Portland, ME - New Construction Continued

https://flic.kr/p/YVtWL9

https://flic.kr/p/YWWet5

36732261393_a3ca1df6fb_b.jpg
[/url]https://flic.kr/p/XXUrzB

Nice photos BeeLine, it's great to see vacant lots being developed into various uses.

Yes, thanks for the update photos. Not the most exciting architecture out there, but better than a vacant lot. Looks like brick is here to stay, cemented as Portland's style and ethos. But those harbor side curved picture windows from floors 3 to 6 in the new Marriott will be perhaps the best views in town. Just might have to rent one of those rooms for a late-afternoon soiree.

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics Beeline! Knowing you take a lot of pics around Beantown and Cambridge, what do you think about all of the activity going on up here in P-town?

Nice find! If/when that block is fully built out, the water district's transfer station structure is really going to be an odd duck. If the structure must remain there I wonder if anything can be done to screen or otherwise improve it aesthetically. Those sketches above appear to show some additional street trees or landscaping but that doesn't mitigate the visual impact of that structure very much.

Nice find! If/when that block is fully built out, the water district's transfer station structure is really going to be an odd duck. If the structure must remain there I wonder if anything can be done to screen or otherwise improve it aesthetically. Those sketches above appear to show some additional street trees or landscaping but that doesn't mitigate the visual impact of that structure very much.

No idea when they intend to break ground, but given that vacancy rates for downtown office space are quite low, and the India St. Neighborhood is VERY hot, I would assume the build-out for that block won't take too long.

I'm amazed that the pumping station has been tolerated this long. It's becoming an increasing eyesore on that corner. The easiest solution would be to shroud it in trees or hedges and make it a kind of "micro-park" Or spend a pretty penny to move the facility and open the land for development.

The new seven story building has been improved visually, the angled glass portion of the facade facing the harbor is a nice touch. The pumping station in the renderings has been tweaked from how it currently appears and it will not be relocated. Was told that there will be more plantings to disguise it better once the block is finished out. Also heard that the wooden (eyesore) structure on the corner where the asian restaurant was located is going to be renovated in the near future.

Has anyone seen this ^ in the planning or historical board process yet? I'll upload 170 Fore to Emporis tonight for approval. Good find

That new block is impressive. And after the new WEX building and the Portland Company Project is done, this area will be the most dynamic modern office/living/recreational waterfront area in the Northeast U.S., other than what's found in Boston and NYC of course. What else can compare on the eastern seaboard? Maybe Charleston, S.C. and certainly Miami, but not Jacksonville or Norfalk, VA. Not Providence. Just need to get rid of that ugly oil tank farm across the harbor and continue development there, but different, maybe an outdoor concert venue and expanded park options.

..... Just need to get rid of that ugly oil tank farm across the harbor and continue development there, but different, maybe an outdoor concert venue and expanded park options.

Well if the city of South Portland gets its way in their lawsuit against Portland Pipeline Co. That just might happen!

Has anyone seen this ^ in the planning or historical board process yet? I'll upload 170 Fore to Emporis tonight for approval. Good find

I don't think I've seen 170 Fore specifically on agendas for either Board, but I've seen several preliminary renderings of the whole block during review of the AC Hotel and 20 Thames Street. As someone else mentioned, it appears the design of this building is evolving, and I think this is the first time I've seen it referred to as "170 Fore" street.

I was down at India Street today and noticed they already have fencing & porta potties up at the WEX building site. Looks like this thing is about to get underway, talk about fast!

I was curious to find out what was going on with the Ocean Gateway garage and I found this rendering via a Google search. Looks like they're trying to squeeze a bit of office space into a new front for the garage. Does anyone know anything more about this?

14228400_Ocean_Gateway___Proposed_Addition__002_-w600h400.jpg

Back