Portland, ME - New Construction Continued

2BfHb6n.jpg

I can't see Bayside, all of the skyscrapers have blocked out the entire view.

Another new Avesta product is in the works for Washington Avenue per today's article in the PPH. It would be replacing a decrepit old house near the intersection with Walnut and Fox Streets. The rendering isn't much too look at, but neither is what is there now.

20140422_597848.xml-housing-artistrendition.jpg

Haha, I found the unicycles an odd addition to the rendering as well.

Hyatt Place:

Ih2MjwH.jpg

BScPL8L.jpg

Back to two lanes:
XYYH2wl.jpg

Maine Wharf:
Rume1CJ.jpg

Casco Bay Lines terminal:
tjSyRTV.jpg

^I'll have to check it out this weekend after dark, glad to hear they put some effort into the lighting.

Quick shot across Back Cove towards Munjoy Heights, gives you a good sense of the scale of the project:

Hwc5Vvs.jpg

Nice shot, too bad the project isn't a little taller (10 floors at least). It's such a great vantage point and low-rise buildings only provide so many units...

Nice shot, too bad the project isn't a little taller (10 floors at least). It's such a great vantage point and low-rise buildings only provide so many units...

You haven't heard yet? We can't have buildings over 5 stories tall here in Portland. Any building over 5 stories will cause hurricane force winds every day of the year, solar eclipses (but only on sunny days) and ruin the entire city from the East End to Stroudwater to North Deering for the next 5,000 to 10,000 years. Scientific studies by Keep Portland Livable have concluded that they may also attract man-eating bears to the city, and that threatens the ability of unicycle-riding hipster gangs to roam freely throughout the streets. Bears can sense restricted blood flow to the legs due to tight pants and are attracted to that. They are also attracted to has-been landscape architects with an over-inflated sense of self worth.

That would be a weird place for 10 story buildings......especially considering the low rise housing behind it. Maybe if it were at the top of the hill? I think that this development totally makes sense and they are selling like hotcakes!

west end place might be starting construction.alliedcook is digging up by the corner of bracket and pine st.

You guys remember the "Graves Hill" project planned for outer Ocean Avenue, near the Falmouth town line? This week's planning board notice suggests that it might be coming back from the real estate bubble graveyard (with less parking and 4% fewer units)...

EVENING WORKSHOP IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWING PUBLIC HEARING

i. Amendment to Conditional Rezoning Agreement; Casco Heights Condominiums (formerly Graves Hill Development); 802-828 Ocean Avenue; Ridge Development, LLC., Applicant. The Planning Board will consider proposed amendments to include, but are not limited to, changing the name to Ridge Development, LLC.; reducing the total number of units allowed from 98 to 94; eliminating the project amenities; reducing building height, changing the zone line and modifying the amount of area within the ROS and R-5A zones; and changing the parking ratio to allow 2 spaces for multi-bedroom units and 1 space per 1 bedroom unit.

Here's the rendering they were pitching back in 2006.

graveshill2.jpg

northhighrises.jpg

You guys remember the "Graves Hill" project planned for outer Ocean Avenue, near the Falmouth town line? This week's planning board notice suggests that it might be coming back from the real estate bubble graveyard (with less parking and 4% fewer units)...
I want to know what "eliminating the project amenities" refers to. As for eliminating the height, the height and the attendant waterfront views would be the best thing about living up there!

Back