Portland, ME - New Construction Continued

I want to know what "eliminating the project amenities" refers to.

The original plan was supposed to include a "high degree of natural site amenities, and to promote public recreational use of trails which integrate
with a larger trail system."

http://www.portlandmaine.gov/orders/FY04-05/67.pdf

It's funny. We drove by this property a few weeks ago and I wondered aloud to wife if anything would ever be built there.

Hyatt this evening:

9b3XNuB.jpg

URHlgMn.jpg

Abstract:
6Wga8Fy.jpg

And, shameless self promotion: The new city website is finally up and features photos by yours truly.

How the hell could the Hyatt not have that corner leased by now? I thought there was going to be far more space for retail/restaurant. I think it's just that one corner

The original plan was supposed to include a "high degree of natural site amenities, and to promote public recreational use of trails which integrate
with a larger trail system."

http://www.portlandmaine.gov/orders/FY04-05/67.pdf

It's funny. We drove by this property a few weeks ago and I wondered aloud to wife if anything would ever be built there.

Unfortunately, you posted that just before the city put its new website live and all those old orders vanished into the æther.

Corey, gorgeous photos as always... I need to get down there in the evening and see the place after dark. And congrats on having the city use your work... any issues I'm having with the new site have nothing to do with your art! (Unless you were the usability consultant, in which case we need to have words....)

Unfortunately, you posted that just before the city put its new website live and all those old orders vanished into the æther.

It still works for me when I click on it, though maybe it's just saved in my temporary internet files.

Here's more detail from the document on the amenities and parking:

2. GRAVES HILL is authorized to establish and maintain the following uses on the R- 5A portion of the property:

a. Up to 98 residential units located in two buildings, each building containing up to 49 units, which may be sold as condominium units, resulting in a maximum total of ninety-eight (98) residential units within the Property; and

b. a community room in each building available for use by the residents of the PRUD; and

c. a small office in each building to be used by employees of the condominium owners’ association, only for on-site property management and concierge services for 802 Ocean Avenue, if determined necessary by the condominium owners’ association; and

d. a fitness and special events room in each building available for use by the residents of the PRUD; and

e. a cross country ski center/locker room in each building available for use by the residents of the PRUD; and

f. parking in an amount of not less than 2 spaces per residential unit, plus at least 28 additional surface visitor parking spaces; and

g. a trail system traversing the site, extending from Ocean Avenue to connect with the trail system on the R-OS portion of the site.

There's more in there about the developer creating a network of trails and working with Portland Trails to connect to their network and allow public access, as well as preserving the rest of the property once the buildings are constructed.

Last edited:
Corey, gorgeous photos as always... I need to get down there in the evening and see the place after dark. And congrats on having the city use your work... any issues I'm having with the new site have nothing to do with your art! (Unless you were the usability consultant, in which case we need to have words....)

Thanks! I just provided the photos. Hopefully they can get the site up to par. I think I saw that it was outsourced to a company that specializes in municipal websites so they should know what they are doing.

The other new hotel sign (I like all these vertical signs as of late):

dwLO5Cu.jpg

This isn't a North Korean workers' dormitory, it's the new Graves Hill project (image from the Planning Board agenda). They're actually proposing two of these:

niqI3vB.png

For the record (and the Google search results) this is the work of Archetype Architects, David Lloyd and Bill Hopkins, principals. At least it's out in the woods by the abandoned landfill and the Falmouth town line.

Last edited:
North Korean dormitory is dead on. The original sketches are a billion times better than that.

^I look forward to seeing the plans for the lot. Seems like a good spot for a "landmark" sort of building since it's kind of a gateway into the city (coming from across the bridge at least).

Some crappy Munjoy Heights panoramas from my cellphone this evening, a soon to be $559,000+ view:

YckUx3k.jpg

RV7SrNA.jpg

Thanks. Just booked myself a little trip on her this summer.

I really like the lighting accents on the top of the Hyatt. It's pretty noticeable on the front of the building too when crossing over the Casco Bay Bridge.

mHvrBCA.jpg

rd5GatU.jpg

And Munjoy Heights:
vD40c39.jpg

I like the lighting also Corey as I noticed it the other evening. Kind of strange that there is not a regular pattern to the placement of the lights which stirs up some of my order and function issues! Even window alignment is irregular, oh well.

Back