Portland Bayside

They gave into those moron's to much.even those moron's plan had two buildings eleven stories and one ten stories .I would rather see nothing built then give into those meatheads

Good grief......horrible. More walls of low rise student-style housing. The City of Portland really dropped the ball on this one.

They gave into those moron's to much.even those moron's plan had two buildings eleven stories and one ten stories .I would rather see nothing built then give into those meatheads
Very, very disappointing. I agree they should stagger the heights of the buildings and should have required one of the buildings to be at least 12 stories. Hard to believe that pack of idiots would be able to have the power to alter the original city approved plan by that much. Hopefully, the planning board will take a look at this latest drawing and require some diversity in the heights of the buildings.

If they're going to go all low-rise on this thing, then they should just go with all red brick while they're at it. Heck, maybe even add cobblestone streets and make Joe Soley the landlord. Why have any diversity at all in the building stock in this town?

I'll have a hard time not spitting on Peter Monro, Tim Paradis or Dennis Bailey if I ever see them in passing. A$$holes....

It's pretty sad when the parking garage appears to be the tallest building in the project. How does that make sense? This reminds me of the parking garage in the Old Port (which dominates surrounding buildings) and the other one in the eastern waterfront area (with proposals around it which are lower in height).

Been a while since we had any news on the Midtown project...

Developers agree to shrink major downtown Portland project to end legal challenge

10062701_H13836143-600x336.jpg
The buildings on each end should be at least 10 to 12 stories high. I still can't believe this is what they are settling for. It looks similar to most of the buildings that have gone up in Portland the past 2 years and are going up now.
It looks like the days of hoping for a 20 story signature building in Portland are over.

^ I am in total agreement with you and if you read my earlier post I would have staggered the heights of all of the buildings. Now that some time has passed I am not as disappointed as I originally was. After talking to some fellow Portland enthusiasts I am now looking at the project in a different light. Though it does not meet my height desires, I am embracing the fact that it will improve a neglected and desolate portion of Bayside and the influx of 440-600 new residents will only help the continued growth of downtown Portland in the long run. I think I am more annoyed with the Westin Event Center not getting approved for Congress Square, this project at least looks like it will actually happen and not in phases as originally planned.

Lewiston, Bangor, Portsmouth, Burlington or even Manchester would love to have a residential/retail project of this magnitude build in their downtown areas. If it was an individual office tower proposal in the center of the city that got short changed through the NIMBY process I would be much more upset. As far as the 20 story signature building, maybe someday on Congress Street to the east of City Hall where it belongs and will also meet current height limits. In the meantime, I just add the number of total floors of Canal Plaza's buildings which gets me to 20 and it makes me feel a little better. Or I add One and Two Monument Square together and I . . . . . . . . you get the point!

Good read. I too am not thrilled with the latest proposal. I would have been satisfied if the developers used a lot more diversity in the size and the make-up of the buildings (like 8, 5, 7, 6 stories, less boxy). This will be another neighborhood in Portland where the parking garage dominates.

Yup, this is clearly heading down the road of never happening. There's no way Federated is going to want to go through this process again.

Peter Monro and Tim Paradis should be declared "persona non grata" in this town. These two a$$holes have probably single-handedly ruined the prospects for any large development to ever be proposed by anyone for at least another 20 years. I don't hate a lot of people, but I downright loathe those two clowns.

Those two are domestic terrorists and I mean that. I would spit in his face

This deal is dead

Another good project heading to the already crowded highrise development graveyard? RIP Lincoln Center (all proposals), Waterview, Graves Hill (original), Westin Hotel, etc...

A really sad state of affairs right now in Portland.......1 year ago it looked like Bayside and Thompson's Point would have game changing developments........now it looks like the highlight will be a circus school. Very appropriate considering what has transpired.

Liberal cities like Portland always end up with problems because they try to please everyone instead of doing what is right for the city. While cities like Boston, NYC, and SF can overcome this......a small city like Portland with limited development opportunities and investment capital can really be damaged for decades. Sad.

With a new Hyatt, Marriott, Maine Wharf project, renovated Westin, Press Hotel, Cross Arena, along with numerous condo and apartment complexes under construction all in the past year. I think Portland is still holding it's own and not ready for doom and gloom just yet. Name a city in the northeast corridor that is not liberal?

Actually agree with your assessment concerning Thompson's Point. I was skeptical on the project's viability from the beginning and if it was a downtown development it might be a little more painful. As far as Bayside goes, it is not dead yet. This project would have been a better fit for the Top of the Old Port property where the original height desires could have been accommodated and it would have been a excellent anchor for that end of Congress Street.

Was nice to see that the liberal Press Herald actually sided with the developer on Midtown and slammed the Keep Portland Livable naysayers. We normally have to count on your daily paper for support : )

Does "Keep Portland Livable" actually have a case against Federated's original plans? I don't get why they backed down instead of fighting the suit. I think the thoughts of Peter Monro, et al should be heard at a planning meeting like everybody else's, but I don't understand how they have now apparently earned veto rights regarding any development in the city.

I agree with the Press Herald editorial board that the scaled down version is very disappointing. It looks like they're just going to copy and paste a couple of Bayside Village buildings over to Somerset St with a huge parking structure in the middle of it.

Looks like we are getting a new suburban strip mall (including a Dunkin Donuts and Chipotle) on Marginal Way where the Century Tire business was located. Here's the CBRE promotional PDF for "Century Plaza."

Back