Portland, ME - New Construction Continued

This development fails to capitalize on the factor that makes Munjoy Hill capable of supporting rents/sales in the contemplated range ($500k +), which is an interconnected neighborhood with activated streets. Instead, it is a courtyard arranged around central parking. I'm sure some people will buy these, but I don't know who.

Here are some pictures of new Maine Med and federated proposals:

988702_10101632630118020_1941906447_n.jpg

1098080_10101632630142970_622039819_n.jpg

944765_10101632630207840_407239252_n.jpg

554886_10101632630242770_422900282_n.jpg

1011560_10101632630202850_1951470081_n.jpg

998033_10101632630282690_1515470593_n.jpg

1098067_10101632630277700_1168783492_n.jpg

933921_10101632630292670_735220685_n.jpg

954756_10101632630332590_625099812_n.jpg

1098393_10101632630352550_1573612882_n.jpg

944610_10101632630357540_1448095545_n.jpg

This development fails to capitalize on the factor that makes Munjoy Hill capable of supporting rents/sales in the contemplated range ($500k +), which is an interconnected neighborhood with activated streets. Instead, it is a courtyard arranged around central parking.

I agree. My girlfriend and I have been enjoying a sublet on Melbourne Street this summer and spending a lot of time walking around the east end. The variety of styles in the housing stock on the Hill is astounding. On just one block you'll have vastly different styles and quality of building. There are some amazing-looking properties and there is some real junk that looks like it's not fit for human occupation.

It seems like there are several of these new eco-friendly looking condo buildings on the east end. I'm thinking of one on Sheridan Street and another on Cumberland Ave in particular, but there are others. To me, they work because they're stand alone buildings (even though the one on Sheridan is pretty bulky).

I walked by the new Adams School condos developed by Avesta the other day, and I have mixed feelings about them. They're fairly aesthetically pleasing, but because all the units look the same and the footprint of the development is so large, it gives a very homogenous look to the whole block. It almost reminds me of the horrendous collection of cookie-cutter buildings bordered by Fore and Mountfort Streets on the south slope of the Hill.

I'm a supporter of the work Avesta does, and I believe that mixed income neighborhoods are a good thing. I also think that variety of style and design is essential to the urban fabric, and when you have blocks of copy-and-paste style housing it makes an area less unique and less interesting.

So while I wish we could afford to buy in this new Munjoy Heights development, because I'm sure the condos are going to be awesome, I don't like that it's got such a big footprint and that it's essentially arranged around a parking lot. Active neighborhoods require foot traffic, and if people walk out the back of their condo, get in their car and drive away, they're not stepping out onto the sidewalk to engage with their neighbors.

While I agree with both PortlandArch and Max, I'm also not quite sure if there's anything else they could do with this property other than a separated development.

Take a look at it on Google Maps:

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=43.668671,-70.252612&spn=0.00149,0.002401&safe=on&t=m&z=19

I don't think it's possible to directly extend Sheridan St and connect it to East Cove St due to the building labeled on Google Maps as "A&A Moving." Even if you did, you'd still end up with a dead end on the extended Sheridan, unless you build a new connector street to Washington Ave. Plus, the housing stock on East Cove St is somewhat blighted, and I'm sure that would be a turn-off to some potential buyers of $500k+ condos.

This whole area would be better served if the developer gobbled up all of the land within this development plus all of the housing and land on East Cove St and the property adjacent to that on Washington Ave. Level it all and build a fresh new neighborhood. I doubt that's financially viable, though.

Adams School Housing:

gy4ylWj.jpg

EsLkA8C.jpg

Courtyard by Marriott, Commercial Street:

CjiPgdb.jpg

Hyatt Place, Fore Street:

4ilgHRL.jpg

ZaGEmco.jpg

And, I'll stop taking photos of it now, Danforth on High. I'm happy with how this building turned out:

Oyr4plE.jpg

J2mZvcT.jpg

Seriously, I have to be the first to post this? You guys are getting weak...

Portland Co. complex – prime waterfront – is sold
The sale of the property at 58 Fore St. suggests the eastern waterfront is poised for development.

PORTLAND - A high-profile, 10-acre property on Portland's eastern waterfront that has long been looked at for a major development has been sold.

The sale of the Portland Co. Marine Complex, which has been on the market since 2008, closed Monday, said Tony McDonald of CBRE/The Boulos Co.

McDonald would not provide details about the purchase price, the buyer or what the future may hold for the property. He said it was a complex transaction.

"It was a multiparty transaction that also involved acquiring land on West Commercial Street," McDonald said.

The owner of the Portland Co. complex, Phineas Sprague Jr., has city approval to build a boat repair yard on West Commercial Street. He would not comment Friday on the sale. A news release is expected Monday.

The sale could be a sign that the eastern waterfront is poised for investment, said Greg Mitchell, the city's economic development director.

"New ownership opens the door to new ideas and new development opportunities," he said. "It's significant. It's clearly an attractive location."

The Portland Co. complex, at 58 Fore St., is outside the city's Waterfront Central Zone, which stretches from the Maine State Pier to the International Marine Terminal, so it is not subject to the strict zoning rules that protect Portland's working waterfront.

In 2002, the city published its Master Plan for Redevelopment of the Eastern Waterfront, which was updated in 2004 and 2006.

The study looked at the area bordered by Franklin, Middle, Hancock, Federal, Mountfort and Fore streets. It envisions a mix of uses, including homes, hotels, offices, restaurants and retail, with renovation of some of the historic buildings in the area.

Mitchell said the master plan calls for any redevelopment to complement existing residential, commercial and municipal land uses, including the Ocean Gateway cruise ship terminal.

The study notes that the Portland Co. complex is unique because its buildings are eligible for the National Register of Historic Places and it is the only private property in the study area with direct access to the water.

The Portland Co. was established in 1846 as a foundry to build railroad equipment for the connection between Portland and Montreal. It remained a significant steel fabricator until 1978.

The complex produced 628 locomotives, 160 ships and equipment for the Panama Canal, according to its website.

The property, with 1,000 linear feet of deep-water ocean frontage, is at the base of Munjoy Hill. It now houses several businesses and nonprofits, including Portland Yacht Services, the Maine Island Trail Association and the Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad and Museum.

According to the city's tax records, 58 Fore St. consists of seven acres of taxable property and three buildings valued at nearly $1.9 million. Two of the buildings date back to 1900, while the third was built in 1950.

McDonald said Sprague will continue operating the 128-slip marina on the property and hosting the popular flower and boat shows that are held at the complex each year.

In December, Sprague received city approval to build a boatyard -- to be called Canal Landing -- on about 22 acres at 40 W. Commercial St. -- just west of the Casco Bay Bridge.

Sprague subsequently decided to move his proposed boatyard farther west to free up land next to the International Marine Terminal for a cargo-related development, such as a cold-storage warehouse.

Officials from Eimskip, the Icelandic shipping company that began using the International Marine Terminal for container service in March, have said they hope that the steady supply of frozen fish it will import from northern Europe will encourage someone to build a cold-storage warehouse on the waterfront.

Sprague's plan for the boatyard would require the removal of trees, putting him at odds with the state's shoreland zoning laws.

However, the Legislature amended the laws to allow removal of trees in working "waterfront zones."

"It was a multiparty transaction that also involved acquiring land on West Commercial Street," McDonald said.

Sounds like Sprague is giving up on his boatyard on West Commerical too and just selling everything.

In others news:

http://www.pressherald.com/news/developer-delays-project-at-newspapers-former-home_2013-08-05.html

I'm not surprised at this at all. This was the last of the three new hotel projects to get off the ground, and if I was a bank, then I'd be weary of lending to them as well. Too much competition.

Where are getting Sprague giving up? He's selling that land to be able to buy the new land. Part of his 30 year plan.

I gleened it from this quote in the article:

I assumed this meant that the sale of this property included property on West Commercial that Sprague also owns. Am I incorrect?

Bay House:

8C9uY8E.jpg

Marriott and Hyatt:

I8Fyghr.jpg

Hyatt:

vXN1yvM.jpg

Just noticed that you can see the Marriott (and the very top of the Hyatt) coming off of the bridge on York Street:

Y00qAqu.jpg

Great shots Corey! Nice seeing that both of these projects are making moderate impacts on the skyline. It certainly adds to the step effect from the waterfront to the backbone that was discussed earlier in this forum.

An article in the press herald ran today about some proposed changes to one of the wharves.

Rebuilding the waterfront: city planners consider proposal for Maine Wharf

PORTLAND — The Planning Board on Tuesday will take up a proposed renovation and expansion of a building on Maine Wharf that could pave the way for a new fish market and seafood restaurant on the city's waterfront.
Maine Wharf is located off Commercial Street behind Ri Ra's Irish pub and the Dry Dock restaurant. The wharf had fallen in disrepair, and a partial collapse led to the eviction of several businesses in 2011.
The project would rebuild the existing 9,000-square-foot building closest to Commercial Street, while adding two stories totaling nearly 16,000 square feet of space.
Stephen Goodrich, founder of Portland-based Powerpay, purchased the wharf at 68-72 Commercial St. from Eric Cianchette.
Goodrich has since been working to stabilize pilings beneath the pier. His developer, Pat Tinsman, said pier building No. 1 will be redeveloped in phases as tenants are finalized.
The upper floors will be used for office space, Tinsman said. The ground-floor space has been advertised for months for marine-dependent uses but to no avail, he said.
Tinsman said he has received interest from people who want to open a fish market close to Commercial Street and a seafood restaurant next door.
"We're hoping to get as close as possible (to marine uses)," Tinsman said. "It would really be a nice amenity for the city."
Since Goodrich bought the pier, Tinsman said two groundfish trawlers have leased berthing space there.
Tinsman said interest from the prospective restaurateur and fish market operator is "serious" but no formal agreements have been signed.
"I can't really sign up any tenants because we don't have any approvals," he said.
Upper floors of pier buildings are allowed to be used for office space, but a restaurant would require a change of use permit from the city.
Rules for the Waterfront Central Zone, which runs from the Maine State Pier to the International Maine Terminal, allow for up to 45 percent of ground-floor pier space farther than 125 feet from Commercial Street -- or closer than 25 feet to the water -- to be leased to nonmarine uses. However, pier owners must first market their ground-floor space to marine uses for at least 60 days.
According to planning documents, an advertisement for 9,000 square feet of marine-related space and 250 lineal feet of dockage for $12 per square foot was placed in the Working Waterfront newspaper in May and June.
The ad also appears on the online-based classified service Craigslist.
The 1.2-acre wharf is about 75 feet by 700 feet. It was originally developed in the 19th century and was used as a coal terminal.
More recently, the pier has been used for vessel berthing and seafood and marine businesses.
"Overall, the architectural program shows a contemporary adaptation of an industrial building well-suited to its waterfront context," City Planner Bill Needelman wrote in an Aug. 9 memo to the Planning Board.
The interior will be largely left open, so it can be fitted up to meet the needs of the tenant. The first floor ceiling is being raised to 15 feet to meet current requirements.
The same applies to the exterior, which is described in the planning memo as "industrial metal siding and generous fenestration."
William Hopkins, the project architect, said Monday it's too soon release renderings for the building, because the final design depends greatly on the tenant.

Randy Billings can be contacted at 791-6346 or at
rbillings@mainetoday.com
Twitter: @randybillings

^Sounds like good news, fixing up an existing pier and making it marketable to new tenants. If no marine-dependent businesses are interested in the space then it sounds reasonable to open it up to other businesses.

Unrelated - The Hyatt along Fore Street:

1U1gaKL.jpg

I hope they have some good sound proofing in that building. Can't imagine too many business clients like the ruckus outside the building at night

^ I recall the noise being an issue for the Portland Harbor Hotel a few years back. From looking at reviews of the hotel, it sounds (no pun intended) like a lot of people opt for rooms that face the relatively quiet courtyard of the hotel. I suppose the backside of the new Hyatt will be pretty quiet as it currently overlooks that electrical substation.

uq39Ug6.jpg

Ln7Y2rQ.jpg

Courtyard by Marriott:

7Yv4k1B.jpg

sQjfKwh.jpg

I like the stonework so far:

Um4FmuX.jpg

Eastland/Westin:

Im00XUg.jpg

Last edited:
Moving some dirt around at the new Avesta project on Cumberland Avenue:

lwucnEx.jpg

Westin Eastland:

4IHtv2Y.jpg

From the Observatory tonight:

The Bay House:
6LuMXoa.jpg

The Hyatt Place:
xqo8waZ.jpg

Did anybody watch the stream or go to that meeting last night about Congress Square Plaza wherre they took over 3 hours of public comment? It would have been funny if I didn't live here to watch that. I know many of you on this board lean left(politically I mean) but if you don't think that the far left hippie art student collection in this city is straight foolish then you didn't see what I saw. Not only do they talk three times slower than the normal folks, they are delusional. I've never heard so many foolish comments and childish behavior from people that weren't in elementary school. Up at the microphone with rhymes and doing characters. These people don't want to save the park, they wanna fight the system. They want to feel oppressed by the man. Since they are white and have mommy and daddy paying for their MECA tuition they have to go out of their way to find "the man" that is keeping them down. I love Portland but it's so frustrating with the people that have overrun it, both from here and away. All I heard about was how treasured this "park" was and how once it's sold you'll never get it back. Not one time did I hear anybody actually mention that the most historical location is the Eastland Hotel behind it and Rockbridge is investing over 50 million to save it.

Did anybody watch the stream or go to that meeting last night about Congress Square Plaza wherre they took over 3 hours of public comment? It would have been funny if I didn't live here to watch that. I know many of you on this board lean left(politically I mean) but if you don't think that the far left hippie art student collection in this city is straight foolish then you didn't see what I saw. Not only do they talk three times slower than the normal folks, they are delusional. I've never heard so many foolish comments and childish behavior from people that weren't in elementary school. Up at the microphone with rhymes and doing characters. These people don't want to save the park, they wanna fight the system. They want to feel oppressed by the man. Since they are white and have mommy and daddy paying for their MECA tuition they have to go out of their way to find "the man" that is keeping them down. I love Portland but it's so frustrating with the people that have overrun it, both from here and away. All I heard about was how treasured this "park" was and how once it's sold you'll never get it back. Not one time did I hear anybody actually mention that the most historical location is the Eastland Hotel behind it and Rockbridge is investing over 50 million to save it.

once again youve made me actually laugh out loud

Back