street (which is really more of a driveway) from another CVS. We'll see on that...

That must be a mistake.

It isn't. The info came from a press statement from Target.

http://cambridge.wickedlocal.com/news/20171205/its-official-target-is-coming-to-porter-square

According to the press release, at approximately 28,000 square feet, the Porter Square store will employ about 75 people and will carry goods like:

Men’s and women’s apparel and accessories

A “curated” home assortment with apartment and dorm essentials

A broad beauty assortment presented in a boutique-style setting

A grocery selection including fresh produce, grab-and-go items, snacks and meal solutions

The store will also include a CVS Pharmacy.

CVS is Target's partner pharmacy, so I guess it makes sense, though it's wasted space duplicating the CVS literally a stone's throw across the street.

Porter+Square+Rendering1.jpg

CVS is Target's partner pharmacy, so I guess it makes sense, though it's wasted space duplicating the CVS literally a stone's throw across the street.

Given all the ink that's being spilled on CVS turning its stores into health clinics and getting out of the grocery business (after purchasing Aetna), we may be glad for Target in a couple of years.

Should be a good 10 stories of housing op top of that!

Yeah, the Galleria really should have just been torn down and another (smaller) Boylston West/Van Ness should have been built in its place with a Target in the podium.

Last edited:
The Cambridge BZA is having a hearing tonight (7 pm at 806 Mass Ave in Central Square) on the 1791 Mass Ave project.

It's a great project: 40 units of 100% "affordable" (30% - 60% AMI) housing in heart of Porter Square with three handicap parking spaces. Units will be 1/3 1-bed, 1/3 2-bed, and 1/3 3-bed, located in a new 4-5 story building built between three existing 19th century homes (one on Mass Ave and two behind). The Mass Ave home has been vacant since 2010, and is currently in disrepair and surrounded by cracked asphalt. That building we be shifted forward to Mass Ave to better align with its neighbors, fully restored to its historic glory, and re-landscaped (greenery and pavers to replace asphalt). The 40-unit building will sit directly behind it.

Plans and Renders

I'll be there voicing my support; I encourage you all to as well!

Current:
02-Before-768x526.jpg

Proposed:
Frost-Terrace-Rendering-01052018-768x447.jpg

That building we be shifted forward to Mass Ave to better align with its neighbors, fully restored to its historic glory, and re-landscaped (greenery and pavers to replace asphalt). The 40-unit building will sit directly behind it.

Apparently developers really love rearranging the current buildings in Porter. Remember that church on the left was originally on the plot of the building that is showing on the far left side of the pictures. I never really understood why they went through all the trouble to shift it instead of just building the new building on the plot where the church sits today.

Apparently developers really love rearranging the current buildings in Porter. Remember that church on the left was originally on the plot of the building that is showing on the far left side of the pictures. I never really understood why they went through all the trouble to shift it instead of just building the new building on the plot where the church sits today.

But muh architectural significance

Couldn't they have just made their plan a mirror image of what was built and then not move the church?
There was a rendering of that configuration so it was considered but they had their reasons for not doing it that way. The church was on a raised slope and set back further than it is now, maybe that was the reason?

"‘Frost Terrace’ affordable housing OK’d, will bring 40 units to Porter Square area": Cambridge Day

011518i-Frost-Terrace-final-rendering-b.jpg

Frost Terrace sought 18 exemptions from Cambridge zoning: multifamily dwelling in the Residence B zone where it would normally be prohibited; reduced setbacks between the project’s multiple buildings; reduced open space; a fivefold increase in density, with a floor-area ratio of 1.8 instead of 0.38; a maximum height of 55 feet instead of the required 35 feet; multiple structures instead of a single one; an exemption from required parking; and a second curb cut.

Back