Portland, ME - New Construction Continued

N50bKU6.jpg

Does anybody know if The Westin is proposing to help turn other nearby areas into parks or stick a few benches or something? I don't care but whatever it takes to sway the arguement. If they could take up a little less space for the ballroom and then build a nice area with benches and stuff facing congress street, I think that would look really good. Better than the sunken treasure there now.

Poor poster on the pressherald midtown article is getting taken out back and whipped right now. That's what he gets for stupid comments

Basically what you said, it sounds like there doing.

http://www.pressherald.com/news/seeking-plazas-sweet-spot_2013-04-24.html

I kind of wish the top of the east would have an outside area to have a few drinks. On a nice summer day that would be pretty awesome, even a warm summer night.

This is just a presentation by the developer with no public comment allowed so I will wait until there is a need to give positive input if necessary. The councilors I have talked to appear to be onboard with the project as long as it leaves some room for a small park. If it eventually wins approval, it will be the first new building constructed on Congress Street between Longfellow Square and Franklin Street since Two Monument Square was completed in 1981. The proposed Event Center will be a plus for Portland and the Westin and should mesh well with the Portland Museum of Art on the other side of the square.

Photo does not help much, hope there will be more in tomorrow's updated story.

Pretty bad pic but it shows that it does not bury the view from the corner and that's plenty of space for a plaza. I like how they say it will be glass around it with art inside. Looks like they're raising it all to street level which is good.

The one little picture on the Press Herald doesn't show much of the building, but the plaza and landscaping look kind of nice. Kind of curious about the blank wall on High Street and how far it stretches.

CongressSquarecrop.0424.jpg

Something else that caught my eye:

enLBG8S.png

Edit - Additional photo from the PPH article:
congresssq_proposal.jpg

Last edited:
They are definitely selling the pedestrian park aspect of this with that pretty lame/generic picture. Would be nice to see more of the building detail from better angles.

Think it said the building design wasn't ready but it's modern glass and material. Everybody go vote yes on the poll for the plaza on press herald website

Elm Terrace and Danforth on High
FNOz5nb.jpg

Courtyard by Marriott (Practicing for when there is actually a building here to take a photo of)
h41uO7T.jpg

Congratulations to everyone for surviving another Maine winter.
A night shot on ArchBoston - I am so excited ! I love to see a city light up. Danforth on High is coming along nicely - Thanks Corey

This month's (May 2013) Portland Magazine has a nice write up about all the new construction around town. Some of you may recognize the hypothetical illustration of the Midtown project:

XJPMj9b.jpg

Also, some Bay House from today:

MinPmP7.jpg

YzEK8MH.jpg

hUK3gV0.jpg

Last edited:
I don't remember seeing this on the planning board website. Here is project by Redfern Properties named Munjoy Heights. Looks like a decent infill project (not sure exactly where it is), kind of like the townhomes on Federal Street.

placeholder.jpg

Those are fine looking townhouses. Too bad the garage doors don't face a back alley rather than the front street.

Nice to see more progress on the Bay House. Looking at that last picture makes me wonder if any of the residents will be able to see over that big ole' garage? This reminds me of the Old Port where the garages (well, one in particular) are taller than the buildings around them!

Back