Portland Bayside

This project will sail through the approval process with only 1 or 2 councilors voting against it. Granted, there will be an annoying public hearing portion this evening led by Munro and his NIMBY followers. Will be watching the local FOX news at 10 PM for the latest tonight. Good luck my Midtown brothers and go Portland!

Wow, no vote tonight due to all the public comment. Vote will be next week. Some fruit loop chick on the news asking why they even have height limits if they're not going to enforce them. Go ride your fixed gear bicycle off the bridge you loon

Wow, no vote tonight due to all the public comment. Vote will be next week. Some fruit loop chick on the news asking why they even have height limits if they're not going to enforce them. Go ride your fixed gear bicycle off the bridge you loon

LOL.......get use to it. Portland = Lil San Fran.

People underestimate the Portland NIMBY. The Portland NIMBY is a loud, vengeful beast that shows a true lack of logic or reason. The Portland NIMBY is usually retired or living off of a trust fund, thus providing ample free time to develop fears over just about anything. Over time, those fears grow to be more irrational and ever encompassing of their time and mental state. If left unchecked, the Portland NIMBY develops arrogance and at the same time signs of narcissistic personality disorder. These two characteristics in combination with an everything-fearing irrational mental state leads the Portland NIMBY to lash out, sometimes in packs. Be careful not to try to rationalize with the Portland NIMBY, as rational thoughts and logic are seen as threats, causing the Portland NIMBY to increase the usage of hyperbole. Overall, the Portland NIMBY is a nuisance, but to date trapping efforts have failed to eradicate the population from the city limits.

This line from today's Press Herald had me laughing:

"Other opponents, like Ashley Sallisbury of the West End, said midtown is too much, too fast."

Ten years is too fast? Seriously?

Per the Bangor Daily News article (which is more in depth than the Press Herald article) the vote won't take place until the boards next meeting on January 14. Also, the Press Herald said the vote won't take place until next month.
Federated must be getting very frustrated with this never ending process. If this project is voted down I don't see any developer having interest in making another proposal to the City for the Bayside property.
I got a kick out of the last comment in the Press Herald article that Midtown is too much, too fast. "It's a Walmart solution for what is a mom-and-pop-town". WTF!!

Last edited:
Keep Portland Affordable
Move Portland Forward
Keep Portland Moving
Portland Residents Against Sprawl
Portland Residents Against Vacant Land
Kiss My Butt NIMBYs

That's the best I can come up with on short notice

Tag line

The voice of the silent majority

Then we need a mission statement. Then we can post articles and get likes. Then sell tshirts for 25 dollars!

It's really sad to see somebody wanting to invest big time into this depressed area and getting nothing but grief. I just can't understand how people think that midtown is somehow going to be worse for the neighborhood than the garbage that is there now. The positive economic ripple effects of having a nice development in the space instead of empty lots and a recycle bin staging area can't be ignored.

I really don't get this complaint about "superblocks" and pedestrians. Have these people ever walked down a street in downtown Boston... or even Congress St? This argument is total nonsense.

Portland Residents Against Wasted Land... PRAWL!

I think the Press Herald is on the pro-development side; loved the shot of "here's where Phase 1 will go," emphasizing the trash-strewn lot.

Is there any chance this wont get passed?

It will probably pass, but these people will try to delay it as long as possible by whatever means they deem necessary to try to force the developer to pull out. It's a method that has worked before in Portland (e.g. Lincoln Square was delayed long enough by NIMBYs that the economy eventually fell into recession, dooming the project; same with the Waterview and the Maine State Pier development).

These NIMBYs are delusional and think they're in the clear majority (I think they see themselves as the "saviors of Portland"), and the fact that they were the louder voice at the meeting and eventually forced the delay in the vote only worked to confirm that delusion in their minds. Hopefully this webpage and the number of likes it gets quickly will help to prove to them that they are not in the majority. Someone needs to create a petition as well. They keep pointing to their petition with 335 signatures, saying it’s a large enough sample.

Proving to them that they are not the majority might not stop them, but it will certainly take the wind out of their sails. The leaders of this group (Peter Monro and Tim Paradis) have proven to be nothing more than stubborn and ignorant. Apparently Federated has offered to meet with them on numerous occasions, and to date they have refused. They’ve already made up their minds that they’ll hate this project no matter what.

Last edited:
I just threw a news article from the Tall is Good thread on facebook. Not only do my girlfriend and I want to move to Portland within five years or so, but my friend who I plan to start a business with want's to as well. We are all watching this project veryyy closely as we think the success (or failure) of it will speak volumes as to whether it's a city we will move to or not. We all love Maine, and in particular Portland, but as someone in the design profession (really historic preservation, but I digress) it needs to be friendly to development.

Good luck with this guys, keep fighting the good fight

Ok, so I went to create a petition on change.org and got most of the way through the process (holy hell that website is slow), but then I thought that it might be better if an actual Portland resident creates it instead of me (since I live in Westbrook now). That way they can be presented at the meeting on January 13th and will have more weight than if the petition was created by a non-resident.

Anyone else want to take a swing at creating a petition? If not, then I'm more than willing to go back and and create one.

Not sure if that would be too much with the other Facebook page starting up. Good idea though

It amazes me that Portland is allowing this to get dragged through the mud. Investors are observing this closely and probably don't like what they see. It's a shame too because there's currently a lot of outside interest in Portland. Doesn't look good for the city.

I realize Lewiston, SoPo, and Biddeford aren't Portland, but they're aggressively pursuing investment in their cities and I wouldn't be surprised if some developers decide to look elsewhere after seeing the Bayside mess.

Back