Portland International Jetport | PWM

Screenshot 2024-07-04 at 8.35.22 AM 2.png

Bangor is holding its own at #155 which is impressive for a city of only 32,000 while competing with cities that are much larger. Location, location. location! A side note, New Haven (HVN) jumped up to #135 with a 39% increase in passengers thanks to being chosen by Avelo Airlines as one of their hubs.

I am most impressed by our beating Little Rock. They're similar to us in that they're the primary airport in the state, but it's a larger metro and a larger state. Also, it's amazing how MHT has collapsed since they stopped being Southwest's gateway to Boston.

View attachment 52329
Final enplanement numbers for CY23 have been released by the FAA and I've added a few screenshots for those of us who find this stuff interesting. PWM continued to remain in the top 100 busiest airports and is actually #93 when counting the airports in the 48 contiguous states which also excludes Guam and Puerto Rico. Fort Myers and Myrtle Beach were the only airports in the top 100 to show a decrease in passengers from the previous year. BOS came in at #16, BDL #56 and PVD at #79.
You just missed #93 which is my hometown airport BZN Bozeman-Yellowstone at 1.23M emplanements. 20% the population of the Portland area but a hugely popular tourist area due to its proximity to Yellowstone and ski resorts. BZN has been under constant construction for 15 years and is currently expanding from 12 to 15 gates with plans for 20.

I agree Mark. Also busier than Madison, WI, Wichita, KS, Lexington, KY, Greensboro, NC, Eugene, OR and Huntsville, AL is pretty impressive!

You just missed #93 which is my hometown airport BZN Bozeman-Yellowstone at 1.23M emplanements. 20% the population of the Portland area but a hugely popular tourist area due to its proximity to Yellowstone and ski resorts. BZN has been under constant construction for 15 years and is currently expanding from 12 to 15 gates with plans for 20.
Bozeman, Wilmington NC, Huntsville AL, New Haven CT, Jackson Hole WY and Asheville NC are six small airports that are experiencing tremendous growth in passenger counts. The folks in Billings (Montana's largest city) must be beside themselves wondering how Bozeman and Missoula surpassed them in enplanements during the past decade!

Last edited:
Bozeman, Wilmington NC, Huntsville AL, New Haven CT, Jackson Hole WY and Asheville NC are six small airports that are experiencing tremendous growth in passenger counts. The folks in Billings (Montana's largest city) must be beside themselves wondering how Bozeman and Missoula surpassed them in enplanements during the past decade!
There is no wondering. I lived in Billings for 10 years. For tourists, Bozeman and Missoula are closer to the areas that tourists want to visit. Billings is the primary hub for agriculture, energy and healthcare care for the four state area around it. (MT, WY, ND, SD) Billings just completed their own terminal expansion.

Back