Portland Foreside | 58 Fore Street | Portland

I've been wondering - do we think the developers have been in talks with the Narrow Gauge folks? I can't imagine they build some fancy ass condos and then have to look over piles of rotting ties, rusty unused rails, a bin of coal literally falling apart, shed(s), other misc bits? Or maybe they do??

I'm not sure what MNGRR has for a plan now that the move to Gray has fallen through.

They're staying put on the Eastern Waterfront. They're planning to build a new mini-station and have done a bit of track work.

Personally, I think the MNGRR shouldn't be on the Eastern Waterfront. It's a big obstacle and doesn't fit with overall vision for the area.

Their RoW could easily be used to create a dedicated two-way bike lane separate from the Eastern Prom trail. or potentially even a BRT transit corridor.

At the VERY least, they should move their fueling, maintenance and equipment storage facilities over to the far end of the Eastern Prom close to the water treatment plant.

They did just do some work to the 'destination' end, near the treatment plant. Looks like someone recently knocked a number of their cement bollards over, not sure if there was other damage. I bet the remoteness is one thing keeping them from putting too much down at that end.

I did a small amount of looking, and it looks like they've moved the museum collection to the WW&F in Alna. But I don't know where the operating train program could go; the move to Gray had the advantage of a land donation, but it fell through on environmental concerns (also, locating out there would have been a serious money loser).

Block 5 rendering dump in this week's PB packet - including a good angle of where blocks 4, 5, and 6 stand:

asdjhfgalskjdhf.jpg

asdlkjfhalskjdhf.jpg

asdflkjahsdlkjfh.jpg

asdfloiuahysdlkfjha.jpg

asdfloughalsjdhgf.jpg

asdlkfjhgas;djkhf.jpg

First thought that comes to mind is Blue back sq. In West Hartford on Steroids. Although happy so far not to hear of any chain stores and restaurants going in. These buildings are extremly blah- 1970 blah too.

This project and its "developers" are crossing over into buffoonery. The process in building design is walk the site, ideas, rough sketches, and then many more iterations. This design firm is simply taking things off the shelf and saying "What about this?" and the "developers" post it thinking this is the one. I'll bet this firm hasn't even walked the area. They've looked at it from Google Earth. If this project becomes too modern, and it alienates the public with little access, and we have another recession (I mean, when we have the next recession), the area will become a monument to "Why was this built?" D+

What did Michael Liberty call the very similar (albeit taller) project that he didn't get to build?

I know the original plans had a shopping / dining component, but other than Twelve I haven't heard anything more. Chains wouldn't bother me, particularly if they're new-to-the-area ones, if they do produce an effective food court for Wex lunch breaks (nothing against Navis Cafe).

Image 11-17-22 at 5.56 PM.jpg

Slum clearance showing the Portland Company property in the late 60's. Portland was mired in a long period of decay and was a city that tourists avoided as they headed to the ocean, lakes, mountains and LL Bean. Downtown had only one respectable hotel (Eastland) and only a handful of decent restaurants (Boone's, The Roma, Sportsman's Grill, Village Cafe) at the time. Sometimes you have to understand where you've been to appreciate what you have.

Last edited:
What did Michael Liberty call the very similar (albeit taller) project that he didn't get to build?

I know the original plans had a shopping / dining component, but other than Twelve I haven't heard anything more. Chains wouldn't bother me, particularly if they're new-to-the-area ones, if they do produce an effective food court for Wex lunch breaks (nothing against Navis Cafe).
Looks like there are two retail units, a cafe, and a "destination restaurant" on the first floor of Block 5.

Looks like there are two retail units, a cafe, and a "destination restaurant" on the first floor of Block 5.
Thanks! I'll be happier when those are built and not empty storefronts (like, say, the retail spaces in the Sun Life building).

I'm betting that newly compiled data of what people are willing to pay for single family homes, condos and apartments in Portland, along with its proximity to Boston (easy train ride for the work-at-home types) is making it easier for the developers to raise money. I don't see any real risk with building anything too ambitious on this piece of the waterfront. Portland is one of the most ideal places in the country to be during the summer now, or now that air and water temperatures are stratospheric.

If this project comes to fruition in this iteration including the roof gardens I think it could be a pretty cool concept. The chances of that happening though are likely ZERO. I'd also like to see a little more height to these buildings but of course the NIMBY's would have a field day with that.

Back