Portland International Jetport | PWM

These mainline aircraft are all filling up and selling out. Next year we may see both more frequency and more mainline! Last summer it was more regional jets and more frequency, I’m looking at this like a test to see if they could fill a few mainline a day and PWM will pass the test. Next year I’d guess upwards of 38 mainline per day!

Portland is one of the fastest growing cities on the East Coast and Maine is being discovered and revisited by more people every year….PWM will only get busier from here on out…hopefully they are planning for the future now!

Totally agree and the only other airline I'd prefer not to see in Portland is Allegiant.

Allegiant will (thankfully) probably never fly to PWM. Serving the Jetport would just canibalize their operations at BGR and PSM

But speaking of Allegiant, I'm always baffled at how well they do at BGR. It's actually one of their top performing stations in the country by load factor!

[EXPERIMENTAL] Allegiant (G4) Q3 2022 Stage Length Adjusted Yields and PRASM by Route and Station - Google Sheets

A big part of that is thanks to travelers from New Brunswick. It's usually MUCH less expensive for Canadian travelers who want to go to points within the US to drive across the border and fly domestically than it would be to start out flying from Moncton / St. John / Fredericton.

It's a little wild that Bangor has more direct seats to Florida than PWM!

Last edited:
IMG_4576.jpeg

Apron expansion nearing completion at future Gate 14 to safely accommodate aircraft with wider wingspans. This will allow for two new jetways connected to an extended passenger transit bridge that will be attached to the west end of the terminal.

Last edited:
I've been flying to different cities around the U.S. this summer and I can't think of an airport that does not have current construction. It's what they do.

Agree. Most of Portland's construction during the past few years has been infrastructure related projects such as runway reconstruction, taxiways, replacing old jetways, enlarged deicing pads and apron improvements. Now it's time to give the terminal some attention and keep it updated so travelers using PWM get a positive first impression of the area. Future plans that include an FIS facility, an expanded baggage claim and eventually extending the terminal to the west will help when the airport finally receives its fair share of federal funding.

Last edited:
Agree. Most of Portland's construction during the past few years have been infrastructure related projects such as runway reconstruction, taxiways, replacing old jetways, enlarged deicing pads and apron improvements. Now it's time to give the terminal some attention and keep it updated so travelers using PWM get a positive first impression of the area. Future plans that include an FIS facility, an expanded baggage claim and eventually extending the terminal to the west will help when the airport finally receives its fair share of federal funding.
I still think a large dynamic photo above the escalator going down to baggage claim can be the best first impression at PWM. Ideally, the city skyline at dusk with the Old Port and waterfront in the foreground and the downtown in background, from around 300 to 400 feet up. I hired a drone operator for some marina pics last year, for a real estate venture. It cost me $650 and I would be willing to do it again, but only with assurances from Paul Bradley that it would be mounted that way. I have a friend that does giclee prints, large format, and he would give me a deal (at cost) for the print. Anyone with a connection to Paul set up a meeting, as I'm back in town for a week mid-next month. I can't do everything, or won't.

I'm sure you'll all have all sorts of problems with this methodology, but given the homeboying on this thread I just thought I'd annoy you :)

Thanks for the link.

"Security is a breeze, and the TSA agents are extremely professional." (Manchester) Yes, in a Hallmark Channel movie.

Congrats to MHT and I agree with the article's comments. Manchester was fortunate to be able to design and built a modern new terminal from scratch where Portland's has evolved through numerous expansions from the original 1968 structure. Have flown into or through most of the airports on the list and my first place vote would go to Savannah/Hilton Head International. Salt Lake City's new terminal is stunning and would get my nod for the large airport category.

I still think a large dynamic photo above the escalator going down to baggage claim can be the best first impression at PWM. Ideally, the city skyline at dusk with the Old Port and waterfront in the foreground and the downtown in background, from around 300 to 400 feet up. I hired a drone operator for some marina pics last year, for a real estate venture. It cost me $650 and I would be willing to do it again, but only with assurances from Paul Bradley that it would be mounted that way. I have a friend that does giclee prints, large format, and he would give me a deal (at cost) for the print. Anyone with a connection to Paul set up a meeting, as I'm back in town for a week mid-next month. I can't do everything, or won't.
I like your idea of the Skyline of Portland at dusk. Would love to see something like that above the escalator. Definitely an idea to run by Paul Bradbury.

It has already been discussed with Paul and he is onboard with some of the ideas but we are in a holding pattern until the baggage claim expansion is completed.

I'd love to see a better mural above the escalators, but I wonder how many cooks are in the kitchen on that... does it have to go through the Public Art Committee / Jetport Steering Committee / Discover Portland / Hand Wringing Committee (several of those) before something happens, or can Paul just pull the trigger on an idea?

Great question. I would think that Paul has plenty of influence in final decision but he did tell me that he has to coordinate with Clear Channel who has the media/marketing contract with PWM which involves the creation and placement of all signage and advertising needs.

Last edited:
Love that the apron has been expanded for a jet bridge to 12 and 14 but how long do we think until PWM can actually build a legit terminal expansion to the west there adding 2-3 more gates after gate 14?

Screen Shot 2022-04-14 at 2.21.20 PM.png

No exact timetable but the western and eastern expansion of the terminal (#18 and #24) are long term development projects in the airport master plan.

Last edited:
Great question. I would think that Paul has plenty of influence in final decision but he did tell me that he has to coordinate with Clear Channel who has the media/marketing contract with PWM which involves the creation and placement of all signage and advertising needs.
Perhaps a creative deal. Give them another space to advertise in exchange for allowing the large photo of Portland. Why would they not want to do this? I'm so tired of only linear thinking when Gov (de facto) is involved.

TC, there was no mention of any party not wanting to do this. I've planted the seed and these changes take time and I don't see anything happening until the baggage claim improvements are nearing completion. The grey painting of the exterior trim (to replace the blue) on the front of the terminal near baggage claim still has not been finished and that "minor" project has been going on for over a year. There is no such thing as an easy fix in today's world! :)

TC, there was no mention of any party not wanting to do this. I've planted the seed and these changes take time and I don't see anything happening until the baggage claim improvements are nearing completion. The grey painting of the exterior trim (to replace the blue) on the front of the terminal near baggage claim still has not been finished and that "minor" project has been going on for over a year. There is no such thing as an easy fix in today's world! :)
Not in mine. I have to solve tough problems for my work nearly every day. "Easy" is relative. We are talking about hanging a large horizontal photo--relatively lightweight--suspended from a ceiling, basically. It would be at the end of the down escalator so that riding down it passengers can get that first impression (JFK Airport has something related). And if too many hate it, take it down. And markhb is probably right. So many entities can get involved to muck up the process.

Back