Portland Bayside

I agree and maybe you can title it "Port Properties Bayside Development | Portland" which should check all of the boxes seeing that there will be numerous addresses throughout the process.

MDP workshop coming up for this on the 14th - looking forward to hearing more details. Anyone else feel like this whole development should be a separate thread? They're referring to it as 196 Lancaster St in the PB agenda.
Personally, I would say we should leave the discussion of the overall Master Plan in this thread and create project-specific threads as needed,

It looks like more of the Master Development plan has been added to the CSS Portal. There are two new renderings / illustrations of the overall plan that I haven't seen to date

1678294452177.png

1678294506078.png

The one that gets me the most is:
"The demolition of Bayside’s surviving historic buildings"

What historic buildings? you mean the half-derelict warehouse and industrial buildings from the 1930s and 40s surrounded by surface parking lots? There's NOTHING historic about any of those buildings.
It's a great example of how NIMBYs weaponize "Historic preservation" to block any kind of growth or change.

This project should be fast-tracked with help from the city, not more red tape. According to a story in the PPH last week, an average of 80 new people come to Portland every week (immigrants). That's 4,160 per year, and so 41,160 in ten years. Portland's population from 2000 to 2020 went up by what, 5,000 people? Add transplants from around the country, and so maybe add-in another 5-10% to this growth. So, in eight years we hit 100,000?

This project should be fast-tracked with help from the city, not more red tape. According to a story in the PPH last week, an average of 80 new people come to Portland every week (immigrants). That's 4,160 per year, and so 41,160 in ten years. Portland's population from 2000 to 2020 went up by what, 5,000 people? Add transplants from around the country, and so maybe add-in another 5-10% to this growth. So, in eight years we hit 100,000?

that influx in completely unsustainable now. It’s been beyond the breaking point for awhile and will taper off .

Interesting link in the PPH story about the new homeless services shelter opening -- apparently Tom Watson's group is proposing to demolish the Oxford Street Shelter and use it for staging during their development of these other properties. They mention potential future redevelopment of the site for affordable housing...

TIL Portland had many urban renewal projects that are still remembered today, especially Bayside. Similar to Boston, many "slum areas" that were targeted were also the immigrant neighborhoods and Bayside seems to be that scar that will never let Portland forget; similar to Boston's West End. I went down this rabbit hole when reading headlines about the Bayside Development Group "opening old wounds" or "old memories" I will need to read into it more but it seems in addition to housing renewal, it appears the automobile itself had a tremendous effect on street widenings like Spring Street, Franklin Street extension and the Union Station area that lead to losing landmark buildings basically to make parking lots.
Spring Street
SpringStreet_1972_web.png

Greetings. Long time reader, first post. I've enjoyed seeing the new projects and progress take shape through visits back home and posted photos, but am also curious on the city's plan for the tents and homelessness. I'm not sure the extent of various encampments around the city as the weather warms, but I've seen how it grows out west here in LA, Phoenix, Portland OR, and Seattle. Not all want to be in shelters and I worry with the city's ongoing search for a new city manager and the various unfilled positions within the city government the issue could grow. I'd hate to see Portland be negatively impacted with visitors or residents deciding to stay away as Portland, OR has lost population for the first time in decades.

Any ideas on how to address this with realistic results? Apparently, it's up to 50 tents now. (And Bayside has been on a good roll of late.) When I visited Basel, Switzerland last summer, my friend there told me all the members of their city council had PhD degrees in appropriate disciplines to run the city (the city is a de facto utopia, in my opinion). I think we must have smarter and more appropriately degreed people to work in Portland's government. There are simply too many serious problems to deal with in today's age. Or perhaps create a panel with some actual powers for this issue comprised of our top architects and urban planners. And yes, I don't want to see Portland, Maine make the Daily Mail like Portland, Oregon does every other day with its homeless encampments, drug use, and crime in the middle of the city. But it's looking that way.

Untitled 686.jpg

Last edited:
To me, the question is how many of the people in those encampments would even be willing to go into the new shelter if it were larger, and how many would still refuse because they don't want to live within the shelter's rules (i.e., get rid of their prohibited materials).

Back