Portland International Jetport | PWM

Agree TC, but it will provide shelter from the elements and beats walking outside to the aircraft and climbing stairs. (y)
Well, of course. I remember back before the new addition, the terminal had double doors that opened up from side to side and no vestibule! I remember one time it must have been no more than 10 degrees outside, and someone with a lot of bags stopped in the middle of the open doors and futzed around for at least a minute. I swear the terminal temp went down by at least 20 degrees. That was back when Mainers were more hardened, I guess.

Last edited:
It took me a minute... that one with the girl (ghost?) with the pink suitcase mustbe the view coming in from Gate 11, with the new addition on the left.

Having arrived at one of the current outside gates on a very cold night this past April, and standing around on the tarmac (dressed for Florida) waiting for them to bring up our son's wheelchair, I'll take actual jetways and a walkway any day!

Are those Rubb buildings maintenance, etc. areas? I assume all the waiting, etc. will be in the main building.

They are for maintenance and storage purposes and departing passengers will remain in the climate controlled terminal until boarding. The gal with the pink suitcase just spent the weekend with me and is leaving Portland as quickly as possible. She is actually walking in the "circulation" portion of the expansion just past Linda Bean's Lobster restaurant and the new gates (distant left) are being blocked by the large support column.

American will retain use of Gate 11. Gates 12 and 14 will start as common use but may be assigned if one of the non-signatory carriers choose to be signatory.

Last edited:
So my understanding of gate ownership post-renovation is

Gate 1 A/B -United
Gate 2 - United
Gate 3 - United
Gate 4 - Southwest
Gate 5 - Common
Gate 6 - Common
Gate 7 - Delta
Gate 8 - Delta
Gate 9 - American
Gate 10 - American
Gate 11 - American
Gate 12 - Common
Gate 14 - Common

Would not be surprised to see Breeze step up and become signatory later this year and select Gate 6 once the new jetway is installed. Maybe Southwest will add more year round destinations (MDW, BNA and somewhere in Florida) and secure Gate 5 to have two side by side options. The two new gates will at least give Portland the ability to lure a new airline in the future.

Has B6 given its notice to not become the signatory carrier at 6? They are done for the season at the end of Oct

Would not be surprised to see Breeze step up and become signatory later this year and select Gate 6 once the new jetway is installed. Maybe Southwest will add more year round destinations (MDW, BNA and somewhere in Florida) and secure Gate 5 to have two side by side options. The two new gates will at least give Portland the ability to lure a new airline in the future.
I think the only thing stopping WN from expanding are their overall fleet issues and delays with the 737-MAX-7. WN is short on planes right now and the MAX-7 has been desperately needed to replace older 737-700's. So until they start getting new metal they won't be in a growth phase.

There have been rumors floating around that if the MAX-7 continues to be delayed, Southwest may try to acquire JetBlue or Breeze to get access to their orderbook of A220's. It's a bit of an open secret that Southwest is looking to get married. Recently their pilots union hired lawyers to prepare for any future acquisition WN makes.

Last edited:
Is Delta still considered the flagship or primary airline at the Jetport? Or is that even a meaningful or sensible question to ask? I know they historically had some sort of status, perhaps informal, stemming from their purchase of Northeast somewhere in the far away and long ago. (I ask because their only having 2 gates when UA and AA each have 3, even if 1A/B and 11 suck.

Screenshot 2024-07-01 at 1.39.40 PM 2.png

From Wikipedia. A little misleading because Republic Airways provides regional service to PWM as Delta Connection, American Eagle and United Express. However, American Airlines has been and continues to be the busiest airline out of Portland unless Cosakita has a different take on Mark's question.

My understanding was that pre-merger US Airways was considered the "flagship" carrier at PWM (If there really is such a thing at a regional airport) and that AA inherited that status.

Delta doesn't need more than 2 gates. 2 Flights a day to ATL on a 321, DTW 3 flights, MSP only seasonal, 4 to LGA, and 2 to JFK. Let's get some other destinations and maybe they might need 3.
SLC would be great add. AA needs to get MIA on a regular basis as well as adding PHX seasonal, DFW year round.
Breeze just got approval ISO, which could help PWM land international after FIS gets built.

Delta doesn't need more than 2 gates. 2 Flights a day to ATL on a 321, DTW 3 flights, MSP only seasonal, 4 to LGA, and 2 to JFK. Let's get some other destinations and maybe they might need 3.
SLC would be great add. AA needs to get MIA on a regular basis as well as adding PHX seasonal, DFW year round.
Breeze just got approval ISO, which could help PWM land international after FIS gets built.
My last time flying out of PWM in late April Delta was occupying gates 5-8 during the early morning departure bank. ATL, DTW, JFK and LGA all had overnights / early AM departures.

Back