Portland, ME - New Construction Continued

^They recently updated the article to include a rendering:

AR-130609912.jpg

Kind of interesting I guess, reminds me of the Jetport. The article has some quotes from the city's urban designer. I didn't know someone held that position on a municipal level. Sounds like a fun job.

My biggest complaint about the expansion of Maine Med over the years is that each addition they've built hasn't been consistent in design with the existing buildings. It's like a giant mass of inidividual buildings clustered together rather than a cohesive and consistent campus of buildings. If it was surrounded by buildings of similar scale it probably wouldn't be so blatant to me. This new addition is not going to help.

Courtyard by Marriott, Commercial Street
N1OXPCV.jpg

Hyatt Place
1ARQcbx.jpg

Hyatt (and Danforth on High in the distance)
seYdFuG.jpg

Bay House
AWLb9G2.jpg

Great photo updates Corey! Definetely some great angles in there. The third pic easily puts the Hyatt and Danforth into an understandable context in relation to the surrounding area (for those of us in distant places). It's nice to see a lot of projects around town coming to fruition so quicky. I think Portland is nailin' it down with the vast array of urban infill projects around the peninsula.

^They recently updated the article to include a rendering:

AR-130609912.jpg

Kind of interesting I guess, reminds me of the Jetport. The article has some quotes from the city's urban designer. I didn't know someone held that position on a municipal level. Sounds like a fun job.

Maine Med has had this in the works for a few years. I heard it was supposed to be a tower, but this looks somewhat scaled back. Cool design though.

Nice pics too

A regular Sunday afternoon crowd and the Hyatt on Fore Street in the distance:

YzU1aSE.jpg

I got a lot of shots around town during the Old Port Fest, including lots from the One City Center patio (I was graciously offered a pass to get up there by Goodwill Northern New England via twitter). Here's just one of Paranoid Social Club:

HyITiGd.jpg

Funny that this forum is so quiet now that so many buildings are sprouting up around town.

Courtyard by Marriott, Commercial Street:
TrIl8x3.jpg

Good observation. Any recent updates on the Bay House or the Danforth on High project? Thanks for the updates!

Edit: Checked out Bay House on Portland Daily Photo. Looks like both buildings are topped off.

Last edited:
I do need to make my way over to the Bay House again soon, thanks for the reminder!

Danforth on High:
fD55TXZ.jpg

Interesting read in the Forecaster today concerning all the new development around town.

'A new golden age'?: Leaders see construction boom in Portland

PORTLAND — In 2023, a visitor to the city walks out the front door of his Commercial Street hotel. He may turn left to grab dinner at any number of eateries along the waterfront, or ascend to a rooftop bar for a drink looking over Casco Bay.

To get back to his hotel, this visitor may have two new options: Walk to the other end of Commercial Street and into the new downtown train station, or take an aerial tram to the Portland International Jetport and hop a flight.

Welcome to future Portland.

Read more...

Glad to see life pumped back into the old girl. New window treatments on that part of the facade will improve the building's exterior considerably. Am still surprised that an upscale brand like Westin did not find a way to add an indoor pool seeing the property will have close to 300 rooms. I miss the former rooftop pool back in the seventies!

Fantastic Shots Corey ! I love how you captured size and scale of hotel projects and Danforth On Hight lit up

Back