Portland International Jetport | PWM

Of the 5 proposals I think this was the best option and provides mainline service and will give Presque Isle only one less JetBlue flight a day than Portland!
And has more B6 service than PWM from November through May....

The summer season starting to ramp up with 44 flights today and 25 being mainline. American leading the way with 8 ML aircraft to Charlotte, Washington DC and Philadelphia.

American leading the way with 8 ML aircraft to Charlotte, Washington DC and Philadelphia.

All the more reason to get that small westward expansion of the terminal fast-tracked. That end gets overcrowded to begin with. If American is stacking any of flights, It has to be overbearing.

All the more reason to get that small westward expansion of the terminal fast-tracked. That end gets overcrowded to begin with. If American is stacking any of flights, It has to be overbearing.
Didn't they have a ceremonial groundbreaking? Is there any actual construction work going on there yet?

Didn't they have a ceremonial groundbreaking? Is there any actual construction work going on there yet?
It is still in the design phase with the construction start still a ways off. Good news is that the funding is in place and once the taxiway project is completed this fall it will hopefully be the next priority.

49 departures today… so close to 50! Looking like another record year is in store

And Saturdays are traditionally the slowest day of the week when it comes to the number of flights at most airports.

And Saturdays are traditionally the slowest day of the week when it comes to the number of flights at most airports.
The Jetport is often the first impression of the city for new visitors, and like they say, "You never get a second chance to make a first impression." I still think going down the escalator is somewhat of a bore at the Jetport, or anticlimactic to the Portland Harbor approach visuals that the pilots all rave about. I have a friend who does large murals on walls, tarmacs, or ceilings (Google Earth... "East 34th Street Heliport NY"). Perhaps the Portland Chamber of Commerce has a potential source for a budget, and I can get him to do something for half his rate and put twice the heart into it (I've done a lot for him). One type of mural he does uses UV light illumination. Imagine going down the escalator with a nightscape skyline mural lit in this fashion. It seems like most airports now try to "wow" the visitor arrivals or remind those that return how great the city is or can be. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

JB37.jpg
JB19.jpg
JB35.jpg
291823033_472414334851697_8243598660180139183_n.jpg

Last edited:
Is the space above baggage claim being used? Which I am surprised all these years it was never utilized for gate space, I know that it was a restaurant, offices, and lots of storage space, you could had a walkway between the existing terminal
1000002898.jpg

You are correct. It used to be a restaurant, is now being used for storage and maintenance and will eventually become the location for PWM's administration offices once the TSA takes over the current admin area. A lot of moving parts which will eventually give the airport the needed space to accommodate an FIS facility and a potential first class lounge when all is said and done. 🤞 As far as your gate space question, there have been discussions in the past about extending the Gate 1 A/B waiting area over the tarmac section which is visible in the "gap" just above Gate 2 in the below rendering. This idea would be similar to the modest expansion at the west end of the terminal to better accommodate passengers during the morning push and other busy periods. It is low on the priority list at last check because of the lighter passenger numbers at the east end due to the use of regional jets at 1 A/B.

Screenshot 2024-06-10 at 7.36.18 AM 2.png

Last edited:
That part of the terminal can get very crowded during the morning rush when United and Southwest are both boarding 737-8's at the same time. Are gates 1A/B capable of handling anything larger than an E-jet? I seem to recall United bring A319/20's to those gates in the summer months.

The parking spots on the ramp can accommodate mainline aircraft and I've seen them using that area but I think stairs are required for boarding due to the extended passenger badge being at ground level at the very end?

Last edited:
One "small but mighty" thing the Jetport really needs to improve is their social media presence!! Going through all their social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) they go weeks and sometimes months without posting anything! Other airports like MHT, BTV and BOS post regularly and promote themselves and their airline partners.

Last edited:
Sitting in the plane watch area next to MAC, it's hard not to pick out the non-functionality issues of the Jetport. I know that it was built in the 60s/70s with add Ons in the 80s/90s. Departing Passengers check in on the western end of the terminal / bags, counter/TSA with a connection via skybridge to the garage. Bags go thru the inline system then get disbursed according to carrier and flight. Corrupt NEA fuels the planes which MAC has never gone after the fuel contract? Jet A gets trucked from SOPO terminal, I remember when NEA employees used to siphon Jet A to use in their cars, they go caught, as did stealing baggage when NEA used to have the monopoly on ground service.
Now on the arrival side, bags unloaded from the plane then driven 10 miles (if you fly AA) to the other end of the terminal to a drive thru bag drop off just like in the Bahamas. The flat baggage carousels never work and keep jamming up. We used to have the old carousels that the bags would go up a feeder than drop on the carousel, but someone made the dumb decision to replace them with these. It's an embarrassment.... The whole baggage area is a joke...
A. Is it time to think about dividing the baggage claim into 2 areas? When planning for a new terminal expansion west? or East aka AA, Delta, B6 have its own baggage area
B. Is ATC ever going to move to a new location or stay for another 100 years and hold up prime real estate? Same goes for the good ole boys club aka the AARF, move to a central location or near FedEx, so it's still PFD
C. Plan for an East expansion, encourage freight on SWA, AA, United. There is a freight loading dock near 1A,1B, why doesn't anyone use it?
D. Expand Garage over cell phone/lot in front on baggage claim. or Hotel.

PWMFlyer, some of your ideas and questions are excellent and you should take the time and send an email to Paul Bradbury. He is very receptive to needs of the travelers who use PWM and welcomes ways to make the airport better in all aspects. Keep in mind that improvements require funding and until there is an increase in the PFC fees that have not changed since 2001, there is only so much money to go around.

Now on the arrival side, bags unloaded from the plane then driven 10 miles (if you fly AA) to the other end of the terminal to a drive thru bag drop off just like in the Bahamas. The flat baggage carousels never work and keep jamming up. We used to have the old carousels that the bags would go up a feeder than drop on the carousel, but someone made the dumb decision to replace them with these. It's an embarrassment.... The whole baggage area is a joke...

Flying home from Florida on NYE 2019. We got in late, and there was maybe one person handling baggage. He ended up driving the cart into a snow bank outside of the drive-thru and got stuck. He had to come out to ask if anyone had TSA clearance and a badge to go out back and help move the bags (of course nobody did). We waited 1.5+ hours to collect our bags. 🤦‍♂️😂

Pretty positive baggage claim is next on the list for revamps. I’ve heard they’re adding a carousel and redoing all of the other ones to be that newer, angled belt that looks and functions a lot better.

From what I can see in the master plan, there is no mention of a new control tower. There is long-term provision for an easterly expansion of the terminal, and I am guessing that would happen around the tower, or else the tower would be incorporated into any new building? I am sure there are not even preliminary designs yet.

Regarding the ARFF, I believe they also cover all of Stroudwater, not just the Jetport; the next closest PFD station is at Brighton and Stevens. Although, looking at the map, I wonder if being over by FedEx wouldn't be beneficial for response times off-property, given that Yellowbird Road feeds directly to the circle at the end of Westbrook St. (and PFD would have access to the gate), meaning trucks on a call wouldn't have to navigate the twisty roads around car rental.

Food trucks in the planespotting lot would presumably be SoPo's call. :)

funny thing about the AARF, I have friends who are on the PFD and the Jetport is the cushiest job in the dept. If there is a call from the terminal for medical or fire issue, Stevens ave or Bramhall stations are to respond. They cannot leave the AARF station due to a plane emergency. They drive the vehicles around the perimeter road once a day to keep the vehicles in top shape.
To the Tower!!!, I heard from a friend who is ATC and if the building is moved, they lose their sector to Boston.

Back